Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
C
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
C
I picked up a sweet running GMC 302 but it has the huge HEAVY cast iron bell housing & flywheel. I want to put a 4 or 5 speed tranny behind it, like a Saginaw or T5.

What are my options?

Can I use the flywheel, clutch, bell housing and starter off of a '57 chevy 235 etc.

Thanks,
-Mike-

-Mike W.-
R
Contributor
Contributor
R
Do a web search for GMC powered military vehicles, if I remember correctly they address that problem. Also take a look here for several links: oldGMCtrucks.com
Ron

G
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
G
Buffalo Enterprises in Arlington,Wa makes adapter plates so that you can use any GM automatic trans on the 302. A GM bellhousing will fit too. Not sure about your flywheel/clutch. Ask Buffalo (Steve Stribling), he knows what to use.

D
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
D
A 1948-51 Chevrolet pickup bellhousing will bolt to the GMC block, and you can bolt a Saginaw or Muncie manual transmission to it. That's what we have behind the 302 in our 1952 Chevrolet two-door.

God's Peace to you.

d
Inliner #1450

J
Contributor
Contributor
J
The bellhousing from a 57 235 will definatly fit. For years I used them in my lakes race cars. I like the 55-57 for the double bolt slanted mounts.(not like the truck) The 55-57 car transmissions did not have a rear mount. They used 2 up front and 2 on the bellhousing. Early pickups will work but I did not like the mounts and mounting for the "kick" starter.

I used a Muncie, T-10 and Saginaw 4-speeds and they all bolted up. I now use a Buffalo plate with a Lakewood or McCleod scattershield.
I have used both 168 and 139 tooth starter ring gear flywheels with both setups. Good Luck

216.158 MPH 12-Port 302 GMC on 70% 171.0 MPH 302 stock head on gasoline 7 years later
C
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
C
Good info but are the 168 & 139 tooth flywheels chevy or GMC & what year. I've been told that there is a difference. Also, was the '55-'57 starter used?

I've never run an inline engine in anything before so I'm just trying to get my ducks in a row before I jump in with both feet.

Honestly I have the 2ton clutch bellhousing etc. currently attached to the engine & a saginaw bolted up to it. I'm missing the 12v starter, but I want to know what I can upgrade to that might be alittle lighter weight with less rotating mass. I'm a low buck guy on a tight budget like most of us are, so I'm also looking for the most economical solution to my delema too.

Thanks,
-Mike W-

-Mike W.-
C
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
C
The 168 tooth is for a 12V starter and the 139 is for 6V. You'll need a GMC flywheel. Chevy bolt pattern is different.

Charlie Hardin
II #5039
G
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
G
If you go for a Buffalo adapter you use a smallblock chevy starter, stock type or a modern geared.

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 192 guests, and 47 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available