Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
J
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
J
Ive got a chevy 250, not exactly sure on the year, because now its in my 82 CJ5. The problem is that I just got through a long and drawn out tranny replacement that took a year to complete due to funds and lack of time. The engine ran good a year ago, but once I got the trans in and tried to fire it up, its been an uphill struggle. So far, Ive replaced : CARB, COIL, PLUGS, WIRES, FULL OF GAS, AND CHECKED TIMING (which I believe is right). We did manage to get it to idle yesterday after the carb replacement, and it would crank on its own. ANY advice will be GREATLY appreciated.

-NIC

I
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
I
You didn't mention if your distributer is HEI or point type or ???..

T
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
T
Dude,
I've done the same swap in my 85 CJ7 and had trouble firing it up also. What I found was the Jeep used a resistor wire going to the coil. I used a HEI ignition on the 250 and this was cutting the voltage down to the HEI.
I just removed the resistor wire and replaced it with normal wire and it started.

Other things I had troube with were I had 2 plug wires swapped around, the fuel pump was bad, and the timing was way off. I think I finally got it running with 4 deg advance but with the HEI I now run about 10 and have the plug gaps at 60.

This was good swap for me. I've ran my CJ every day for about 2 years with this motor.

Hope this helps
Gregg

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (41 Coupe), 364 guests, and 42 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available