Rate Thread
#22091 01/09/03 10:04 PM
J
jay116 Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
J
Does anyone know of any parts that will fit onto the 230/250 to convert to serpentine.
Or am I on my own to figure this out.
I will probably end up having to figure this out as I plan on adding a blower. Any help would be appreciated.

------------------
Jason

Active BB Member
Active BB Member
At least you guys can run the SBC balancers!

Most GM pullies swap over, but the spacing is what gets ya. You could use March stuff for the PS and Alt; something else to think about is the direction of the water pump rotation- how to keep it right, while getting that serpentine around there.

JEFF
68 Firebird 4.2 Trailblazer engine
F
Newcomer
Newcomer
F
HI JAY: I recently came across a catalog from PIONEER INC.,--They have pullies by the ton--check out #DA-2503(serpetine harmonic for a 250).Contact them @1-800-821-2303,cust. serv.,or 1-800-647-6272,tech assist.--Hope this helps--DON

Quote:
Originally posted by jay116:
Does anyone know of any parts that will fit onto the 230/250 to convert to serpentine.
Or am I on my own to figure this out.
I will probably end up having to figure this out as I plan on adding a blower. Any help would be appreciated.

J
Contributor
Contributor
J
The direction the water pump turns is the key to your efforts. Try looking at the sepentine belt equipped late-model 151 ci (metric iron duke). You can find them in almost every 80's S-10 pickup out there. I believe the water pumps have the same gasket, so the reverse-turn 4-cyl water pump will fit your 6. You could then bolt most all of the front end from the 4-banger onto your 6.

Your only issue now sounds like where & how the supercharger belt will hook up!

------------------
David

David
newbie #4153
G
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
G
Is there a harmonic balancer out there that would work with a 250 and the 151's serpintine belt equipment? I'm sure the 151's balancer wouldn't be tuned right for the two extra cylinders.

J
Contributor
Contributor
J
You're right GMCPanel. The "balancer" on the 151 is just a short flange hub like the original 265 and 283's had. There is no split-ring balancer like we're accustomed to seeing. That doesn't mean that it won't work, though. All those old V8's ran fine without a dampener, and lots of them didn't even have a crank/hub retaining bolt. They were merely pressed on like some of our sixes.

The only issue still there is how to connect the blower brive belt, since the 151 serpentine pulley bolts right to the hub and sticks out about 3" to line up with all the rest of the pulleys. I would bet that the Pioneer catalog referred to above might have a solution available for that, too

------------------
David

David
newbie #4153
G
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
G
I'm not trying to add a blower to my 250, but the serpintine belt idea does sound kinda fun.

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (stock49), 26 guests, and 21 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Ehb86, OldFord777, Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil
6,789 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available