Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#22029 09/19/02 12:39 AM
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
After looking at the Clifford Forums lately and hearing the horror stories about ordering and shipping, I'm looking for some help. Some things like the water-heat plate to update my Clifford manifold I know have to come from there but hopefully somebody on this forum can steer me toward the other parts and pieces for my 250 Chevy 6. I need intake and exhaust gaskets (best ones that other people have experience with) collector gaskets, a new timing gear set and thrust plate and somewhere to order a 390 Holley and an idea of what spare parts (jets, accellerator pump cams, etc) would be best or needed to tune the carb to my engine once I get everything on the engine. Also I have a set of dual headers for this car, is there an advantage to running dual exhaust all the way back or would a "Y" pipe connecting the two outlets from the headers and then dumping into a good muffler (Flowmaster, Dynomax, etc.) be just as good or not. I know this got kind of long, but I would appreciate any help or advice I could get. As I said after saving the money and being ready to order, then reading the Clifford Forums I think I need alternatives for the non-Clifford specific parts.
Thanks for any help.
Denny

#22030 09/19/02 02:29 AM
G
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
G
General rebuild parts can be had from any local parts store such as Napa, Car Quest, Weaver, etc....

Never had much for problems with gasket brands, but Felpro is always a good place to start. Napa and JC Whitney carry them.

Tom Langdon carries some of the speed parts you're looking for.

A 390 Holley is a 390 Holley. Won't really matter where you get it from, but you could try Jegs or Summit Racing, they also have parts, etc... for Holley carbs.

I.I. #3174
#22031 09/19/02 07:23 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Do not buy any gasket parts from Napa of the other generic auto parts stores. Go to a speed shop and order yourself a Felpro set of gaskets. These are steel reinforced and they'll last a lot longer and you'll sleep better at night.
As for the heat palte, it's easy enough to make one out Aluminum or call Tom Langdon @Stovebolt Engine Co.
Do not run a single exhaust when you have a split manifold. The faster you get fuel and air through your motor, the better. Do not restrict the exhaust.
I use Corvette Chambered mufflers that baffle the exhaust at idle, but give you straight thru performance when you give it the gas.

#22032 09/19/02 09:29 PM
O
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
O
Raprap:

$How much$ are those mufflers??

------------------
ONEBADSIX- aka SINGLEFILE250

ONEBADSIX- aka SINGLEFILE250
#22033 09/19/02 09:37 PM
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Thanks for the replies! As for the heat plate, am I correct that the one Langdon's has attaches to a recess in the bottom of either the stock or Offenhauser manifold? My Clifford intake doesn't have a recessed area there, it's just flat on the bottom of the plenum, so I'm thinking the Langdon one won't work. Please correct me if this is wrong. I figured the only way to have heat on the Clifford manifold was going to be with the Clifford plate attached on top to mount the carb on.
Denny

#22034 09/20/02 02:16 AM
G
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
G
As I said, Napa and JC whitney both handle Felpro gaskets. As with anything, shop around and compare prices.

[This message has been edited by gearhead (edited 09-19-2002).]

I.I. #3174
#22035 09/21/02 12:26 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Denny,

The Clifford heat plate that fits under the carb is not going to help heat the manifold, which is where you need it - It "may" provide some improvement in extreme cold weather operation but doesn't address the problem of keeping the mixture in suspension when it enters a cold manifold. And unfortunately, the older Clifford intakes didn't include the connection for the stock heat box - they were designed for use with tube headers. I think you'd be better off replacing the Clifford intake with a the later version, or look for an Offy with the heat box connection.

As for gaskets, I've always liked the Clifford one-piece intake/exhaust gasket because they are easier (for me, at least) to install. Only one piece to align and keep in place instead of 3. And they seem to hold up well, too. I'm sure these are sourced from another maker, but as Gearhead mentions, Langdon's Stovebolt is a stocking Clifford dealer and should be able to help you.

#22036 09/21/02 04:52 PM
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
As far as the Holley 390, I priced all of the local auto parts stores, and Jegs and Summit. The local Advance Auto Store gave me the best price. (Yep, surprised me too!)

Breach and Clear
#22037 09/22/02 03:18 AM
1000 Post Club
Online Content
1000 Post Club
Mr. gasket And Felpro both make the one peice intake & exhaust gasket.
Hope this helps }[oooooo]

------------------
NovaMan/Twisted6/Larry

Larry/Twisted6
[oooooo] smile
Adding CFM adds boost smile
shocked God doesn't like ugly.
#22038 09/22/02 09:07 PM
K
Contributor
Contributor
K
If you wanted to keep your clifford intake and still get water heating to the intake like Jack reccommends, you should contact Langdon's and have them weld a water chamber to it. I'm using an oddball racing intake, and had them modify it for street use. They do very good work. Twisted6 probably could do this for you, also.

#22039 09/23/02 11:28 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
One Bad Six-

The Mufflers were ony $35.00 a piece and I beleive well worth the performance and sound!
good Luck!

#22040 09/23/02 07:37 PM
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Thanks for the replies, gives me some ideas. E-mailed Langdon's about modifying the manifold Sunday night from home. Have to wait and see the reply. Didn't know Twisted6 also did this kind of work. Larry-is it possible for you to do this also? How long would it take and approximate cost?
You can reach me at hpddenny@midco.net if you want.
Thanks again
Denny

#22041 09/26/02 02:42 AM
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
Hey raprap,

I am wondering how those mufflers work? Is there movable components inside?

Humm

Thanks

Luis

#22042 09/26/02 01:05 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
No. The best thing about those mufflers is there is NOTHING inside to burn out or come lose. They are just a Crimped 3" diameter tubes. No baffles, glass wool, steel wool, deflectors. They will always sound the same as long as the clamps stay tight! The 6" diameter exhaust tips add volume and resonance!

#22043 09/28/02 08:06 AM
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
Raprap,

Do you think that the local authorities would have something to say about the sound that the chambered mufflers make behind a six? We have some street racing going on around here and locals are out in force. I am looking for a new sound but glass packs only last 1-2 years.

Thnks

Luis

#22044 09/30/02 11:55 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So far, so good! I've had the local police follow me through town and most give me the thumbs up. I guess as long as I'm not squirrling around, they're not too loud. I have come close in being pulled though. There is this small town here that has a lot of "trendy" type people living there, ok, nuevo-rich jerks that have their Lexus SUV's in different colors, and they have demanded that their little kids have a safe & quiet enviroment to play their GameBoys in. I have actually had parents run after my car to right down the license number to discourage me driving through their town. I did get a letter from their police department for driving a vehicle with excessive noise. No ticket, just a warning! I framed it and take it to all the car shows I attend.

You can "mellow" the sound of these Chambered mufflers through your gas pedal. I think they are just great! Ask Tom Langdon who just recently heard them at Kalamazoo!

RapRap
1940 Chevy Coupe

#22045 09/30/02 05:24 PM
S
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
S
....just where is this "little town" you speak of? Sounds like it would be a good place for a cruise-in.

#22046 09/30/02 05:53 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You guys kill me!

It's the little "boutique" town of Cedarburg, WI. About 30 north of Milwaukee. If we ever drove through town, the windows would shatter.

When do you want to go?

RapRap
1940 Chevy Coupe

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 346 guests, and 47 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SSG Pohlman, castironphil, uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101
6,786 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available