Print Thread
Rate Thread
#24011 12/31/04 10:13 PM
T
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
T
have any of you ever hopped up a buick straight 8? and are there any performance parts for them?

#24012 01/01/05 12:16 AM
D
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
D
Troy,

Buick straight-eights respond well to normal hot rodding. As one who's been out-run by more than one car, powered by a big ol' Buick, I'll vouch for that!

Increase the breathing with some port work, headers, better intake manifold,('41 Buick intakes with two carbs were popular when I was a kid, but may be difficult to find today) ignitions converted to 12V Petronix would give a great boost. Connecting one of these engines to a modern 5-speed would give awsome results, too. They are NOT high-reving engines, so plan to keep your RPM to a reasonable limit. (The crank will flex, if wound too tight)

You'll probably have to build your own intake/exhaust manifolds and/or modify the original ones. I doubt if you'll easily find any after market stuff like that today.

If I were you, I'd call or e-mail Tom Langdon, at Stovebolt Engine Parts Co. and get the straight info from him. Langdon's a wizard with anything that runs and won't steer you wrong. Tom has some fantastic progressive 2-barrel carburetors and the price is unbeatable. (I've got two of 'em on my 181 Mercruiser) I'll bet 3 of 'em on your Buick would make it honk!

Man, I hope you post some photos becasue I, for one, would love to see another hot inline Buick 8 on the road!

Lord, let me live long enough to do all the projects I have planned!
#24013 01/02/05 05:32 PM
H
Contributor
Contributor
H
Troy, Check out Rides on this site, there's at least one Buick listed. There have been a few Buick 8 articles in the Club NL as well. Also, over the years I've seen many dual+ carb intakes for Buick '8's at swap meets. I'd search ebay and place some 'wanted' ads around.
Best of luck

Jim, I.I. #173
(It's easier to get forgiveness than permission!)

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 276 guests, and 44 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available