Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
P
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
P
I was taking off my valve cover to change out the gasket to stop it from leaking. When I took off the 2nd bolt from the front on the drivers side, coolant started coming out of the bolt hole! It does not leak when the valve cover is on. There are no other leaks and the engine does not run hot. Should I be concerned?

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
I have heard of someone using too long of a bolt on the side cover and driving it into the water jacket. Perhaps that happened to your head at some point. Just install a stud in the bolt hole using sealer or epoxy and tighten the cover with a nut.

FORD 300 inline six - THE BEST KEPT SECRET IN DRAG RACING!
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
It is very possible like French said. This is also known to happen when The First stud is removed from a stock head Changing over to header and installing New Bolts.If to is to long it can cut/push the back of the hole out and start to leak water as well.

I to have had a Few factory Untouched heads Leak
Like that. Just be sure to use sealer on the one Or Like french said Stud it and use sealer.

Larry/Twisted6
[oooooo] smile
Adding CFM adds boost smile
shocked God doesn't like ugly.
P
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
P
Thanks gents. I will I will keep an eye on it and I will put a stud in place of the bolt.

M
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
M
Some of the holes in the 250 type heads have very little meat on the bottom and easily will break through unless a stock length screw is used. A regular 1/4 - 20 screw or bolt can be used if you just apply some silicone sealer to it before installing. It will seal fine. A stud may be a better idea because with a screw you need to drain down the engine of coolant if you want to remove the valve cover.

Either method is ok and not a major problem as long as you let the sealant cure a bit before refilling with anti freeze.

Mike G #4355

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 192 guests, and 47 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available