Rate Thread
#21933 06/28/02 04:08 AM
O
olsten Offline OP
Newcomer
OP Offline
Newcomer
O
I am building a 50 chev coupe with a Mustang II front end, 9" Ford, Tremec 5 speed and a 292. I'm having Sissells build the motor with a lump port head. I've decided I would like to Turbo the motor. Does any body have any info on getting compontents to do this or do I have to build everything. Would appreciate any help. Thanks

Gary

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
The turbos you can find in a bone yard Or can buy them new Now as for the intake&ex that you will have to make or have someone make it for you. All that i have seen were home made. hope this helps.}[oooooo]

Ps.I'm slowly doing one myself to put into another chevy2 i have but it will also be getting a straight axle under it. And I will be building the intake&ex myself.

------------------
NovaMan/Twisted6/Larry

[This message has been edited by Twisted6 (edited 06-28-2002).]

Larry/Twisted6
[oooooo] smile
Adding CFM adds boost smile
shocked God doesn't like ugly.
O
olsten Offline OP
Newcomer
OP Offline
Newcomer
O
Twisted 6, thanks for the reply. I was talking with Ak Miller & he suggested using the stock 2 1/2" truck ex manifold, which probably makes sense. Now if I can run one of those down, I wonder if it is still avilable from GM? I'm using a Clifford 4 barrel manifold, may look at Holly's fuel injection

Quote:
Originally posted by Twisted6:
The turbos you can find in a bone yard Or can buy them new Now as for the intake&ex that you will have to make or have someone make it for you. All that i have seen were home made. hope this helps.}[oooooo]

Ps.I'm slowly doing one myself to put into another chevy2 i have but it will also be getting a straight axle under it. And I will be building the intake&ex myself.

[This message has been edited by olsten (edited 06-28-2002).]

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
You mean the ex port right? I wounder if the Van ones would be the same I have many stock ex manifolds Not sure what they all came from But if the port opening is what you are talking about I can check them. Also the stock car one will work I have seen some useing both stock manifolds with turbos. But not far from is a bone yard with a 292 in a van and i think the ex.manifold is still there i can check. that 21/2 that you are talking about I do beleave was on the 292 truck motors. }[oooooo]

------------------
NovaMan/Twisted6/Larry

[This message has been edited by Twisted6 (edited 06-29-2002).]

Larry/Twisted6
[oooooo] smile
Adding CFM adds boost smile
shocked God doesn't like ugly.
O
olsten Offline OP
Newcomer
OP Offline
Newcomer
O
Twisted6, I actually have a motor that is out of a van but it has the 2" exaust. I think the 2 1/2" only came in the bigger trucks & school busses and only 292's had them. I think the 2 1/2" also has a 3 bolt flange for the exaust pipe.

Quote:
Originally posted by Twisted6:
You mean the ex port right? I wounder if the Van ones would be the same I have many stock ex manifolds Not sure what they all came from But if the port opening is what you are talking about I can check them. Also the stock car one will work I have seen some useing both stock manifolds with turbos. But not far from is a bone yard with a 292 in a van and i think the ex.manifold is still there i can check. that 21/2 that you are talking about I do beleave was on the 292 truck motors. }[oooooo]

L
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
L
hello... yes you are correct about the different 292 /2.5" outlet exhaust manifold...they are hard to find, but are out there...quick way to recognize is that this manifold has the outlet off center to the right of center(toward rear of vehicle)...the smaller "standard" 250/292 exhaust manifold outlet is in the center....hope this helps

Lee

M
Contributor
Contributor
M
I called the GM dealer in my home town and they claim they can get a new manifold for $260. I'm not sure what size the exhaust is though.

M6

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 218 guests, and 44 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SSG Pohlman, castironphil, uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101
6,786 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available