Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
L
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
L
Does anybody here know of anyone who splits stock exhaust manifolds. I know there used to be someone on this board who did them for customers, but remember reading that he doesn't do that anymore. I've got a 250 in a 51 Chevy and if I use headers I will have to move my stock emergency break Z arm which I would like to avoid doing.

Major Contributor
Major Contributor
Won't the cast iron headers from Langdon's clear your Z bar? I'd give him a call or an e-mail, pretty sure he's run into this before.

'45 Ford PU
66 Valiant wagon, leaning tower of power.
79 Chevy C10 w/250
02 PT Cruiser Convertable
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
Do it yourself! Slice, preheat and MIG weld it.
Or, if youŽd have the gear, or for secure fix > do call Langdon. He got great stuff, and shurs give you advice on the road!

"if your car needs more than 2 hubcaps, it ainŽt COOL"
H
Contributor
Contributor
H
Kansas Kustoms used to do this work but have since closed their shop. Also have read that spliting the stock 250 manifold is a problem because these are not beefy enough and dont hold up, have seen many cracked from the factory. Contact Langdons or Buffalo and Clifford may have tube type.

Jim, I.I. #173
(It's easier to get forgiveness than permission!)
U
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
U
This is how I do them with 90deg. weld in pipe fittings. nice and tight for clearance.

I would gladly weld one up for you ,Ive done a few and work great... But your in Hawaii!

Id have more 8s but I can't count that high
L
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
L
Thanks for all the replies guys, have talked with Langdon and sent him an image of my engine compartment and he said no go. Would have to cut the Z bar out if I use his headers so I'm assuming I'll have to do the same if I run Cliffords or any other headers. I just don't like the look of running a pull style or pedal E brake. I like how the stock lever looks under the dash. Maybe I'll give her a try with the mig welder. Doesn't seem to be a whole lot of options.......or send it to Canada! Mahalo all.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
What about making your own header and put the collectors where you need them.I have made my own
and it is not really all that hard to do.

Larry/Twisted6
[oooooo] smile
Adding CFM adds boost smile
shocked God doesn't like ugly.
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Unsafe6, That's neat. Is it seperated between the outlets?

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
L
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
L
I've never tackled that kind of project before. My welding skills are at the beginner stages (bird poop welding). Not a bad idea though considering the restrictions. I would worry about the flange side getting all helter skelter! How about altering a cliffords tube header set? I think I would only have to move the front set around to fit.

U
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
U
Yes Beater there seperate and work good. just cut into an old manifold and will se how easy it is to do,the gaps arent very big to fit and weld up. Sorry Lucky444 I didnt realise you were running a 250 my mistake. your cutting up tube headers sounds like the easiest idea.

Id have more 8s but I can't count that high

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 316 guests, and 49 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
castironphil, uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony
6,785 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available