Print Thread
Rate Thread
B
Blurr Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
B
The stock intake and Rochester 1bbl on my wife's 62 Nova wagon (194ci) need to be replaced. even after 2 rebuilds, the carb is seeping fuel out of the gaskets and i'm quite certain isn't performing the way it should be. soooo i'm trying to figure out which 2bbl/intake will fit with the least modifications and work the best. i don't need extreme performance, i just need a modern upgrade that will work.

potential issues:
-hood clearance
-linkage

have any of you put a 2bbl on your Chevy I-6 194 motor? what carb/intake did you use and how easy was it to install? thanks in advance

J
Contributor
Contributor
J
I know others with a lot more knowledge than me can tell what has worked but if it were me I would use a Clifford stlye manifold over the Offenhauser style. I like "tapered" intakes runners. When the valve opens the velocity at the valve is greater and it doesn't have such a "square" corner to go around. As for fitting you application?

The other thing I would do is use a progressive 2 barrel. Much better on economy. On any street aluminum manifold make sure you heat it for the best driveability. Personally I like exhaust heat as the stock exhause manifold does. Good Luck I'm sure you will hear from others.

216.158 MPH 12-Port 302 GMC on 70% 171.0 MPH 302 stock head on gasoline 7 years later
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
The clifford is more for MID. to top end performance. As for the Offey it is More for LOW to mid range power. An My personal 2cents is for your STOCK daily driver STICK with the Offey.The offey is also more suited for the stock exhaust Where as The CLIFFORD IS NOT and the progressive
webber/holley 2 barrel may also be best suited for your stock 194. Check with Tom Langdon for that carb.

Larry/Twisted6
[oooooo] smile
Adding CFM adds boost smile
shocked God doesn't like ugly.
D
Contributor
Contributor
D
The OFFY is easy to find and less $ and you can bolt it up with stock exhaust, but (unless you want to run multiple rochesters)they only come set up for a 4bbl carb so will have make an adaptor plate to run the 2 bbl. You can also just buy an adapter and run a 2bbl on you stock manifold, Langdon's has the adapter, carb(the holley/weber) and the linkage.

B
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
B
I would find a good carb rebuilder to go through the stock carb. Find another stock carb in better condition if yours is in bad shape and no good for another rebuild.

Once you get a stock carb on there that is is running properly your wife will be happy again, no need to go to the expense of aftermarket parts in my opinion.

B
Blurr Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
B
thanks for the thoughts guys...

if i were to put on the weber/holley on my stock manifold, would i notice any increase in performance or would it make better sense to pair it with an offy/clifford intake to notice anything? like i said, this won't be a performance engine, just an around-towner but it would be nice to walk away with a little better get-up-and-go.

b-man: i have thought about taking the Rochester for a proper rebuild but by the time labor is considered, i would be spending $100+. if i'm going to spend this kind of money, might as well put on that weber/holley or something similar. don't you think?

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
He can't run the adaptor In the 62 no room under the hood. Maybe with out a air cleaner?????? Or a very Low profile.

Larry/Twisted6
[oooooo] smile
Adding CFM adds boost smile
shocked God doesn't like ugly.
D
Contributor
Contributor
D
If you are going to keep it stock I would say to go with the Offy, but you still might not be that impressed with just a carb and/or manifold change.
Larry is probably right about the clearance issue...I don't think there is a drop base air filter available for the holley/weber.

B
Blurr Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
B
cool, i'll start pricing the offy manifold and holley/weber carb.

does anyone know how tricky the linkage will be with this setup? will i have to make my own brackets or anything?

B
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
B
I would spend the $100+ on the stock carb rebuild. Once you start replacing the intake/carb/linkage/aircleaner with non-stock items you open a whole new can of worms. This is one instance where stock equipment is the best choice in my opinion.

If you were heading down the road towards a high-performance engine build I'd say go for the aftermarket intake pieces. In this case it sounds like you're more interested in a good running stock engine for a daily driver rather than a faster/more powerful modifed one.

For better get-up-and-go I'd intall a good stock 250 engine in place of the 194. Good luck.

D
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
D
Blurr,
I agree with the stay stock posts for your issue here.
Switching carbs & intakes will only feel worth it if you plan more work on the engine and then your first step might be to get a 250 or 292 under the hood anyway.

$100 isnt much for a rebuild carb if they guarantee it.

Or, look around the swap meets, for $10-$20 you can find some pretty nice BC or BV carbs.

Try a DIFFERENT carb - then throw a $20 kit in it and see what ya got. Small investment!

Keep that 194 stock carb size, good on gas, etc

The 5200 Weber progressive 2v would be a little better on mileage, I'd guess 1-2mpg, and on power, about a 5hp increase. At the drag strip, you might be a carlength or so faster. Is that really a goal?

You could use the larger 292cid carb and get the same increase, but since it's all in 1 barrel it will BOG that little 194 down low, I've done this so dont bother. \:\(

B
Blurr Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
B
ok ok, you win! there's a shop just down the street from where i live that i've had a good experience with that will take a look at my carb. i frequently see other classic cars in their bays, that makes me feel a little better about it.

hopefully i'll report good news!

B
Blurr Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
B
i took the advice of this forum and brought my Nova to a local shop where they gave the Rochester a complete going-through. they milled the surfaces and dialed that little sucker in perfectly.

now it runs great, no fuel seepage, no stumbling. it cost more than i thought but it was worth it.

thanks again for your thoughts.

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 364 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available