Rate Thread
#24197 01/20/05 05:08 PM
P
PBRme Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
P
Hello all, been a lurker for awhile, but figured i'd hit you up for help.
About me...
I have a 54 2 door belair, running the (you guessed it) stovebolt. Motor is fresh, as is the powerglide. Last spring wanted to get a little more outta her, went with a Ellis intake with 2 carter W1's, and a fenton split. Now it's colder outside and time to get things ready for this coming spring. Noticed my homemade linkage was not giving my true WOT, slight adjustment and WOW, it really moves! And now I can really tell it's running rich.
My guess is time to down jet the carbs, but reading the tech tips, i just blocked off the heat riser on the fenton. Guessing i am wrong for doing this, but where should that go on an Ellis manifold? There are holes on the top of the intake that i pluged, i'll assume there, but how do i hook this up? By doing that could that help my rich running condition?

Thanks in advance,
Jeff

#24198 01/20/05 10:53 PM
1000 Post Club
Online Content
1000 Post Club
by having heat to the intake yes it will help that issue. Because it helps to atomize the fuel much better. Now as how to hook up or get heat to that intake I'm not sure I never seen one.
}[oooooo]

Larry/Twisted6
[oooooo] smile
Adding CFM adds boost smile
shocked God doesn't like ugly.
#24199 01/23/05 02:57 PM
P
PBRme Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
P
Anybody know how to hook this up? could i just weld a line (1/2" breakline) to the plate on the fenton, and pipe it into the manifold? Can the line be open to the intake, and not cause a vacume leak?

#24200 01/23/05 04:20 PM
C
Contributor
Contributor
C
I may be wrong, but I think the Ellis is water heated so you have to connect it to your coolant system.

If those holes are for vacuum (wipers, breakes, etc) you can`t route water throu - of course.

Maybe making a "bridge" from Iron connected to the header and the intake would do the job.

yust my 2 cents

Frank

To old to die young.
#24201 01/23/05 05:53 PM
P
PBRme Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
P
C-Dan,
these are not for water, they are directly into the intake, i'm just guessing they are for heat, they are 3/4" pipe plug threads. I'm thinking about getting brass fittings that have compression fitting so i can run the 'heat tubes' in. Just not sure if enought heat would run up from just welding lines on the plate on the fenton that i made.

Jeff

#24202 01/23/05 06:20 PM
1000 Post Club
Online Content
1000 Post Club
Hi PBRme . . .

Are you by chance a Pabst Blue Ribbon fan?

If the holes go directly into the intake they are definitely for vacuum (for as C-Dan pointed out - wipers, brake-booster, distributor advance etc.) You don't want to put water or exhaust in there.

Check out the bottom of your intake. Does it have a place for it to bolt to the stock exhaust manifold?

If it does, then that is the place to fit a heat plate. You can use NPT to compression fittings to plumb water or you can run exhaust heat from the holes in the fentons (shouldn't have to weld anything to them). There's a guy who occasionally posts on ebay. He sells a very nice setup for this. As does Langdon's stovebolt.

regards,
stock49

[Linked Image from 49fastback.com]
#24203 01/23/05 09:38 PM
J
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
J
Dear Jeff;

The heat option is only needed in the colder climates. Spring is coming!!!

Try driving 'normal' for a while & see etc. "Two pot" set-ups generaly don't require re-jetting with the W-1 carbs.

Also the engine needs to be at operating temp too.

Good luck, John M....

John M., I.I. #3370

"There are no shortcuts to any place worth going". -Anon
#24204 01/24/05 11:14 AM
P
PBRme Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
P
Thanks for the input guys,
I live near Atlanta, so the cold climate thing shouldn't be a big deal,but it's running rich, wanted to know if the heat tubes would help. Another person from florida, said they made a world of difference when set up. There are actually 3 inputs on the intake, the 2 i mentioned earlier, and one on the side, that's where the trans vacume is hooked up, and the wipers. There is nothing on the bottom of the intake to hook to. I'm going to look for smaller jets, she is running rich, guess the two W1's are a little too much, plans for a cam change in spring too.

Jeff

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
2 members (stock49, Twisted6), 403 guests, and 48 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available