Rate Thread
#16085 08/07/07 12:36 PM
B
bear76 Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
B
I've been looking at RV cams for my 250. Cliffords can be had as a kit with rods, springs, retainers, and lifters. Are all these things nesserey or could I just get a cam and lifters? The engine was rebuilt 28k ago but sat around for about two years.

Thanks

#16086 08/07/07 05:16 PM
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
The springs and retainers are designed specifically for the new cam. You may be able to get away with using your old springs but if something breaks then you won't be covered by the cam manufacturer's warranty. It's best to use what they recommend.

Martin
'64 Nova wagon
'69 C10
#16087 08/07/07 06:36 PM
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
It would be in your best interest to buy the kit.
Even if your motor was rebuilt not long ago. If the head was only freshened up. and New spring were not installed at the time of the rebuild.
They could have way to many miles on them,to Live up to a New cam with more lift. The springs could very well brake. I know Been there done that once a long time ago.I put a Rv style crane cam in On a rebuilt/( just freshened up head. NOT thinking about the HIGH miles on the springs and one day on the way home Surprize one broke.Lucky for me
nothing fell into the motor and i made it home.

Larry/Twisted6
[oooooo] smile
Adding CFM adds boost smile
shocked God doesn't like ugly.
#16088 08/08/07 12:07 AM
W
Contributor
Contributor
W
I have to agree with Martin and Larry on this. I put an RV cam in a motor some years ago and it came as a kit; cam, lifters, valve springs, retainers, and locks as a package. I not only installed all those, but went one step further and had screw-in rocker arm studs installed as well. I drove a car with that engine in it for about 3 years and had absolutely no problems with the valve train. I'd recommend using all the parts they give you with the cam. You'll be a lot happier in the long run.

Formerly known as 64NovaWagon.

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 420 guests, and 30 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SSG Pohlman, castironphil, uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101
6,786 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available