Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
A
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
A
Hi,all just need alittle help.picked up a 46 chevy 1/2 with a 57 235 closed drive line.iwas thinking a open driveline set up,but after looking at the trans and pedals set up im not sure how to go about it.where do i put the master brake ect.on my 51 things went a little easyer any help thanks

M
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
M
If you don't want to fabricate a new set of pedals or rework the existing ones then one place to check is RB Obsolete. They have a pretty extensive line of chassis related products for trucks of your vintage including dual pedal assemblies that mount in the stock location. Other resto and street rod suppliers have them too so it will pay to check around both for price and variety. Be advised that almost all of the kits offered are for a disc/drum or disc/disc application and a hydraulic clutch. A few are available to run mechanical clutch linkage.

Mike

Mike G #4355
B
Contributor
Contributor
B
Is it a 1957 235 engine with the oringinal transmission and drive line? The last torque tube drive line was 1954, which was also the first year full pressure oiling was offered on manual transmission Chevys. If you don't peg the pressure gauge, you may not have the full pressure engine. High speed (lower numerical ratio) ring and pinion gears are available for the closed driveline.

H
Contributor
Contributor
H
My 46 half ton is extensivly modified, 261, T-5 trans, 66 half ton rear and still using original master cyl, pedals etc. The trick is to keep the original bellhousing with it's mount for pedals etc, you'll need an adaptor between bell and new trans available from Buffalo Ent (banner ad runs on this home page). You can also use the EARLY 50s truck bellhousing but then you'll need to go to a totally different pedal and master cyl set up or fab a new mount for your master cyl etc.

Jim, I.I. #173
(It's easier to get forgiveness than permission!)
A
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
A
to HiTork,do you have that number for buffalo ent,or the web page thanks.and that rear end was that the same length?

H
Contributor
Contributor
H
You can call Buffalo (360)652-7684 or check his ad running on the home page.

Check out my truck in 'rides' section, Jim's 46. Rear end fits fine, mid 60's pickup with 6 lug, late 60s is same gears but to wide to fit under this truck.

Jim, I.I. #173
(It's easier to get forgiveness than permission!)
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
HI guy's, First post here.I'm a 46 chevy truck with a 54 235. My pedal fix was to weld a piece of box steel to my frame. Thats where I mounted the pedal. I did have to swap the bell housing to a 50s truck because the hole that accepts the tranny is too small.I used a piece of flat steel to make a mount for the emer. brake handle. On the brakes I got a front disc conversion,remote mount for MP brakes in Mooresville,N.C. I highly advise this .Stopping is a wonderful thing! Also the folks at MP don't get any better. Get a patricks catalog.It tells which tranny you want. Thats Very important.

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 296 guests, and 55 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SSG Pohlman, castironphil, uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101
6,786 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available