Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
O
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
O
I need some input as to what trans to put behind a 1959, 261. There is a lot of talk about the T5, 5 speed OD and the saginaw 4 speed OD. But I don't know if they fit the newer 250/292 or the older 235/261 blocks or both ??? Is the sagingaw a 4 speed with 4th/OD? What bolts up to my 261 stock housing? I do want to stay away from an automatic. The 261 is not going into a truck but will be in a light body roadster like a 29 or 32 and will see a lot of highway use.

J
Contributor
Contributor
J
Ed, as far as I know, the 5 speed will work out of an S-10 if you shorten the input shaft to match the length of a 3 or 4 speed. It worked in my 54 GMC with 302. It will bolt to the bellhousing. The Camaro 5-speed will work with no modifications if shifter location is not a concern. The Camaro shifter is about 7 or 8 inches farther back than the S-10. The Camaro transmission rear mount is also at an angle because the trans was mounted at about a 30 degree angle for floor clearance.
The Saginaw 4 speed with OD is a 4 speed with an overdrive unit added to it from a Saginaw 3 speed. It works well also, though you have to find a Saginaw 3 speed with OD (very scarce and probably expensive if you find one)and make the modifications to the trans. There was an article in Hor Rod Magazine in about 1974 on how to do this. There is a lot more to it than the article said, though. I built one and ran it in a 1964 Ford 4WD pickup with a strong 400 SB for probably 10 years. I really liked it.
The 4 speed with 4th gear as OD is a New Process aluminum trans that was used in Chevrolet and GMC pickups from 1981 to maybe 85 or 86. They are pretty hard to find, though. Since this was a New Process built by Chrysler Corp, it was apparently also used in Dodge pickups and some cars also. The bolt pattern to bolt to the bellhousing would be different and probably the input shaft. Those problems can possibly be worked around, I don't know. I also ran one of these in the same pickup for a while, but the synchronizers were worn out and I liked the electric OD better on the Saginaw better so I put it back.
Overall, in my opinion,for your application, I think the S-10 5spd would be best for several reasons. One is weight,another is shifter location. The 5spd has a top mounted shifter, on either the S-10 or the Camaro. The others both use a side shifter which might take up your master cylinder room in a roadster like you're planning. The saginaw also has a governor and a shift solenoid that stick out-one on each side of the trans. Also it needs wiring with a relay etc.
Another possibility I just thought of. In the mid 70's some of the Chevy Monzas used a 5spd. It was aluminum with a top mounted shifter. It was behind the Vega 4 cylinder so it probably wasn't very strong. I don't know much about them, though.
Well, this is pretty long winded, but I hope it helps. Joe

H
Contributor
Contributor
H
I just put the T-5 behind my 261, 46 Chevy pickup and it's great. The T-5 is an aluminum case so much lighter weight that the cast iron Saginaw, would be just the ticket in your light roadster.
The T-5 can fit just about any Chevy bell housing, just takes some minor mods to the input shaft and front bearing retainer. You need to check out all the tech tips on this site.

Jim, I.I. #173
(It's easier to get forgiveness than permission!)
T
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
T
ok..so..the 5 speed out of an s-10..what sort of work would be neccesary to get it to bolt onto a 53 235 with 3 speed standard...

Contributor
Contributor
If you can pick your rearend ratio the standard 4-speed car saginaw (direct 4th gear) works great with a 261 and needs no mods to bolt up. It is just as strong as a stock T-5 and easy to rebuild if you break it. There are a few ratios available, they are dirt cheap and plentiful, and fairly compact compared to a T-5. You can also put the shifter anywhere you want if you fabricate the shift rods and use a hurst shifter. I picked up a mint 3-groove (the input shaft is grooved to tell you the gear ratio) saginaw at a garage sale, of all places, for $50 recently.

I'm putting the Saggie and a 3.07 rearend into my '50 truck with a 261.

1950 Chevy pickup with '62 261, 4 speed.
T
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
T
Hey Ed, that 261 I sold you is so powerful,you'll only need a one speed tranny \:D
Seriously, the tranny's mentioned will work for ya and bolt up to the bellhousing.

70 Triumph 650 cc ECTA current record holder
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
HItork, is the 261 in the 46 truck using the stock radiator? I have a 54'235 in my 46 and have been thinking about a 261 replacement. I assume the 261 and 235 are the same size?

J
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
J
Dear 46w;

Yes they are the same lenght etc.

JM......

John M., I.I. #3370

"There are no shortcuts to any place worth going". -Anon

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 323 guests, and 48 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SSG Pohlman, castironphil, uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101
6,786 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available