Print Thread
Rate Thread
#15768 07/05/07 08:08 PM
G
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
G
Hi guys and gals, I was brousing this site last night and decided to sign on and see how things differ from my other site, Hotrodders.com I have been a member there since 2002.

Now for a question which will also tell you about my project car. I have a 1948 Chevrolet Fleetline 2dr Aerosedan since July 1990. Its one of those when you have money, you don't have time. And when you have time you don't have money to work with situations. I finally got the two together a couple of years ago and have accomplished quiet a bit of the reconstruction but I have a loooong way to go. It is stripped to the bare bones even the instrument panel is out.

I have a 1978 250 cid engine backed by a TH350 out of a Silverado. I do not want to chop the chasis just to use the automatic, even though I would like shiftless (manual)driving. I still have the original engine and transmission and the question is will the 250 engine and '48 bell housing bolt up. I know there is a 30 year span there but the 216 and 250 doesn't appear to be too different. Perhaps if I were to use a 350 sbc and the TH350 trans. it may fit without any major mods. Any ideas or suggestions will be greatly welcomed. BTW this is my first project.

Al

P.S. WHAT! No spale check

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
al, with the 250, it will not fit the old 216 trannies or bell housings. good news is any modern auto tranny that will fit a sbc will fit the 250. your choices include : powerglide, th350, th400, 200r4, 700r4. you get the point. the six will get more attention from lookers than a v8. it all depends on what you want. tom

Inliner Member 1716
65 Chevelle Wagon and 41 Hudson Pickup
Information and parts www.12bolt.com

G
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
G
Thanks Tom for the info. I have another ?. I have installed a 1975 Camarro rear end replacement for the torque tube system. There is not a tag on the housing to determine the ratio. The housing has some markings on it but is there a way to use them for identity. Since the TH350 doesn't have overdrive, I would like a diff with a fuel friendly ratio.

Al

M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
You can jack the vehicle up on jack stands.
Rotate one rear wheel one complete turn(360 degrees) if it's a posi rear end,& count how many times your pinion turns.
So if it (the pinion) turns a little over 3 times it's a 308, a littler under 3.5 turns should be 342's

My guess ,, 308's or 342's

If it is a non posi,jack up one wheel off of the ground,(the other wheel touching the ground)turn wheel 360 degrees,count how many turns the pinion turns,then devide by two.

Or take the cover off & count how many teeth on the ring & pinion & divide the two numbers.

The ring gear should be stamped how many teeth there are.I think the pinion also,but that's easy to count if it's not.

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
G
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
G
Thanks MBHD, That sounds like a fairly easy task.

Al

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 445 guests, and 37 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
castironphil, uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony
6,785 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available