Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Y
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Y
Does anyone know what 6-cylinder electronic distributor could be used as a donor for a 248 GMC? I have access to a machine shop so that's not a problem. I know Jim Carter sells one machined and ready to go but I'd like to do it myself. I've looked at Pertronix but I will be using this as a daily driver and I want to use a readily available distributor body that can be rebuilt with over the counter parts in case I break down in the middle of nowhere!

N
Contributor
Contributor
N
I'm confused about the Pertronix. I have one in my Nova and it uses the stock distributor.

Terry/Novaconv
I.I. #3948
Y
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Y
What I want to do is use a late-model HEI distributor with the small body and machine the shaft down to fit the 248. HEI parts are very easy to find in auto parts stores while traveling. Finding a Pertronix unit or parts for a Mallory is not so easy. I would also prefer something with vacuum advance.

E
Contributor
Contributor
E
 Quote:
Originally posted by yellosub54:
What I want to do is use a late-model HEI distributor with the small body and machine the shaft down to fit the 248. HEI parts are very easy to find in auto parts stores while traveling. Finding a Pertronix unit or parts for a Mallory is not so easy. I would also prefer something with vacuum advance.

E
Contributor
Contributor
E
I just got a GM HEI off a 292 Chevy and it bolted right in. You might have to rephase the distributor so the vacuum chmber doesn't hit the rocker box cover. Most wrecking yards don't know what they are much less want to mess w/ 6 cyl engines, so just keep your eyes open.
 Quote:
Originally posted by Ed Pruss:

Contributor
Contributor
Tom at www.stoveboltengine.com
sells those for 230,250,292. Or, can advise you on your motor.

[This message has been edited by 51 El Plymino (edited 11-03-2003).]

1951 Ply Concord truck
1954 Nash Rambler 2 dr
1955 Nash Rambler Farina
H
Contributor
Contributor
H
Just go find one from a 250-292 late model Chevy inline. Now, very important! Make this new donor HEI fit your motor EXACTLY like the stock unit did. This means length of drive into motor/fit to oil pump, placement of the gear(you can flip the little gear over to adjust for location on shaft), plus you may need to turn down the housing to eliminate the collar that allows for depth. Patrick's/Mallory units uses a "clamp on" stop, adjustable for depth etc.
Also the HEI's come with either remote coil or coil in the cap, either will work. Or you can go first cabin and get the MINI HEI from Langdon's. Either way you'll be happy!!!!!1

Jim, I.I. #173
(It's easier to get forgiveness than permission!)

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 321 guests, and 36 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available