Print Thread
Rate Thread
K
Ken B Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
K
Just replaced the cylinder head, timing belt, timing belt automatic tensioner and timing belt tensioner pulley on my son's 1993 Eagle Talon 2.0 turbo w 5-speed manual tranny. The cylinder head is a fresh National Cylinder Head rebuild. The engine block is a 1990 but everything else is the original 1993 issue. The timing belt is tight and all timing marks line up.The problem is the engine will run only for a few seconds and quit. We work the throttle and carefully rotate the camshaft/crankshaft sensor to try to get it to keep running but no luck. Just when the engine seems happy it quits. It just does not want to keep running. I took the camshaft/crankshaft sensor off and rotated it 180 degrees but it made no difference. It has two tabs on it 180 degrees opposite each other which fit into two slots at the end of the intake camshaft. This setup is not "keyed" yet it determines the tdc of the number one and four pistons, knows where the cam is at all times and thus determines the firing order. Does anyone know if it matters which way it is inserted into the cam even though it is not "keyed"? Also, when I put the fuel rail back on it has the tapered base of the injectors floating about 1/8 inch above their ports in the intake manifold with the nozzles down into the ports. It has been a month since I removed the fuel rail from the old head but if I remember right the tapered base of the injectors were pressed tightly against the intake manifold, but I could be mistaken. I am a carburetor guy and not familiar with fuel injector set-ups although I plan on putting fuel injection on my 250 Inline Chevy Chevelle someday. The car never really ran as well as I thought it should and we were hoping this new cylinder head would help but now it does not want to run but a few seconds then quit. My son is heartbroken and I am wondering if anyone, especially if they are familiar with these engines, has any advice. The check engine light is working and did not come on before we tore her down and does not come on now during the few seconds the engine runs.
Thanks, Ken B

E
Contributor
Contributor
E
I would have the cam angle sensor tested if possible? I work as a engine mechanic for a wrecking yard.We sell every one we get,as soon as we get them.They are expense to buy new and famous for going bad.Might also be the Throttle position switch,fuel pressure regulator,fuel pump,or computor.Maybe plugged injectors?
EvilDr235

------------------
Two types of people drive old cars.Rich people because they want to and poor people because they have to.
Remember EvilDr235 has a cure for Your sixness.

Contributor
Contributor
Did you reconnect the snorkel from the throttle body to the air cleaner. What you are describing sounds like a classic case of the mass air flow sensor being disconnected. The ECU shuts the engine off when it does not get the signal it expects.

------------------
1950 Chevy pickup with '62 261, 4 speed.

1950 Chevy pickup with '62 261, 4 speed.
K
Ken B Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
K
Fixed it today and she's running better than ever. I was missing what are called "insulators", rubber like grommets that fit into the cylinder head ports and then the tip of the fuel injector slides into them creating an air-tight seal as soon as you tighten the fuel rail. They also hold the injectors firmly in place. I had four king size vacuum leaks without them!!!!
I had taken the original head to a local machine shop where they disassembled it and gave me an estimate of $657 to rebuild it. I told them we did not have that kind of money and they charged me $70 for their evaluation and quote. I got the head back "naked" and all the loose parts were in a box. All except the injector "insulators" which they had removed and probably tossed in the trash. That's why I messed up. Anyway, I picked up four insulators at the dealership today for $3.44 each and bang, she started right up and is running great. I paid $399 for the rebuilt head I got from Nationl Cylinder Head and tomorrow I'll send them my core head. My son is absolutely thrilled and seeing his face light up tonight when he started her up made what had to be about forty hours of labor on my part worth every second.
Thanks for your help and quick responses.
Ken B

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
2 members (47Thriftmaster250, 41 Coupe), 344 guests, and 39 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB
6,784 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available