Print Thread
Rate Thread
#13008 11/06/06 11:13 AM
D
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
D
The 57's gennie generator went south, so I'm replacing it with the modern GM SI alternator.

Does anyone know of a ready-made bracket designed for the 235? I can always cut-n-weld to modify the old generator bracket, but for the sake of time, I'd just as soon buy one. Everything I've seen on the web, though, as been for small block applications.

D
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
D
Rick, Check the 12 Port Advertisers link on the homepage. Larrowe's shows several styles on their site,one of which is from Patrick Dykes.They run 40 to 50 bucks, but you can make one cheaper or modify your generator bracket with a spacer and approprite bolt.Someone on EBay also list them occasionally.

Drew
Mid-Atlantic Chapter
B
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
B

Inliner #1916
D
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
D
Thanks for the suggestions!

I like the Alan Grove bracket, and it's just inside my max price range (didn't want to pay more than fifty bucks).

When I converted my 8N Ford tractor to a 12V pos ground system a few years back, I spent a Saturday afternoon fabbing a bracket so it would tuck the alternator under the hood in the original location of the old 6-volt generator. When I finished, the bracket really looked nice, but about six months later I saw one for sale for $35. Considering the time involved, and with all the projects I have going as it is, I confess to often looking for the easy solution first, especially for something like brackets.

M
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
M
I used an aftermarket chrome bracket that is meant for V8 headers on my 216. The front hole lined up the pulley with the damper and water pump and all that was needed was to elongate the rear bracket hole to get the bolt into the side of the block. $12 and 20 minutes time. The 216 had the wide belt so a pulley made to use this alt on a Ford flathead with the 5/8" belt was also bought. An amazing $19 for a plain steel pulley.

I don't know for sure if your belt pulleys are the same distance off the block as the 216 but if they are then all you need to do is elongate the rear hole in the new bracket. Your belt width will work with the alternator pulley as is. On the 216 even the original upper adjusting bracket and belt worked. Worst case you need a longer belt for yours.

Any parts store that sells the chrome "hi performance" items should have the bracket. It looks like a sideways letter F.

Mike G #4355
Contributor
Contributor
On the 235, 261, and 216's I've converted, I've just used the factory generator brackets. Just flip the water pump to gen bracket upside down and it works fine. I just cut and welded the block bracket to fit the alternator and elongated the slots to line the alternator pulley up. If you have one of the old style wider belts you can just take the pulley off the generator and put it on the alternator, the shaft sizes are the same!

1950 Chevy pickup with '62 261, 4 speed.

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (stock49), 336 guests, and 34 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB
6,784 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available