Print Thread
Rate Thread
#18210 04/07/03 06:27 PM
U
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
U
I'm in the process of installing a t5 behind a 250. The t5 is out of a v-8 Firebird. I can't remember the year, but it's a NWC. The v-8 flywheel won't fit the 250 crankshaft (center hole and bolt circle are too small) and the v-8 bellhousing won't clear the 250 flywheel, so I'm using the 250 flywheel and bellhousing. The 250 bellhousing doesn't rotate the transmission 18 degrees like the Firebird housing. The good news is, the shifter is now vertical, so it doesn't need bending. The bad news is, the rear mounting pad isn't horizontal, so I need to use a wedge either between the trans and rubber mount, or between the rubber mount and the crossmember. Does it make any difference which? The bellhousing is the type that mounts to its crossmember, but I should probably still have a rear mount with an aluminum transmission.
Another question: On the left rear of the transmission is what appears to be another mount. It's a clamp that holds 2 pieces of rubber together with a w-shaped slot between them. What is it and do I need it?
Tilting the transmission changes the height of the oil level plug. Do I need to adjust for this (an elbow in the plug hole, perhaps) or is it close enough?
I read the article on the hybrid t-5, but I probably don't want a bench seat that badly. On the other hand, if there's a version of the t-5 that mounts the shifter directly on the top cover, then it wouldn't be necessary to change the tailshaft housing and speedo gear. Is there any such animal (Jeep application, maybe)?

#18211 04/08/03 12:02 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Check out the cross member I used for my T-5 tranny. Mine was from a 83 Z-28(same as yours)The flywheel I used was from a stock 101/2" 230 that was drilled out to 1/2" mounting holes. I used a center force clutch and the stock 230 bellhousing. It bolted right up with out any problems.

RapRap
1940 Chevy Coupe

#18212 04/08/03 08:15 PM
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
What year is your pickup? I have a '65 with a 292 and the T-5 trans. My cast iron bellhousing bolts to the crossmember and the motor is side mounted. I don't use any other mounts and it has worked OK for 3 or 4 years now. On my '65, there was a chassis member that the parking brake setup pivoted from and to leave this in, I had to shave off some of the lower cast flange on the tailshaft to clear. I believe the other mount you are talking about is the one for the tie-bar that goes to the rearend on the Camaro and that is not needed in your application. Did you get a clutch disc and pressure plate to match up OK?

------------------
Ontario Inliners

1940 Chev Sedan
1954 Chev Custom
1965 Chev Pick-up

Ontario Inliners
1965 Chevelle
1940 Chev
1965 Chev Pick-up
1970 MGB Roadster

#18213 04/08/03 11:49 PM
U
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
U
This engine and transmission are going into a '55 sedan.
The engine is sidemounted. I'm using the pickup cast iron bellhousing.
It sounds like it may be a bit of oveverkill, but since I have both the pickup crossmember with the bellhousing mounts and the Firebird crossmember with the rear transmission mount, I might as well install both of them.
I havn't assembled the clutch yet (I have the bellhousing and transmission bolted to a spare block as a mockup to get the mounts aligned) but it looks like the Firebird clutch and pressure plate will fit the 250 flywheel.

#18214 04/08/03 11:50 PM
J
Contributor
Contributor
J
You don't need a mount on the rear of the transmission. The other mount you are talking about was for the control arm that went to the rear end on the firebird. I think that as long as the oil level is up to the plug, it will be fine. Joe

#18215 04/09/03 12:11 AM
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
If you are putting the 250 motor into a 1955 Chev car, you can use the stock '55 V-8 bellhousing and bolt it to the 250 motor. This will give you a good starting point as you will have the back of the motor aligned and all your original clutch linkage will work. Just install the T-5 onto the V-8 housing and then make up your side mounts wherever they line up on the chassis.

------------------
Ontario Inliners

1940 Chev Sedan
1954 Chev Custom
1965 Chev Pick-up

Ontario Inliners
1965 Chevelle
1940 Chev
1965 Chev Pick-up
1970 MGB Roadster

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 312 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available