Print Thread
Rate Thread
#22098 01/11/03 04:19 AM
C
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
C
I have a small collection of car mags from the 50s and 60s and I see a number of ads for vapor, water, and alcohol injection systems. What was the purpose and did they work?
Mike

Cheeseheadmike
52 Ford F2 Stumppuller
215 dual carb, point, + exhaust
#22099 01/11/03 01:42 PM
L
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
L
hello....interesting subject....seems it was used(and maybe still by some) for 2 reasons what i have gathered(anyone with more knowledge can add and please do)-1 was to increase CR since water -when compressed makes steam-steam takes of space-so in a cylinder this can create more cylinder pressure so after the spark there is a BIGGER bang for more power....another reason was to add to turbo engines(maybe supercharged also) to help control detonation and preignition.....basically using water will increase power....if anyone else has anything here ,please share- i have always wondered why this water injection isnt on every engine out there---mmm must be to simple to be good huh? LOL

Lee

#22100 01/11/03 04:52 PM
K
Contributor
Contributor
K
Hi, check with Mustang_Geezer on the fordsix.com forums. He uses water injection in his inline six Mustang, and smokes the tires with it!

Kinky6.

#22101 01/11/03 08:48 PM
B
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
B
i have used water injection on my propane fuelled hemi 6 for years(swear by it)basically it allows you to run higher comp ratios before the start of detonation(pinging).with propane(102-105 octane)12:1 is about the highest you can go but with the water 14:1 is possible,similary with petrol(gas)10.5:1 is about it(98octane) water allows you to go to 11.5.there are 2 ways to iject the water.one is by a small pump(mainly used on turbo's) and the other is by vacume such as i use.uses about 1/2 a liter per 75 liters of fuel(depending on driving conditions,the harder you drive the more water that is used)steve

#22102 01/12/03 03:22 AM
C
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
C
Thanks for the info guys. I've been thinking of doing this to my 215 Ford since I saw the ads in my Aug. 1952 Speed Age mag. I wasn't sure that there would be any benefits with my low CR (7.15:1)except for carbon removal.

------------------
Cheeseheadmike
52 Ford F2 Stumppuller

Cheeseheadmike
52 Ford F2 Stumppuller
#22103 01/15/03 12:43 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Let's turn back the clock a bit to 1966.
I was in high school and bought a used 1962 Olds F-85 Jetfire Coupe. This had the 215 Aluminum V-8 that was shared with Buick and eventually was bought by Rover. This was a narrow (Nailhead type) small cube V-8 that was cherished by hotrodders due to it's narrow profile, light weight, and hp to cubic inches ratio. Stock with a 2 bbl, it was rated at 165Hp. with a 4 bbl-185Hp. With the 4 bbl and the Alchohol/Water injected Turbo version(JetFire), it was rated at 215Hp.
This was one of a few firsts for the auto industry for a off the showroom floor car had equal Hp to Cubic inch rating(other being FI 283). It worked like a champ but most eventually disconnected the injection system because you had to "mix" the alchohol&water with a certain ratio and a full bottle would only last a week or so. It was vacuum operated when you floored it and the turbo boost was at it's highest, it would suck that bottle(approx a quart) dry really fast. What many people did not know was that when the Turbo spooled up, it needed the water/alchohol mixture to cool the turbo. So when most people disconnected the injection system, it caused the turbo to overheat, warp the impellers and fail. No small wonder that there are not many of these still around.

RapRap
1940 Chevy Coupe

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 445 guests, and 23 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB
6,784 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available