R
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
R

1000 Post Club
Online Content
1000 Post Club
\:\) Looking Good Nice work. But I don't think it will run,It looks as if someone stole Your Dist.
LOL just teasen Im sure you have it. \:\)
Keep Us Updated.

Larry/Twisted6
[oooooo] smile
Adding CFM adds boost smile
shocked God doesn't like ugly.
F
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
F
Obviously a labor of love....attention to detail can be a reward in itself. Kudos....

Dave

http://community.webshots.com/user/Fla54Chevy3100 "What this generation tolerates, the next will embrace"
D
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
D
That do be pretty, and it makes my heart glad to see it! We can hope that it will run as good as it looks.

Did you drill the crank for pressure to the rods, with insert bearings? What modifications are in place, aside from that nice intake manifold?

God's Peace to you.

d
Inliner #1450

R
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
R
Here's the speck's on the engine.It is bone stock internally,the car only has 44,000 original miles.I pulled the engine ,regasketed everything and cleaned it real good.The Fenton's are original's(the 1st/previous owner had them installed in the mid 50's)that I had porcelainized.The intake is an Edmund's with solid mount linkage.The valve cover is Edmund's also.The carb's are NOS Carter W1's w/ new kit's.I will be running the stock(rebuilt)dizzy.All I need is some wire loom's and I will be set,anybody got some?

J
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
J
Dear Rat;

A sediment bowel in front of the fuel pump you have, would be much safer.

When there mounted up high, they leak on to the headers from vibration(s). There is less on the frame where a leak is easy (if ever) to fix.

Nice job/good luck. \:\)

John M., I.I. #3370

"There are no shortcuts to any place worth going". -Anon
R
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
R
John,thank's for the suggestion's but they are staying where they are at.I have ran them up top before and have never had them leak.Those are the correct accessory fuel filters(Durex)and are a little tough to come by so it would be a shame to hide them plus I think they compliment the carb's quite well.

R
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
R
thank's alot but as you can see,I dont half ass stuff.IF I had to take apart while hot(NOT!),I would defently put something under the filter's so gas would not drip on the exhaust manifold's.There has been THOUSANDS of Chevy's with the filters next to the carb's over the year's,and personally,I have never heard of one catching fire,noy saying it could not happen(i guess I am taken 2 chances)but I think I will be ok and SAFE.I really do appreciate the concern's and suggestion's.I already had it running and on the road this way before the paint and detail work.I was really fishing for compliment's more than anything,but once again thank's.

J
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
J
Gentlemen;

Adding the sediment bowel was a 'dealer item' and didn't come from GM on Chevrolet or GMC. It was used on farm tractors/machinery and ended up on cars/trucks as an accessory ONLY. The filter is on top of the fuel pump.

We fixed dozens of these on 30s/40s vehicles in the 1950s. It's best 'before' the pump to keep dirt away from it too and that's where we put them removing the hazard.

With two of them right above headers with porcelain is "triple" the potenitial for disaster is all.

No one is faulting your workmanship, It's just bad design. Please; don't compound that by leaving it in place and destroying your vehicle, after all that work.

Good luck. \:\)

John M., I.I. #3370

R
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
R
once again,they are staying where they are at AND this car with remain in pristine condition.But thank's for your concern.

R
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
R
ps-they were a GM APPROVED accessory and are shown to be installed before the carb.Got this both from accessory catalog and the accessory install manual.thank's again.

J
Contributor
Contributor
J
John, they were in fact a GM supplied part (GM part number 12.0810). I do agree that it is bad design, though.

Major Contributor
Major Contributor
Nice Valve cover - where did you get it?

Tom
I.I. #1475
R
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
R
 Quote:
Originally posted by 6inarow:
Nice Valve cover - where did you get it?
I think I got it from here,in the classafied's.The guy had a thickstun intake also but was noty for sale.

D
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
D
Ratatat, Really impressive. As I'm in the process of pulling my 216 from my 3100 to clean it up,I'm curious as to where you bought your engine paint.And was it in quart or spray can size?Also, were you using those temporary flex lines for coolant on test runs? If so, neat idea.

Drew
Mid-Atlantic Chapter
Contributor
Contributor
If you are worried about header fires you can just move the filters so they sit down by the fuel pump but still between the pump and the carbs. Fuel pumps don't suck through filters very well.

Nice detail job, I sure hope it doesn't leak when you fire it up!

1950 Chevy pickup with '62 261, 4 speed.
R
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
R
 Quote:
Originally posted by Drew, II # 4211:
Ratatat, Really impressive. As I'm in the process of pulling my 216 from my 3100 to clean it up,I'm curious as to where you bought your engine paint.And was it in quart or spray can size?Also, were you using those temporary flex lines for coolant on test runs? If so, neat idea.
Drew,I used the paint from Chev's of the 40's,in a quart.I painted 3 different engine's,it cover's very good.In my opinion,they are the only one's that carry the right shade of blue/gray that was used all 216's.As far as thge flex lines,that is just air hose,I use it to fill the air bag's up front since I dont have the tank or compressor hooked up yet.I just stuck it there so I dont drag the hose on the floor.

J
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
J
J;

Yes, they were Mfg. by GM and sold by Dealers (as an 'add on') in some areas. They were never installed at the factory because two sizes of fuel lines would be needed.

4 on f;

These (30/40s version) are not filters. They allow sediment (large particles) to drop into the bowel & stay out of the system. There is NO fuel flow restriction involved in there useage. The (smaller particles) are then filtered out by the one in the pump.

They were wrongly put by the carb, to save time and for 'sales reasons' for years. It was just a gimic and a quick buck, "back then"... ;\)

Some were placed by the tank outlet and serviced when the vehicle was 'lubed'. We put them in front of the pump where they were easy to inspect/service etc.

Placing one after the fiter is 'reverse order' and creates a hazard.

Happy trails. \:\)

John M., I.I. #3370

1000 Post Club
Online Content
1000 Post Club
Looking great! Nice details.

Did you have the body off the frame for that paint job?

regards,
stock49

[Linked Image from 49fastback.com]
R
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
R
thanks!Nope,body on.I did not have the room/time to pull it off this time around.

D
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
D
Ratatatat:

Beautiful engine and car.
Based on what you wrote I calculated about 12 ftlb and 12hp added over stock just with the bolt-ons. That was assuming the Carter W-1s at about 106cfm each at 1.5 in Hg.

The best I could add is to think of what Paris would say,
"That's Hot".
My wife added I need to say it more like
"That's Hhhhhhooottttt"
Well I just cant do it.
Nice Ride! \:\) \:\)

R
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
R
DeuceCoupe,thank's for doing that for me.Although I added the speed equipment more for sound and ohh's/ahh's it's nice to know the power gain.cheer's!

R
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
R

J
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
J
R;

Yes; they (30s units) were sold in the 50s too (by Dealers), like the bumper 'extentions'. That's NOT a factory fuel line.

They were unsafe then, as they are today!!

The units you have (Mfg today) are for a totaly different usage and should be kept away from ANY heat source.
Remember Heat goes up.

A 30s style unit (not modern) before the pump is the correct & safe method for that era, if you expect a lot of "dirty" fuel. The one in your pump (by itself) is fine as; todays fuel is much cleaner than that of the 1950s.

Happy trails. \:\)

John M., I.I. #3370

M
Contributor
Contributor
M
One word - BITCHIN!!!

So what if the fuel filter design is not "Right", it looks bitchin.

There are plenty of "contemporary" rides out there that are P.O.S. by design. This car just looks good.

My 2c.

Proud card carrying member of Inliners International #1318
J
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
J
Dear Mark;

It's a disaster going some place to happen, that's what!! You wouldn't want it parked in your garage after a 2 hour drive, now would you?? :rolleyes:

I think we all can agree, he's done a superior job in everything else and it will be (the same)when finished too.

Or would you rather see a "burned out shell" with hundreds of hours waisted + the financial costs??

I doubt it will ever pass an insurance inspection either, making it pointless no matter what it "looks like" to a novice.

You might have 'better luck' at a hobby, other than automotive.

Good luck at it. \:\)

John M., I.I. #3370

R
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
R
John,why do you have to be so negative?Why are you are 100% sure that my car will burn to the ground?Why do you have to put Mark down,telling him to choose another hobby?

Seem's like you are bitter but just stop being such a negative Nancy already!!!

J
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
J
R;

I began servicing automobiles in 1954, when your car was still new. Over the years I've seen a lot of changes in the industry, most for the good/better etc. But NOT ALL were.

Mark is correct; your engine does look nice (bitchen) with the valve cover, twin carbs & headers.

However; his statement of "so what if the fuel system isn't right" shows his lack of knowlege or just plain 'common sense'. These folks/those with that attitude, have NO business around machinery of ANY kind.

Sometimes you need to protect people from themselves.

Good luck with your car. \:\)

John M., I.I. #3370

S
Contributor
Contributor
S
Ratatatat

I like! That is one cool set up. I am sure you are going to really enjoy driving your car once it is on the road. I do have a question for you.
It looks like you are running the original front suspension. Do you have air bags in the front? and if so what are you using? I have a 53chevywagon that I would like to bag but don't want to change out my front suspension.
Thanks Steve
P.S. Keep up the great work.

R
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
R
I am running slam specialties 5" bag's in the front and the Air Ride technologies bolt in kit in the rear.Is this the Steve that has the 53 Buis Coupe also?

S
Contributor
Contributor
S
Ratatatat,

I use to have a 53 chevy club coupe, I think I do know you, I live in Albuquerque. I use to drive my coupe all over when I had it. I use to drive it in primer, then I painted it harvest gold or yellow with white. I sure would like to see your car sometime. Give me a call 553-4313.

Steve

R
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
R
yup,and you worked at Memorial hospital right?

H
Contributor
Contributor
H
love that color, it looks great on that car. really nice!!!!

M
Contributor
Contributor
M
 Quote:
Originally posted by John H. Meredith:

Mark is correct; your engine does look nice (bitchen) with the valve cover, twin carbs & headers.

However; his statement of "so what if the fuel system isn't right" shows his lack of knowlege or just plain 'common sense'. These folks/those with that attitude, have NO business around machinery of ANY kind.

John, Its just as well I have a thick skin!!

This motor looks bitchin. End of my comment.

As you've (and others) repeatedly pointed out, there are some problems with it, so I left that aspect of it be, when I complemented him on the overall appearance of his mill.

Now FWIW, I have to present my completed hot rod to a qualified automotive engineer, ensuring it complies with all regulations in my home state, pay for a full Engineer's report, then present my car to the Registration authorities BEFORE I can get it registered and on the road.

So do I know something about the modifying of motor vehicles ....... well the proof will be in the pudding.

Now if some-one would expend some energy on getting some of the P.O.S. off the U.S. roads, I'd be a happier man, before they do damage to the modified car movement, by causing death and injury, due to their unsafe engineering. ;\)

Proud card carrying member of Inliners International #1318
H
Contributor
Contributor
H
Love the ride, great workmanship and it's sure to be a head turner.

Only problem I've ever had with fuel systems is to much pressure causing carb to flood and filter to leak. I'd suggest adding a fuel pressure regulator and set it for about 3 lbs. I've been told that the NEW and rebuilt fuel pumps put out way to much pressure. I had a glass bowl regulator/filter last year and I could not stop it from spewing gas. Picked up a little chrome NAPA adjustable regulator and now all is fine.
Best of luck and most of all enjoy the ride.

Jim, I.I. #173
(It's easier to get forgiveness than permission!)
R
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
R
HiTork,I have an Edmund's fuel pressure regulator(NOS) but I can not for the life of me remember where the hell I put it!

S
Contributor
Contributor
S
I worked at Memorial Hospital for about 12 years.
what tranny do you have behind that 216? I have a 216 in my 47 pick up it has the 54 cab and front end on it. The tranny is a t-5 out of a s-10 and it is great.
Steve

J
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
J
Ratatat; What brand is the breather on the valve cover? It's exactly what i am looking for. By the way. One sweet looking 216. Thumbs up from the north shore of Lake Erie.

Cheers!!!

1946 Chev Aerosedan
Most southernest inliner in Canada
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
Ratatat:
Very nice looking ride, your attention to detail is amazing! Although I probably shouldn't be here as Mr Merideth might degrade me for my lack of automotive excellence as my only project to be completed has more rust and no smooth surfaces in the paint ( I didn't do it!) and may dismiss me as I have an absolute blast driving my 69 C10!
Again, R, Nice ride. I hope when I get my uncle's 40 Chevy I can keep it that clean!

Ted

R
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
R
 Quote:
Originally posted by slvigil53:
I worked at Memorial Hospital for about 12 years.
what tranny do you have behind that 216? I have a 216 in my 47 pick up it has the 54 cab and front end on it. The tranny is a t-5 out of a s-10 and it is great.
Steve
well Steve,This Jaime Trujillo,I had the baby **** green 53 4 door.Come down and look at the 50 anytime,Im off sat,sun and mon.I have the stock 3 speed in the car.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 276 guests, and 44 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available