Print Thread
Rate Thread
I
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
I
\:D HI GUY'S, HOPE YOU CAN HELP!!! \:D

I've learned a lot, talking to some of you. So i'll scale down my grandiose ideas!!

O.K., what is the best "PERFORMING", most "RELIABLE" carburetor that's as new as possible (before any pollution restrictions were added on!!) and will bolt straight on as a replacement (without adapters!!) to my stock 55 chevy intake Manifold!!!
Any idea's???????
(1-2 or 4 bbl. carb. i don't care!!)
(whichever gives the best performance!!)
(the most reliability, what Year/Model?)

Now the gas tank!!!:
It's never been removed, so there's who know's what in there after 52 years!!!! I know now that a RADIATOR shop might be able to clean it up and seal it. But i'm really hoping that someone out there has the knowledge and experience of newer cars as well to aid me!!!
Ideally, i would like to find as "NEW" a fuel tank as possible w/the built-in sending unit & possible built-in fuel pump included!!!!
Must fit the stock location (and ideally the mounting straps-but i can modify my own straps if needed) Any ideas on a "new" car/truck fuel tank swap/interchange or from a "newer vechile junkyard!?". The dimensions of my 55 chevy stock fuel tank are: [23" long x 22" wide x 8" high/deep!!] PLEASE HELP!!!

Researched costs to replace all stock parts OEM-NEW ARE:16 Gallon Fuel tank = $180-235.00(us)
:OEM sending unit and p/up tube w/filter=$70-80.00(us) :Fuel lines (hard 5/16" dia. lines)=$1.00/ft(can.) or 3/8" flexible braided fuel line=$3.00/ft or more(can.)
Considering the exchange rate & shipping costs + extended time to deliver (4 to 6 weeks+) on some items...... The total cost of to fix this is estimated at around = $500.00 PLUS+ !!!
(these figures do not include labor!!!)

It's got to be cheaper to find a suitable matching fuel tank here in canada!!!!!! NOW, all new gas tanks have both their sending units, fuel filters and electric fuel pumps built-in!!!! (no need to buy separate parts!!!) Additionally, if i could find these newer complete tanks pkgs. the quality of the parts would be far superior to OEM 52 year-old stock designed components!!!

So help me out if you can, Please!!!

If you or anyone you know might have an idea, please don't be shy, i need your help!!!!

This 55 chevy inline six is our only form of transportation, bought new by my grandpa and passed down to me to remember him by, then eventually i'll pass it on to my son. It will never be for sale and is a member of the family!!
We need her back on the road NOW!!!

\:D MANY THANKS!!!!!! \:D

\:\) ISLANDMAN!!! \:\)

J
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
J
The factory (stock) one is just fine.

Is your tank pluged??

If so, the Radiator Shop is the place. If not, simply flush it out with some Diesel fuel & then fresh gas etc.

Good luck. \:\)

John M., I.I. #3370

"There are no shortcuts to any place worth going". -Anon
H
Contributor
Contributor
H
Find out how much a radiator shop will charge you. It may end up being only slightly less than a new tank.

So you have a car, truck, wagon, etc? It may affect the prices for a new tank.

I put a brand new 60s mustang tank in my 59 Chevy including the sender, etc for around $120 shipped, so there are other options, but the stock replacement would be the easiest and fastest.

'59 Chevy BelAir (v8)
'50 Chevy Fleetline DeLuxe ('55 235)
'48 Chevy Fleetmaster coupe (late 261)
Chicago
J
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
J
Dear I-man;

Replacing the tank (with new) is the last resort,unless it has been severly contaminated/damaged and NO other is available.

Generally speaking; It's cheaper to have it repaired or replace with a good used one. Usually a Radiator Shop can do this (check/flush) for under a $100 if you "carry in".

Here; We cannot see it to make further judgements.

Good luck. \:\)

John M., I.I. #3370

"There are no shortcuts to any place worth going". -Anon
I
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
I
\:\) THANKS GUYS!!! \:\)

Well, a new wrinkle to my problems!! Situations beyond my control has caused a severe cash flow problem!!! \:\(

Now i have to find some way to repair, rather than to replace the parts!!! :rolleyes:

I'll do a new post, so check it out if you think you can help!!!

Post title: "Need to repair Carb. & fuel tank on a stock 1955 chevy car!!!

Many, many thanks guys for helping!!!!

\:\) Islandman \:\)

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 563 guests, and 24 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
castironphil, uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony
6,785 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available