Rate Thread
#22388 06/11/03 06:54 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I was hoping to find some info on experiences people have had supercharging inline six motors specifically a 194-250 G.M. I have a centrifugal Paxton VS57 and a built 250 on the way. The motor will be going into a 63 NOVA but I was hoping to get some pointers before I start. The concerns I have include any and/or all of the following:
-Brackets and pulleys, I have none.
-Distributor and timing related issues specifically advance, I can forsee problems in this area although I'm sure there are solutions.
-Camshaft, intake, carburetion setup for best all-around performance and effectiveness.
-Any other "surprises" I may wish to know before attempting from those who can enlighten me from their mistakes/experiences.

Thanks In Advance
Rian
P.S. For info on the supercharger visit www.vs57.com, it seems to have a lot of good general info about this supercharger.

P
Newcomer
Newcomer
P
I have not heard of anyone doing this but it seems like a great application for a turbo or supercharger. With the exhaust and intake on the same side of the head, a turbo installation would be very clean. Typically you would run a lower compression, say 7 or 8:1, depending on the boost. Mid-70's motors with low 8.0-8.5:1 compression could work well with 5-6 pounds of boost. The 1974+ model 250s with integral intake manifolds eliminate the sealing problems you would have when you pressurized the intake tract. I am guessing you would also have to O-ring the head or you would easily blow a head gasket. If you blow through the carb you would need to pressurize it, this is a special application that I am not too familiar with. Unless you can fabricate an intake adapter to pull through the carb. It is very interesting to consider, that's for sure!

Say, who built your motor, I am looking to rebuild a 250 six with a little more umph.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I put a vs 57 on a full load 261. A LOT of fab work. I agree with Pete on compression,but your 250 has a much better combustion chambers than my 261. So you could use a little more compression. 5lbs of boost is worth 2 1/2 points of compression. These superchargers were installed on hot stock motors with no change inside the motor but 100 octane was 47 cents a gallon. Call Craig at Paradise Wheels 760 740 0954 in San Marcos Ca .He is now the factory rep on Paxton and McCulloch superchargers

T
Contributor
Contributor
T
if u can find a supercharger from a 5.0 litre mustang...i think its a Paxton or something like that...that would be a fairly easy supercharger to hook up...once u figgure out where to mount it and get the mounts made up (souldnt be too hard) then the rest is basically plumbing...u would need to get a new float for the carb...a nitrofyl (or however u say it) float is good...something solid so it doesnt crush....needed more on a turbo engine but is good to have anyways. u wont have to worry about blowing the head gasket as long as u have a thin steel gasket...like the stock ones...any on the new gaskets are thicker and easier to blow out. electric fuel pump would be the best, but u could get away possibly with mounting a regulator very close to the carb...if its far away with long fuel hose then the pressure will be very inconsistant...but electric would be the best way to go. upgrade the ignition to at least have a high performance coil... timing will most likely have to be retarded a few degrees...u would need premium fuel which costs a lot right now. for pulleys for the supercharger get the smallest pulley u can for it...smaller the pulley the more boost u will have, but only about 2lbs of boost difference. i have never done supercharging or turbo...so can anyone enlighten me as to whether or not a supercharger also requires lubrication like a turbo does, or does it lubricate itself?

got my 78 merc with a 250 I6 and i love it.
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Get the vs 57 manual from Paradise Wheels. Follow there advice on spark curve(sbc and your 230 have the same combustion chambers or close enough).Your fuel curve is very important use a exhaust gas analizer to get it right. To get your electric fuel pump to work right the vent should be plumbed some where between blower outlet and carbs. Btw don't put your carb upstream of blower(draw through)the seal won't take fuel.Don't worry about floats 6 lbs won't hurt them. Your vs 57 is supposed to be quiet if it is noisy get it repaired. I didn't have any head gasket problems. For running on the edge you might consider a water alochol injection. It will work. It will be a lot of work. But well worth it. With thought and care you will succeed. Good Luck

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Something in the 400-450 should work fine. And you will want to say with a cam lobe seperation of 112-114 kinda like you would as if your running NOS.When i spoke with paxtion 17yrs ago when first thought about doing this I wanted TWO of them One for each carb at the time. Their kits came with a hat for the carb.and what ever else was needed at that time. Or i would have had to make my own if I only wanted one Hat. And if i remember right It also came with all That was needed to be mounted on the Motor?? JUST DOUBLE Check with THEM. AS for The Intake Offey Or Clifford will work just fine.JUST Call who evers cam You plan on going with and Tell them what you want to do and You planon running a blower/superchager/Turbo and They can tell you would be a Good Choice and what will be a Good Base line to start the timing at. Also step up to a Elec. fuel Pump. Hope this Helps.}[oooooo]

PS Think TWICE. PLUMB ONCE saves Money and Headacks.

Larry/Twisted6
[oooooo] smile
Adding CFM adds boost smile
shocked God doesn't like ugly.

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 368 guests, and 43 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
castironphil, uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony
6,785 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available