Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#14627 03/12/07 01:53 AM
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
I just joined up, I bought my 71 Stepside in Dec:

I have been trying hard to get fully road worthy ever since, it ran great except on the freeway it clattered like crazy. I've always wanted an inline 6 again, and when I found out my 350 had a spun bearing, I decided I was going to go for it.

I found a good used 250 from a 73 Nova online Saturday morning, and by the end of the day, I had come home with a new engine!

A guy called about the 350 that same afternoon and he came by that night and we pulled it out, and now it's gone! I am very happy at the rate this is going...

A guy from the 67-72 board is sending me the motor mount brackets I need and I bought all the other parts I am going to need today, so the rest of the week will be cleaning and painting and changing gaskets etc. I am very excited to be driving a really cool truck with good gas mileage with lots of upgrade potential. Alot of people are looking at me like I am crazy for replacing a 350 with a 250... I just smile :p

Don't really have any questions as yet, just wanted to say hello, and I guess I am looking for a power steering bracket... That's the one thing I am lacking... Great group!

L
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
L
Welcome aboard, nice looking truck. I'm thinking about doing the same with my 68 C20, except using a 292. You came to the right when you get ready to mod that six.

Larry

Ignorance can be fixed Stupidity is forever
B
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
B
Good luck with your "backwards" conversion. The truck will drive great with the 250 and with the right exhaust make some much cooler sounds...

Inliner #1916
M
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
M
Welcome aboard. Love those 67 - 72 short beds!
The 250 looks like it may have been recently rebuilt judging by the color and condition of the head and block. Good for you.

Mike G #4355
B
Contributor
Contributor
B
Welcome! I'm over on the other board too under the same name.

1968 Camaro - 250 (No, I'm not gonna drop a 350 in it!....Jeez!)
1968 C-10 with 2 extra cylinders
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Looking good & Welcome to the Inliners World Of Buzzing fun \:\)

Larry/Twisted6
[oooooo] smile
Adding CFM adds boost smile
shocked God doesn't like ugly.
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Hey guys, I am all done and trying to start this bad boy but apparently having timing issues, I am getting spark to the plugs and gas to the carb just fine, so I figure it is the distributor stab stuff.

I double checked that TDC is on the #1 (manually turn and rag method) it ended up just before the timing marker, I manually pulled it over the couple of inches to 12 before TDC and stabbed the dist pointing to the #1 plug wire. Tried starting it and it backfires through the exhaust.

Pulled the cap and bumped the starter so the rotor is 180 degrees opposite from the #1, again the timing mark was sitting just before the tab and manually pulled it up to about 12 BTDC then pulled the dist, and restabbed it to the #1 position. Now it doesn't back fire through the exhaust at all but spits (not backfires) through the carb. I ran through the whole range around where the rotor would be hitting the #1 wire on the cap and it acts like it is too advanced (compression seizing).

Any ideas? I feel like the stab is right this time but I could be wrong. Which is closer? spitting through the carb or the exhaust? haha I didn't try the whole range of timing locations in the first position because I figured backfiring was bad.

Here's a pic of the finished product

Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Houston, we have ignition! Apparently I had it stabbed right the first time yesterday when I first put the dist in, it backfired so I immediately spun it 180, but I didn't try different timing locations first. Today, I double checked TDC and it was right on, so I put it 180 back to the original location and it started up after a little tweaking of the dist. That's a goood sound.

It runs smooth as silk but the carb is messed up. It is leaking, and I saw that the base was busted on the mount, and the throttle won't seem to set all the way down even with extra springs, so I think this new engine deserves a new carburetor. I am going to pick one up tomorrow if the auto parts stores are open and I should be on the road.

I also went to the junkyard today and picked up a gearshift bar that goes from the column to the side of the tranny, mine was too short after I moved everything back. I also got a speedo cable that was too short for the same reason and an oil pressure sending unit adapter that goes into the block that I forgot to pull off the 350 when I sold it.

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 272 guests, and 28 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SSG Pohlman, castironphil, uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101
6,786 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available