Print Thread
Rate Thread
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
First, let me make sure I'm using the proper terms. T5=the transmission from the Chevy S10 Pickup/Blazer and other GM cars. If that's correct, which would be the best/easiest installation on my 54 Chevy Pickup? I remember reading that the bolt patterns on the mid 80's S10 T5 would bolt right up to a 48-54 GM Pickup, Is this correct? My engine is a 261, do you see any problems so far? I read the comments on no7a 5sp overdrive manual, posted on 08-18-01, and there was some concern of the T5 being too weak. Is this any problem behind a 261? Any advise I can get would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a bunch. Rich PS By the way, how much are these thing$ going for?

G
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
G
I have a 53 Chevy 1/2 ton with a 261, T5 with 11" clutch and 3:55 rearend. I am using a T5 from an '84 S10 with mechanical speedo. I have had no problems with the tranny, and I have not been overly gentle with it. I have about 1500 miles with this combination so far. There is a good article on the Stovebolt.com website tech section on installing the T5. I would have to say that the Camaro version may be slightly better gear-wise as it has a little lower ratios for 1st and 2nd gears, or perhaps a 3:36 rearend gear would do. Personnally, I wouldn't spend more than $100 on an S10 version, or $200 on a Camaro version. The best case would be to have the Camaro tranny with the tailhousing from the S10, as the S10 is the only version of this tranny that has the shifter at the middle of the tranny, the others have it at the very end of the housing (Astro is similar to S10, but is offset). Also, you cannot switch from electric speedo to mechanical speedo without changing the entire back-half of the tranny, so get the right one the first time. Otherwise an expensive adapter will be needed. The later "World-Class" versions are the strongest, but parts are not interchangable with earlier versions, so I'm told. There are alot of other smaller issues, but my fingers are getting tired.

Good luck

I.I. #3174
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Here is some more detail on the Camaro/S10 hybrid
http://www.inliners.org/Jack/T5tech.html

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi guys,
Bob Malin here with 1940 Chevy. I opted to use a 1983 Z-28 T-5 with the shifter way back. I have it hooked up with a built 292 and a 1968 nova 10 bolt posi with 3:55. Yes, the lower gears in 1st&2nd are great for stoplight get-a-ways.
NOTE: I was looking for a clutch arm boot for the belhousing....call MidAmerica Corvettes and order a 1963 Vette boot. It's fits perfectly after searching the world for one!

C
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
C
Check this site out for gear ratios,click Tech Data, then scroll down to your year. www.thirdgen.org

[This message has been edited by Mark Holovka (edited 12-18-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Mark Holovka (edited 12-18-2001).]

'49 Chevy 1/2 ton, '56 235, 848 head, Fentons, x-pipe, 1-2bbl H-W.
I
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
I
Which T5? Good Question. Make sure you check the ratios before you actually take it home!!!

I found an 85 camaro V6 tranny today. It was a good deal, so I bought it. I ran it through the gears and had every intention of following Jack's lead and putting an S10 tailshaft on it. But when I got home...

I think it has a 4.00 first gear? Can this be correct out of a camaro? It has 1352-071 tag on it and I checked it out at 5speeds.com but I can't imagine this to be the right tranny. Guess I'll win the holeshots with this one.

Jack can you help me here? 14 spline input, camaro tag and camaro tailshaft, can it really have a 4.00 first from the factory?

Chris

[This message has been edited by inverse121 (edited 01-02-2002).]

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Chris I have a chart which does show a 4.03 1st gear for some '85 F-body applications. Ratios are 4.03/2.37/1.49/1.00/0.76 - these are the same ratios as the 2.5 4cyl S10, Also used by many AMC and Ford. This would make a good trans for a taller rear ratio like a 3.08 or 2.73, as your overall gearing in low gear would be close to 12. The only negative would be more the RPM loss at the 1/2 shift.

I
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
I
I'm not sure this is a good use of my S10 tailshaft. Any chance I can grab the 3.75 1st gear off my S10 donor tranny when I swap tailshafts? I'll put this in the car for now and swap the nice low first to my pickup when the body is finished.

Or maybe I'll start looking for a 3.08 rear.

Any idea what rear came in that 85 fbody. 3.42, I think, so I should be okay as far as speedo drive goes wiht a 3.38? How about tire size (27 inches maybe)?

Also Jack, before I go craking these things open. #23 shifter shaft has an extension on it in the Fbody setup according to the diagram. Does this mean, I do not have to worry about swapping top covers for the correct length shifter shaft?

Chris

[This message has been edited by inverse121 (edited 01-03-2002).]

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Chris, in my opinion, changing out the gears really isn't worth the effort of stripping both transmissions. 3.75 is not that much of an improvement over 4.03, and you can't swap just one gear, because the cluster gears on the countershaft have to match what's on the mainshaft.

The Camaro shaft is a good bit longer to reach the rear-mounted shifter, so you do have to swap shifter shafts. This requires no real disassembly, just swap the covers complete with shift forks and shaft. I will add that to my article.

Active BB Member
Active BB Member
Jack,
Will the tail shaft from the S10 fit both the V8 Camaro (world class) 5 speed as well as the (non) world class V6 Camaro 5 speed? Thanks.
tim

------------------
"drive it like you hate it, fix it when its broke"

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Good question. All my documentation suggests that the tailshaft housings will interchange, simply because all of the differences between WC and NWC versions (bearings, synchros, etc) are internal to the main transmission. But the only way to be totally positive is to check tailshaft housing part numbers, or do a trial fit. Both versions use ATF for lube, so seals should be compatible.

I
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
I
Ooops, see post below.

Chris

[This message has been edited by inverse121 (edited 01-08-2002).]

I
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
I
Here's the update on my weekend of tranny swapping. BUYER BEWARE and check your stuff out before your leave.

I bought an WC T5 with electronic speedo cheap. Second gear was bad, turns out it was a broken shifter fork. I bought a NWC camaro V6 5 speed cheap to swap the tailshaft of the previous transmission. It had a crummy gear selection, but I can live with it. The WC tailhousing fit the NWC transmssion great, with the speedo drive hole in the same place as a NWC mechanical drive, except the WC electronic speedo drive hole is drilled at the wrong angle for a mechanical drive. Found another mechanical tailshaft that I bought for really cheap again, actually bought the whole tranny, cause the guy didn't want to do the work to yank the tailhousing. He said 5th gear was bad in it. Turns out it is a 4 speed with a 5 speed shifter and the tailhousing does not fit a 5 speed.

I'm still in this for less than $250, and I now have 2 good five speeds built from 2 5 speeds and a 4 speed, but I still need 2 S10 mechanical drive tailshafts to make these things work!!! I looked all day and can't find one anywhere.

Chris

[This message has been edited by inverse121 (edited 01-08-2002).]

T
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
T
I bought a T5 repair video, they go through a trans and then decide to junk it. I have 2 T5's which I purchased knowing they needed repairs, but I think I may have bought junk. Mine are from Ford Mustang 5.0, I also need the S-10 tailhousings.

I might look at a Toyota Supra 5-spd, it's stronger than a T5, but maybe not as inexpensive to repair.

B
Newcomer
Newcomer
B
Jack-

I've read quite a bit about this T5 swap but havent heard much in commentary about how the T5 performs. I believe that u previously had a saginaw with a Patricks shifter and AA overdrive. do u like the new rig better?

------------------
Buzz'n Half Dozen

Buzz'n Half Dozen
S
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
S
Hey guys,
Here is a T5 tranny tag identifier. Go to the site, click on "T5 5speeds" on the left side of the screen, then scroll down to the Green window. They speak of a metal tag, but my number was on a plastic sticker on the top of the trans case. http://www.5speeds.com/index.htm
Good luck

Steve Wyatt
300 Ford 6 powered
36 Ford hiboy streetrod pickup
N
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
N
Please forgive me but I need to have some things spelled out because I am really new to this. I have a 4 dr 55 Belair. It has a 235, 3sp w/OD and a 4.11 rearend. I would like to know what I need to do to add an S-10 t-5? Any help would be greatly appreciated. What can I use from the 55 and what do I need to add? I understand enlarging the bolt holes but what about clutch plate, driveline, etc?
Thanks in advance

BTW you folks are great.

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 312 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available