Print Thread
Rate Thread
#19492 03/26/05 12:11 AM
B
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
B
OK here's another question, which transmissions can I use with a 292 chevy engine, it was in a 65 chevy 1/2 ton. Plan on using it in a 46 gmc 1/2 ton. Any suggestions would be appriciated

Major Contributor
Major Contributor
Most of the GM trans will fit on the back of the 292. It is the same bolt pattern as the SBC. Are you going to use an Automatic or Standard Shift ? Looking for overdrive as well? My 292 has a 5 speed from a Camaro behind it and it works real nice.

Ontario Inliners
1965 Chevelle
1940 Chev
1965 Chev Pick-up
1970 MGB Roadster

J
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
J
Dear Rick;

I agree with GMD, It's your choice & depends how you plan to drive it etc.

Give Patrick's a call. They build a lot of trucks.

Happy Trails, John M.......

John M., I.I. #3370

"There are no shortcuts to any place worth going". -Anon
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
I have a 292 with a 4spd granny behind it right now. i found a t5 from a '84 Camaro 4-banger. It has a 14 spline input shaft.' should i pick this up?

R
Contributor
Contributor
R
look at the T5 section of "tech tips" on this web site you'll get all the low down on T5s'.
robert.

inliner # 3850
E
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
E
Wow, they put 4-bangers in '84 Camaros? What an "anti-sleeper"! All show and no go.

E
Contributor
Contributor
E
Are you going to work it? and haul a load or just drive it around MT? I have a '46 GMC w/ a 302 and I have installed an NP-541 5 speed trans which bolts up to any GM bolt pattern(they also come w/ Ford, Dodge, Stude, etc.). However, you will need the trans w/ the short input shaft(std GM car length) and the bellhousing w/ the 5.125" std. retainer hole. The nice thing about this trans is it is a close ratio 4-speed w/ a granny low gear.

They are reasonably plentiful and cheap. The main identifying feature is they have 4 shift rails and an AL top cover. Make sure the pins that the shift lever rides on in the top of the cover are in good shape. They are exactly the same as an NP-435 but w/ 5 speeds. The shift ball shows the pattern but are frequently missing.

When you go to a wrecking yard to search for one, don't ask for one, they won't know what you are talking about and if they do know, they will ask an arm and a leg for it. Just poke around until you find one, and take it out yopurself if possible. Need a .875 box wrench for the bottom 2 bolts.

You can also hook them up to a transfer case if you are so inclined. I hooked one up to a Dana 20 case(early Bronco) and an NP-241.

Ed Pruss
Longmont, CO

E
Newcomer
Newcomer
E
What vehicles did that NP-541 speed come in??

E
Contributor
Contributor
E
Usually NP-540, 541, 542 came in 1.5 ton and larger trucks. If you find one with the large input shaft, you can still use it if you get the thin (.25") adapter plate and bellhousing, clutch, with it that bolts up to GM engines(Chevy.)

C
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
C
Auto or Shift?
Remember that the 29 torque curve is slightly different than other L~6's
T5's are nice, the camaro guts built in an S-10 housing, becomes a 5 speed OD. good for gas mileage. Any automatic should fit as GMDad said. 700R4 are common as well as many other autos. See the tech section of inliners about T5's. There are different gearings for T5's depending on what automobile you get the tranny from. 26 spline camaro's and 16 spline astro vans and common 45 speeds. What do you want to do w/ your truck??
show, drive, commute, haul or play? Also remember that you will have to (if you are stock right now) change the rear end to match what you install for the tranny for open drive line. Matching the gearing is important. 4.10 for hauling and 1/4 mile racing... haha, 2.70 for flat areas and no OD or 5th gear use.

This site for many calculations on ET speeds, fuel injection systems & sizing, compression ratios, displacements, engine volumns, cylinder air flow, calculations on various engine components, tires sizes, gearing ratios and MORE.
SEE:::
http://www.smokemup.com/auto_math/mph_range2.php
Plug in your transmission type, tire size, calculate your enging RPM at any given speed.
Absolutely a wonderful tool for everone wanting to remake your old truck or car.

gooday
jim

Gooday
Caroline & Jim
& Lucinda our 3104
51-3100 inliner @ 4655
small wheel moves by fire and rod,
big wheel moves by the grace of god,
every time that wheel turns round,
bound to cover just a little more ground.

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
2 members (stock49, Twisted6), 412 guests, and 35 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available