Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
50 GMC Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
I have a 292 going into a 51 suburban and am wondering what decent street performance intakes would work in conjunction with Stovebolt Engine Company Cast Headers?

I talked to Clifford and they basically said NONE of their intakes would work, that they can only guarantee fit if I buy Clifford headers to work with their intakes.

Can anybody weigh in on this?

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Why not call Tom at Stovebolt and get the story straight from the horses mouth, so to speak.

FORD 300 inline six - THE BEST KEPT SECRET IN DRAG RACING!
S
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
S
hi, i have stovebolt cast headers and a clifford intake on my 230, works fine, i had to do a little filing on the flanges (the flat spot where you bolt them together to the head) because they overlapped. that's it.
matt

F
Contributor
Contributor
F
Hi,, I have Tom's split manifolds on my project,, I had a offy single four barrel on them it fit well flange to flange,,,but the deck heights off the head surface was different, so you have to grind on the little retainers you plan on using,, I got tired of that and bought a clifford single four barrel, like said I have a little filing side to side on the flange, but the casting heights off the head deck are almost identical,, no more grinding,,oh yeah....when I ordered my manifold 4 months ago (I just got it last week),, they didn't mention the difference,, they thought they fit each other well,,maybe they are just hungry for x-mas.....C-ya

50 GMC Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
Can you guys elaborate on which Cliffort intake you are using?

Frenchtownflyer - good suggestion, now why didn't I think of that?

F
Contributor
Contributor
F
Hey Ken I,m using a 42-4501-wh, it is the one you see in mostly every shot of a late gm six hop-up,, the 42-4501 doesnt have the water provision, but accepts a plate for water,,(Tom Langdon has them) and the old castings of that manifold(e-bay)have the provisions for a tap spot for the bell crank, I don't know if the new ones do, but mine (wh) does not,,,

B
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
B
I used Stovebolt headers with both a Clifford single 4 barrel intake and a dual 4 barrel with out any major issues on 292s. A little grinding was needed but nothing major. Used the Stovebolt aluminum clamps and a couple needed a little filing, but it all worked quite well together.

I would suggest fitting everything first if you are going to get the intake and/or headers coated.

Inliner #1916

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 383 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available