Print Thread
Rate Thread
#1503 10/26/03 12:06 AM
B
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
B
I have a 235 engine in a 54 chevy, it's totally rebuilt, including starter, water pump, carb, fuel pump,wires, plugs, etc. with a rebuilt powerglide, and orignal rearend. My question is what would this setup be worth? because I am thinking of going big block chevy. thanks dave from connecticut.

Contributor
Contributor
Do you have the reciepts? Otherwise you won't be able to sell it for more than just "used". One man's rebuilt is another man's change the oil and paint it. I would probably pay up to $500 for a rebuilt 235 with all the accessories, depending on who did it and what was done, dunno what a PG is worth, rearend isn't worth much. I got my 261 in direct trade for a 250, and it smokes a bit (needs valve guide seals). I have a spare running '58 truck 235 sitting in the garage that I got for $100 with starter, generator, and bellhousing.

------------------
1950 Chevy pickup with '62 261, 4 speed.

1950 Chevy pickup with '62 261, 4 speed.
H
Contributor
Contributor
H
Hey most V8 guys give those old six bangers away when it comes time for the new mill. Just post your address and I'll find someone to come drag it off and save you the time and trouble.
Thanks a bunch!

Jim, I.I. #173
(It's easier to get forgiveness than permission!)
B
Contributor
Contributor
B
HiTork is exactly right, about the V8 guys giving them away. I'm getting a 1953 Pontiac straight 8 for free, complete. And I went to a car show recently and was offered a straight six for free, along with a Chevy 427 tall deck for $100. The 427 is complete except for the carb. So, hopefully I'll be going home for Thanksgiving with 3 engines in the back of my '68 with only $100 for the 427. I hope it all works out.

But, to what you were saying. Add up all you money invested in the engine/tranny, etc. Make copies of your reciepts (they fade really bad). Figure out how much you have invested in it so far. Anything is only worth what you can get someone to pay for it. With reciepts you will be able to show the person exactly what has been put into it. That setup might be worth a good deal to someone who is looking for a period correct setup. Other than that I couldn't give you a definite answer. I know I didn't help much. John.

'68 C-10 - 250 with Edelbrock 600cfm 4 barrel, Offy intake, Hedman headers and true duals, HEI, MSD 6A box, relocated gas tank
Soon to have: T-5 tranny
B
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
B
4onthefloor, of course I have the receipts, this is allot more than just change the oil and a coat of paint as well as all the external parts being new the only thing old on the inside of the engine is the crank and rods everything else is new, and i really don't thing you could compare this to a smoking motor.
Hitork, sorry to offend you, but I just cant get into these 6 cylinders, I have a blown and injected 41 willys and an olds 442 with a built 455 and driving around with this 53 Chevy 6 cylinder is like driving around on my lawn tractor. i quess those old motors were good in there day but when your driving down the road and get passed by Volkswagens and sometimes even getting passed by guys in good shape on 10 speed bikes something aint kosher, well i quess i got my answer that the motor isn't worth anything, its a shame because the guy that i purchased the car from put all this money into the motor I quess it was a waste of time, after I put the V8 in my Chevy I think I am going to put the 6 cylinder in a go-cart for my kids to putt around the field, well thanks all for your help and i really love this website. Beat53

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 420 guests, and 30 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SSG Pohlman, castironphil, uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101
6,786 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available