Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
L
Major Contributor
OP Offline
Major Contributor
L
hello.....here is the best and easiest way to acquire the CORRECT!!!!!!! 1/2" 292 flywheel bolt..Mr Gasket part # 914.....( 1/2"-20*1" Gr.8)....these have smaller head so clutch disc springs will not hit bolt head....approx. $12.00 a set......

M
Contributor
Contributor
M
Good info Lee. I was actually able to get them from a local Chevy dealer parts counter back in 2003. They may still be available through GM too.

-magic mike-

B
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
B
The ARP bolts for Pontiac V8s work well and are fairly easy to get. Also, depending on the flywheel, the Stage8 locking bolts for a 426 Hemi can work.

Inliner #1916
L
Major Contributor
OP Offline
Major Contributor
L
hello..thanks for comment Bruce..the Mr Gasket part #914 is actually listed as a Pontiac application....also yes these are the same bolts as the Chrysler Hemi-as used with the "hemi" engine and "hemi" 833 trans I have mentioned here before-STRONGEST 4 SPEED EVER MADE-ask around and MANY will confirm this....many used with the 292 and it NEVER broke-thats why Mopar used it with the Hemi.....

this Mr Gasket # is easiest way to find these bolts ...thought 292 users would want to know this so the correct bolts could be found VERY quickly....
thanks again
Lee

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
and yes you can get them from the dealer I did here in fla. about 6mos ago now. along with the PINs }[oooooo]

Larry/Twisted6
[oooooo] smile
Adding CFM adds boost smile
shocked God doesn't like ugly.
L
Major Contributor
OP Offline
Major Contributor
L
hello...thanks for info Larry-Just wanted to help those that might want the easiest way to find these bolts-again Mr Gasket Part # 914

this way you dont have to to pay dealer prices or go out of your way to a dealer-just go to your local parts store that sells Mr Gasket parts and get this set.....Of course you can get these at dealers-just thought this might be helpful......seems at 1 point there was a big issue here on where to find these bolts -well I thought I would share easiest way to find them...sorry
Lee

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
I know that Lee. no need to be sorry about that. their is also a set of 1/2in. ring gear Bolts that also work.But anyway. I haven't look at the set your talking about. Are they castled(notched) like the STOCK Bolts for the 292? }[oooooo]

Larry/Twisted6
[oooooo] smile
L
Major Contributor
OP Offline
Major Contributor
L
hello...no these are not castle heads... these bolt head have very little head-you do not have to worry about clutch disc springs hitting the head of the bolt-if it hasnt yet it will, thats why my racing network helped me find the right bolt-for racing or street....these are much different that 250 bolts......

Lee

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Yes Lee I know that the Bolts are different.And now after going through my stuff for my 292 I already have them Bolts. along with the ARP bolts. Oh and Just so you know That i already know That there is a diference Between the AT & STD Flywheel Bolts,( 194,230,250.292) There is also a Steel Ring/Plate That also came On the AT 292 FlyWheels.And just some other food for thought while we are talking about Bolts I have found that the Stock Bolts for the (194,230,250) STD stay in Place Better ON MY Motors then the ARP bolts.And I also seen that drilling for 3 extra bolts works out Better then USEing The Pins.
OH and While I seem to be FLexing my attitude were are the pictures Of The Crank shafts I'm sure People here are Waiting to see them.You Said that YOU'D Send them so we can Get them Posted.
Ok I'm done with this Bolt & Crank issue NEXT.

sorry for my 2cent attitude but hope it helped.
}[oooooo]

Larry/Twisted6
[oooooo] smile
L
Major Contributor
OP Offline
Major Contributor
L
hello...well thanks Larry..calm down whats that all about??? I am only talking about 292 flywheel bolts-and these flywheel bolts work with both the 292 flywheel and auto flexplate....
I just wanted to share with those that maybe wanted to find the quickest and easiest way to find 292 flywheel bolts-thats all-I am sure you can go here and there ,but if you buy Mr Gasket part # 914 you have any bolt issues problems solved- hope this helps those who have a 292 and want to know where to find these bolts- maybe this isnt of interest if you are not a 292 owner-so sorry to bother , but for 292 people try these bolts-easy to find and right/correct bolt

Yes Larry I will get pics, I have been very busy with my Remodeling business so I havent thad time to get you pictures, but you will get them....

ps,ever try the auto 292 auto flexplate ring on your flywheel?- this is a major key to not having any flywheel bolt problems for high rpm racing- at least here in this part of the country-another old school trick from the "old timers"...

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
no problem Lee kinda figured either busy or forgot.I know we all get side tracked now and then lol Just like i know I haven't gotten the other Head photos up yet myself I had planed on having them up on monday. But ran into issue with my dig.cameras software to down load them off my camera.
Hey Lee something I ment to ask you when we talked on the Phone. With all cranks you have or have came across mainly 250s some where bigger arond on the flywheel end Have you seen any Or come acoss any?

Larry/Twisted6
[oooooo] smile
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
no there are a few that are the same dia. as the 292 and can Be drilled for the 1/2 bolts. It is to my understanding That there was some But Not very many.I found this out just as i was about to redrill one of my 250 cranks. I had already Redrilled the flywheel. And i did that under sized so that a file fit was needed to fit the bolt shoulder like a Pin fit TIGHT. as most flywheels the holes themself Could be much/alittle smaller. to hold the shoulder of most bolts Much Tighter This is one issue I have seen with the STD flywheels. This to me is a issue Because You have to much play around the bolts as I see it.So when i order my next flywheel I plan to have the holes Undersized So that i can make a tighter fit.around the shoulder of the 7/16 bolts on the low deck motors(194,230,250) To me the play is a issue with the harmonics from the start. I think this is one reason also that GM did the pins So that the flywheel couldn't walk from the get/go persay.
But anyway I was just woundering if you had seen one. no biggie and not like I'm going to go out of my way to find one either.So just thought i'd ask. thanks
}[oooooo]

Larry/Twisted6
[oooooo] smile

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 533 guests, and 35 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
castironphil, uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony
6,785 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available