Print Thread
Rate Thread
V
vanman Offline OP
Newcomer
OP Offline
Newcomer
V
did GM make a bigger (cubic inches) version of the 250 six? and what can I do to get a lil' mo out of it?

Billy
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Yes Gm also had a 292 which was found in most trucks (big & small) And you can do just about anything you can dream of or Pay for with in reason. So we could use a little more info on what you would like or want to do. hope this helps }[oooooo]

------------------
NovaMan/Twisted6/Larry

Larry/Twisted6
[oooooo] smile
Adding CFM adds boost smile
shocked God doesn't like ugly.
V
vanman Offline OP
Newcomer
OP Offline
Newcomer
V
hi there I guess that was a bit vague...
so the 292 is the same engine family as the 250? if so can I swap out the crankshaft, rods and pistons to make it biger or is the block diffrent (taller) or what has to be done to get more ci out of it. I know very little about these sixes, I have had scores of V8 stuff over the last ten years but this is my first I6. it seems to move the van ok but I would like to get all I can out of it (within reason) meaning useing mostly stock stuff, "if" I decide to go thru it. I refuse to put a smallblock in it they are just too tight in those older vans to suit me. and if I can get up around 300 ci and and a little more hp and torque (low end torque is good!) its not worth swaping it out for the v8. and besides! the six is soooooo smooth! and starts so easy and nice its almost unbeliveable.

Billy
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
If you have a 292 that you can but in that van.That would be good ,But you would need to make a new passanger side motor mount Because the 292 mount is where the fuel pump is on a 250. As for swaping a 292 crank into a 250 it would cost you at least 1000. just to have a crank cut & different pistons. Most 250 were stock at 150-155 hp getting up to the 300hp may not be all that street able for you But to bring it up to the 200-250 is not all that hard to get and still be street able. with some changes to the intake system ,cam, headers, and some good head work
Is this van a std. or a AT and what is in it now a 250?
hope this is a helping start. }[oooooo]

Ps And the 292 is a little taller but should still fit in the dog house. What Yr Van do you have?
------------------
NovaMan/Twisted6/Larry

[This message has been edited by Twisted6 (edited 06-14-2003).]

Larry/Twisted6
[oooooo] smile
Adding CFM adds boost smile
shocked God doesn't like ugly.
V
vanman Offline OP
Newcomer
OP Offline
Newcomer
V
ok its a 1978 shortie van and it is curently a 250 and 3 speed stick. eventually I was thinking of converting it to automatic, I have a good powerglide I can put in it. but that would depend on how much I build up the engine. I like standards better but I am not to impressed with the performance of a column shifter, it works but you get the idea. I just got the van a few weeks ago and drove it home with a sick 3 speed saginaw, the input bearing was toast! I am trying to get it back together this weekend. anyways I am pretty sure there is enough height and I can always fab up a engine bracket, sounds like the easyiest way is to be on the lookout for a good rebuildabe 292 and go from there. thanx lots!

Billy

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 218 guests, and 44 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SSG Pohlman, castironphil, uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101
6,786 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available