Rate Thread
W
wdyer Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
W
Gentlemen,
I have a long standing 54 Chevrolet 3100 project truck, which I am just getting around to putting money in after a long vacation in Baghdad. It has a '55 drivetrain (open driveshaft) with 3sp on the tree. I purchased a "Brothers" kit to install a saginaw 4 speed transmission, and with the 4 speed price I am now about $500 dollars into this particular modification. The problem is this; my kit arrived, and the instructions are...not exactly the most helpful ones I have ever seen. The 1x1 pictures photocopied are useless and the instructions are pretty oblique without good reference photos. Has anyone either done this swap, or could perhaps provide some illuminating insight into this upgrade? If so I can send detailed electronic photographs of what I have and the install as it progresses. Help!

W
wdyer Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
W
Correction,
The kit I have was produced by Patricks, i was reading the brothers cat. today and had a bit of mental bleed over

D
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
D
Why don't you call Patrick Dykes? I'll bet he will be very helpful.

Drew
Mid-Atlantic Chapter
W
wdyer Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
W
Likely I will do so, but I suspect from previous conversations that the chances of pictures over the net are unlikely. He is a super nice gentlemen, but I fear I am rather more lost on this one than the phone will fix.

G
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
G
Why do you need a "kit" to install a 4 spd into an open driveline?

Sounds like you bought the Patrick's kit for modifying the tailshaft on a later 4 spd to use it in a closed driveline, not an open one. Is this correct?

I.I. #3174
W
wdyer Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
W
The reason I need a kit is for the shift linkage set up, as I know exactly enough to get myself in hot water. My truck already has the open driveline, as it is 55 from fan to rear end.

G
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
G
Well, I'm not familiar with his shifter setup, but it should be basically the same as any other external rod 4 spd shifter as far as function goes. If you have a Motors or Chilton type manual from the early 80's or older, it should have a picture and descriptions in it that should help you set it up. It would be easiest if it was sitting on the workbench rather than in the truck for starters. Basically, you bolt on the shifter, put all the levers into neutral, then put shifter into first gear, move 1st/2nd lever into first gear, then connect the dots with the rod. Repeat for the other two. Bend/adjust rods as needed to get smooth shifting. Hope this helps some.

I.I. #3174
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
wdyer,
Welcome back from the desert vaca. I can help you here. I also sent for the patrick's shifter kit for the saginaw 4 speed tranny. Its primarly a Hurst Competition Plus shifter. Any yes the directions and pictures leave something to be desired. There are two things you can do: (1). Get on the internet and do a search for Hurst Comp Shifters. Talk with technical and get them to fax you the directions as they are very specific as to adjustments and which way the plastic bushings go etc. Or (2) Give me a Fax machine phone number and I will fax to you these same instructions tomorrow morning.

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 358 guests, and 49 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SSG Pohlman, castironphil, uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101
6,786 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available