Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#20870 02/19/07 07:34 PM
67arch Offline OP
Newcomer
OP Offline
Newcomer
I am putting in pg behind my 250 in a 67 chevy c-10. Any pics or advise would be helpful. I would really like pics of any linkages and line routing.
thanks alot!

B
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
B
Assuming your truck was not originally equiped with an automatic and you want it to appear factory, you will need an automatic column out of a 67 or 68 pickup. I am not sure if the 69-72 will work. Depending on the spline count on the PG and what ever you are replacing you may need a different yoke and possibly driveline. You will need a trans cooler and either make or buy the lines. Parts books, shop manuals and assembly manuals are all available which will help show you what you want. Best thing however, it to find someone locally with a truck with the PG installed. It will not really matter if it is a 6 or an 8.

Inliner #1916
H
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
H
67Arch- My first upgrade in my 250 68 camaro, was to get RID of the PG. It seemed- at the time- that the gap between gears was very noticible in the stock 6. my buddy with a 327 did not have a problem. If you are replacing a stick, a used radiator from your same year truck that an automatic would give the cooling with out add ons and could the lines also! But do yourself a favor, check out a 350 th or the 700 or 200. My 3cents only, but PGs suck in low HP engine combos.Had a 350 for 26 years and just hooked up a 700r4 what an improvement! good luck Herb

68 Camaro 250 Clifford intake headers Holly 700r4 3:08 Cruiser I.I.3241
J
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
J
Herb is 'right on' there. You don't want a 2 speed anything (except OD) in a truck.

Even if you do get it all working good, you won't be happy because; you can't haul anything and no one will want to buy it either.

Good luck. \:\)

John M., I.I. #3370

"There are no shortcuts to any place worth going". -Anon
67arch Offline OP
Newcomer
OP Offline
Newcomer
I am getting rid of 3 speed that a prev. owner converted to floor. (hate it!!!!) I am kind of going old school with the truck and going to split the six with some smithy mufflers. I wanted the feel and sound of old hot rod. Not really worried about hauling. It's and aluminum out of 68 impala I believe. Thanks for posts.

J
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
J
If you put the 3 speed linkage back on the column, it will work just fine stock and worth more money for resale.

That's a lot easier that changing the driveline.

Happy trails. \:\)

John M., I.I. #3370

J
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
J
Lets make it easy here:

Drive your truck (level ground) from a dead stop up to 20 MPH in first gear, shift to third.

That's what you'll get with a Powerglide.

Still interested??

John M., I.I. #3370

67arch Offline OP
Newcomer
OP Offline
Newcomer
 Quote:
Originally posted by John H. Meredith:
Lets make it easy here:

Drive your truck (level ground) from a dead stop up to 20 MPH in first gear, shift to third.

That's what you'll get with a Powerglide.

Still interested??
Hmmmm.... That is an interesting way to put it. I think I will do that when I get rear suspension put back together.

H
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
H
John, you do have a way with words! 1st to 3rd how simple. By the way is there anyone in our group who really like the PG?

68 Camaro 250 Clifford intake headers Holly 700r4 3:08 Cruiser I.I.3241
Newcomer
Newcomer
Herb,
I like the aluminium PG. Years ago I swapped a 283 with an aluminium PG into a Vega. I later swapped the PG for an TH350. The TH350 improved performance,but the mileage wasn't as good on the hiway. I think the extra rotating mass in the TH350 was the reason. All that rotates in the PG in high is the input shaft,the high gear
clutch hub and the output shaft.
I think if you drive alot at hiway speeds and are concerened about mileage the PG is a better choice. Just depends on how a person wants to use
their vehicle. My 2 cents.

6bngr261

J
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
J
There's nothing wrong with a Powerglide in a factory application or the 'later' aluminum version.

A V-8 into a Vega is an improvement no matter what trans.

Swaping a PG for a three speed is just bad arithmetic. Your spending money/time to make your vehicle worth less and more difficult to sell later on.

Then you can't haul anything either and unless you driving several thousand miles per month on the highway, you'll never get your money back.

L@@k before you leap here. \:\)

John M., I.I. #3370

J
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
J
W;

I said; "worth less" not worthless.

ANY conversion that 'downgrades' performance causes a drop in ($) value everywhere. That's the way it is in the 'car market', not just my opinion.

If it were a car it wouldn't matter, like you say. \:\)

Sorry to hear about the RA. \:\(

John M., I.I. #3370

Active BB Member
Active BB Member
Hi,

I owned a 62 Chevy II with a 194 and PG. I had it painted, upolstered, carpeted and got a 250, mild cam, 4 barrel, headers, HEI and the 194 head. I was a factory power steering and power brakes car, I added AC. The glide didn't have radiator cooling lines, just holes on the side of the bell housing and sheetmetal on the torque converter as a fan that did the cooling.

I have to tell you that it ran out real nice and could "peel out" not smoke the tires. It did good until about 40 mph and then it was like a big block up to about 90 mph. Couldn't (wouldn't ) go much faster with the old Chevy II suspension.

In my opinion, unless you are going for as light as possible, then go with a 350 or better yet a 700r4. I like drivability. If I have the glide in hand, then I might experiment.

Either way have fun

Luis

M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
I think the PG's had no external cooling lines w/a 194, no powerhouse engine there, it can't really heat up the trans, but put a high stall converter in, you better put cooling lines in, or an engine that can make enough power to heat up the trans fluid.

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
Use a 250 w/ PG in my Chevy -50 and one thing to say, the PG dont make any problems! The strength of this trans are incredible! Then race against a 54 w/ souped 235 w/ stickshift, didnt got any problems to beat him.
PG alu of Nova -70 dont have aircooling, no tubes to set, and said that the slipp in 30mph is approx. 18%, who dont give raw acceleration, but.....
Stock shiftmechanisme is used with only one of the linkages connected from gearshift, no problems

"if your car needs more than 2 hubcaps, it ainīt COOL"
M
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
M
In defense of the Powerglide I must admit that many years ago I had a 55 Chev with a 235 and a 'glide. With a set of good snow tires and an empty V8 block in the trunk for weight ( what else would you use a V8 for??? )that car was unstoppable driving through snow. Otherwise I never was too fond of the old 2 speed oil pumps.

Mike G #4355

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 316 guests, and 49 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
castironphil, uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony
6,785 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available