Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#24354 07/14/05 12:21 PM
H
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
H
My swap is moving foreward once again, thanks to some help from members on theis board. (Thanks Jerry and Greg 55!).

I've avoided the hassel of using a Jeep bell housing by going with a bell from a Vortec 3500 out of a Colorado, (didn't have to mess with relocating the starter hump. I got this from Todd Kozak.

My harness is back from John Spears Speartech. What a difference! I had him ship all the wiring he cut out so I can show it in the article. The scrap took up 90% of the shipping box! John provided detaled instructions with the harness so it should be a "Plug-N-Play operation.

Working on getting the trans, (NV-4500) set up. Should be another month before final install. (Keep in mind I have to do everything two or three times to get the photo's right).

Haven't heared back from McLoud on my flywheel. However, Jerry is going to help me out here also.

My oil pan is the final problem to overcome. I need a rear sump. So, I'll probaly use a pan made up of the Vortec 3500 & 4200 cut & welded together. Similar to jerry's solution.

This and other web sites have been a real blessing, I probably couldn't have done it without your help!

Thanks!

#24355 07/14/05 01:40 PM
G
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
G
Hey Hemiman,
Out of curiosity. What Jeep bellhousing were you at one time thinking of using? Also, how are you bolting up the NV4500 to the Colorado bell?

Greg

#24356 07/14/05 04:37 PM
H
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
H
The Jeep 4 cyl bell housing has the same bolt pattern (engine side) as the Vortec and other GM engines, (60deg V-6's & 4 cyl, Northstar V-8's).

This dates back to when Jeep used the GM Iron Duke 4 cyl.

The Vortec 3500 uses the NV-3500 trans which shares the same bolt pattern as the AX-5 used on Jeep 4 cyl engine.

Advance Adapters makes a plate to convert Jeeps from AX-5/NV-3500 to an NV-4500. I may have issues with input shaft length on the NV-4500 relative to the depth of the Vortec bell housing. But it's pretty close, so it looks doable.

#24357 07/15/05 12:13 AM
G
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
G
Well Hemiman, I'll just say this with all respect. All of the info you just posted is not correct. Please allow me to do a David Spade imitation from those TV commercials:

Quote:
The Jeep 4 cyl bell housing has the same bolt pattern (engine side) as the Vortec and other GM engines, (60deg V-6's & 4 cyl, Northstar V-8's).
NO! The Vortec 4.2\3.5\2.8 looks similar to the GM 60 degree pattern, but they are NOT the same. None of the holes will line up. I can send you a pic of a 60 degree bell next to a Vortec bell if you like.

Quote:
This dates back to when Jeep used the GM Iron Duke 4 cyl.
NO! The Iron Duke has a Chevy V8 bolt pattern. The AMC\Jeep 2.5 inherited the 60 degree pattern when AMC used GM 2.8L V6's in Cherokee's.

Quote:
The Vortec 3500 uses the NV-3500 trans which shares the same bolt pattern as the AX-5 used on Jeep 4 cyl engine.
NO! The Vortec 3500\2800 both use a transmission called the MA5 which is a derivative of the Isuzu AR5 which is a derivative of the Toyota R150 and Jeep AX15.

Quote:
Advance Adapters makes a plate to convert Jeeps from AX-5/NV-3500 to an NV-4500. I may have issues with input shaft length on the NV-4500 relative to the depth of the Vortec bell housing. But it's pretty close, so it looks doable.
NO! The good news is, you've got the CORRECT 3500\2800 bellhousing to get your project moving so you didn't dump money down the Jeep bellhousing rathole. Anyway, the adapter you need from Advance Adapters is for the Jeep AX15 to NV4500 (NOT AX5). So don't order the wrong item.

[img]http://www.jeeps-offroad.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3219[/img]

http://www.jeeps-offroad.com/showthread.php?t=4740

I hope this is helpful. I'm eager to see your results!

Greg

#24358 07/15/05 08:45 AM
H
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
H
Man, I screwed that one!

Funny thing is, I thought I was quoting your post from Jeeps-offroad,(from memory, my printout of that forum was at home). I got home from work last night and looked at my notes only to realize just about everything I posted was wrong.

Funny thing is, I never made the connection that you are the same guy on both these sites. I'll tell you one thing. The info on that Jeep site is the best I've ever seen when it comes to trannies & bell housings, (the Fiero guys have some good info too).

I also checked my addapter. It is the AX-15 to NV-4500. So once again, thanks for the accurate info. I ordered that back when I first found your post. (Glad I didn't do that from memory).

The only thing I really surprises me is that none of the 60deg bell housing bolt holes would line up. I was advised that, one hole would have to be redrilled, and the starter hump relocated, (this was straight from GM sources).

Now, a few questions on the NV-4500. My truck has a divorced transfer case, (NP-200) I'm looking for the shortest NV-4500 out there. I also need it to be a two wheel drive unit. Right now I've got a rebuildable Chevy 2wd unit.

However, there is a modified, (shortened) trans on E-Bay. Guy says it's for a Toyota Land Cruiser swap. Do you know anything about this modification? Seems the Jeep CJ-5 guys could use a shortened version as well.

Also, using the Vortec 3500 bell with the AX-15 adapter, do you know if the Dodge input shaft would be a direct bolt in,(like on a Jeep), or should I stick with the shorter Chevy input and use an extended pilot?

PS. I'm placing the Jeep site in my favorites as we speak.

Thanks again!

#24359 07/15/05 12:17 PM
H
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
H
hemiman,
i hope you dont mind me asking - what did it cost to have the wiring and compputer straightened out, and did it delete the VATS? you can PM me if you would like. i am considering this swap with automatic trans to a 57 chevy truck but i am waiting to see how yours and jerrys work out.

thanks

#24360 07/15/05 12:30 PM
G
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
G
Well Hemiman, I can't help you much on the NV4500. All I know is from this article about the swap:

http://www.off-road.com/jeep/reviews/yj1-nv45001.htm

Looks like you may have to ask that question on a Jeep forum. However, I should point out that you'll need an input shaft as close to 8" long as you can. That's to work with the Colorado bell and adapter plate together. I found some info here:

http://www.high-impact.net/transmission_and_gear/nv4500.htm

As for the bolt pattern matching the 60 degree GM one... let's put that myth to rest.

On the left, Canyon bell. On the right, 60 degree 2.2L S10 bell. Close, but no cigar...

Greg

#24361 08/13/05 12:51 AM
M
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
M

Brien.
NEW YORK
milnersXcoupe
eagle registry #501
eagle kammback series50
#24362 08/13/05 10:37 AM
H
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
H
Speartech did my harness for $450.00. Did a real nice job.

The first article on my truck is going to be published in the next issue of "Military Vehicles Magazine"

This series of articles features step by step upgrades on a 1953 Dodge M-37. The first covers the simple task of installing locking hubs. Each issue will upgrade the truck further until it's ready for the 4200 Re-power.

I know you folks here would like to get right to the engine, but I had to sequence this in a way that could be reproduced by the reader, & be safe to drive.

Sequence will pretty much go as follows:

Hubs

Master Cylinder

Disc brakes

Radial Tires

Final drive gears

Centered rear-end

Engine and trans install

Engine wiring and fuel system

The editor may chose to double up some of the upgrades, (ie. Master cyl. and disc brakes).

So, please be patient. Were almost there!

#24363 08/15/05 05:55 PM
H
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
H
hemiman,
i have talked with speartech and they say they can do the full harness thing - great! however they say they cannot do the computer thing to get rid of the anti-theft device. how did you get around that?
thanks

#24364 08/15/05 08:10 PM
M
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
M
Dave Kelton (Dr. K.)
Has access to software & may be able to crack the stock ECM. I sent him my VIN and he's working on it now.

256-543-7165

Hey Ray~! Try the above .

Brien.
NEW YORK

Brien.
NEW YORK
milnersXcoupe
eagle registry #501
eagle kammback series50
#24365 08/16/05 03:39 PM
H
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
H
brien,
thanks for the heads up.

#24366 08/17/05 12:49 PM
B
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
B
The Smith Race Craft/ Self Racing Chevy II wagon is in the current HOT ROD as part of their fastest street car article. It ONLY ran in the mid-9's and is "streetable". I have no idea how much money is invested in it, but it is definitely cool.

Inliner #1916
#24367 08/17/05 10:46 PM
M
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
M
I just recieved the ONLY Vortec Twin Turbo 4200 Engine picture ever taken by GM today.

It has never been released to the Press and is a whopping 5.4Mb of Color.

http://tinyurl.com/7uje4

I had the .jpg reduced in MB size > fits the screen perfectly now > nice Screensaver !

Enjoy !

Brien.
NEW YORK
milnersXcoupe
eagle registry #501
eagle kammback series50
#24368 08/20/05 10:46 PM
H
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
H
OK,

The first in my series of articles is out! Military Vehicles Magazine, issue # 111, Pg 42. You'll find one of the coolest trucks on the planet. Soon to be powered by one of the coolest engines.

Like I said, this issue deals with hubs, but stay tuned! The engine is coming up.

Military Vehicles Magazine is also a good source for GM 302, Reo 331, & Continental I-6 engines and parts.

#24369 08/20/05 11:35 PM
M
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
M

Brien.
NEW YORK
milnersXcoupe
eagle registry #501
eagle kammback series50
#24370 08/23/05 09:23 PM
A
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
A
I also have a Vortec 4200 - trying to get it into my 50 Chev Pickup. Right now it is sitting on a stand. I have been toying with getting the Megasquirt, but have found nobody else that has done it (or that wants to divulge) It is a great engine though - \:\)

If it's not broken, Break it
#24371 08/23/05 11:40 PM
M
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
M

Brien.
NEW YORK
milnersXcoupe
eagle registry #501
eagle kammback series50
#24372 08/24/05 01:27 AM
E
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
E
Someone on here adapted a distributor the 4.2 vortec intake camshaft and is running megasquirt.

I'm running megasquirt (MS) on another engine type for 3 years now.

Currently MS doesn't support coil on plug ignition - its on the list to do but not ready yet. A solution to this is either adapt a dist. or install a ford EDIS wasted spark system that IS supported by megasquirt. Just recently MAF is now supported from a 2nd s/w variant, which will make tuning high horsepower engines much easier.

The h/w to support coil on plug is most like 8 to 12 months out before its ready for mass consumption. Once it is ready all the headaches of trying to make the stock ECM work will go away.

I'm currently running MS2 which is the most current module, as of this week its ready for mass consumption. This module has the hardware built in to support CAN bus which will allow multiple MS2 to talk together using 1 as a master and others as slaves. Where this will lead is to electronis trasmission controllers, boost control, and most likely data loggers.

The MS2 is a progression toward the UMS system which when completed will rival or best any of the top aftermarket ecm's out there e.g. electromotive.

51 GMC 4.2 turbo
Can't solved today's problems using the same technology/thinking that created them
#24373 08/24/05 08:22 PM
A
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
A
Great posts... I read the one that did the distributer. I may try to figure that out. Or just wait for an EXM that will work... Maybe the UMS. Ahhh well I really wanted to get rid of the 327. Maybe I'll just use a 250 for a while - if I can find one in florida.

I tried to get a complete engine on Ebay - but shipping was a killer.

Anyone have a 250 around Tampa they want to let loose?

Aaron

#24374 08/24/05 08:26 PM
A
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
A
Typo ECM.

The engine was a great deal - got it with a 460LE, all wiring and the PCM for less than a grand - 2004 with less than 10K on it.

Now when will I be able to use it. \:\)

Aaron

#24375 08/26/05 08:42 AM
H
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
H
MAF for 2006. Answered prayer!

#24376 08/26/05 09:40 AM
M
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
M
Ok - but , MAF for Turbo ?

ehhhh,, tell me why ?

Brien.
NEW YORK
milnersXcoupe
eagle registry #501
eagle kammback series50
#24377 09/10/05 07:59 AM
U
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
U
There is no real reason not to run MAF on a turbo car. The reasons people don't are: 1)intake plumbing gets complicated on multiple turbo setups. 2)most aftermarket ecm's don't support maf setups. 3)You have to keep buying maf's as you increase your power level. Too big a maf doesn't have enough sensitivity at low rpm, and too small is a restriction.
I used to be into 2.3 turbo fords (turbocoupes, SVO mustangs). They were maf. Well, actually they used an air door, but it was basically the same setup. They worked just fine.

Rick A. Cone
Blue Sponge Racing
#24378 09/11/05 03:37 PM
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
MAF is good for modified engines with EFI because it directly measures the airflow, instead of using a lookup table to determine the airflow from absolute pressure in the intake manifold combined with RPM. That system is called speed-density, and works great, without the possible restriction of a MAF airflow sensor. However, it has to be re-tuned every time you chage something because the airflow characteristics change.

#24379 09/11/05 05:34 PM
M
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
M
Vortec 4200 4.2L I-6 (LL8)

2005 Model Year Summary

· Application in 2005 Saab 9-7X
· Improved cam phaser
· Returnless fuel injection
· Improved compression rings
· Improved intake manifold and throttle body gaskets
· Improved ORVR purge valve
· Vented starter solenoid
· Improved throttle mapping
· NVH enhancements
· GF-4 engine oil

FULL DESCRIPTIONS OF NEW OR CHANGED FEATURES

APPLICATION IN SAAB 9-7X
GM Powertrain’s 4.2L inline six-cylinder (RPO LL8) will power Saab’s first sport-utility vehicle, the 2005 Saab 9-7X. LL8’s built for this application are identical to those powering GM’s mid-size SUVs. The Saab 9-7X was designed to be capable of higher lateral and braking g loads and a higher top speed than the typical SUV, potentially creating additional demands on the engine’s lubrication and cooling system. The LL8 was validated for these higher demands with no modifications.

IMPROVED CAM PHASER
The Vortec 4200 is now equipped with a vane-type cam phaser, replacing the helical spline and piston phaser used since the engine’s launch. The vane phaser represents the current state-of-the-art in cam phaser and it delivers several benefits.

The Vortec 4200 was one of the world’s first truck engines with variable valve timing, or cam phasing. The cam phaser changes exhaust cam lobe timing relative to the cam-drive sprocket, which in turn varies exhaust valve timing on the fly, maximizing engine performance for given demands and conditions. At idle, for example, the exhaust cam is at the full advanced position for minimum intake-valve overlap. That allows exceptionally smooth idling. Under other operating demands, the phaser adjusts to deliver optimal exhaust-valve timing for performance, drivability and fuel economy. The result is linear delivery of torque, with near-peak levels over a broad rpm range, and high specific output (horsepower per liter of displacement) without sacrificing overall engine response, or drivability. Because it manages valve overlap at optimum levels, cam phasing also eliminates the need for an Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) system.

As it was with the spline-piston phaser, the new vane phaser is actuated by hydraulic pressure from engine oil, and managed by a solenoid that is set to a specified duty-cycle and controls oil pressure on the phaser. Yet the operating mechanism is different. Instead of helical spline and piston, the vane phaser uses a wheel with four vanes (like a propeller) to turn the camshaft relative to the cam-sprocket. The solenoid directs oil to pressure points on either side of the four vanes; the vanes, and camshaft, turn in the direction of the oil flow. The more pressure, the more the phaser and camshaft turn. Like the previous phaser, the vane phaser turns the Vortec 4200’s camshaft a maximum 24 degrees relative to the sprocket.

The vane phaser is a much simpler device than the spline-piston phaser, with fewer parts. The vane wheel is made of extruded aluminum; it requires less machining and it’s less expensive to manufacture. Moreover, the vane phaser is more robust. It’s validated to ten years or 150,000 miles of operation. It is less sensitive to disruption from excessive debris in the oil.

Most important, the vane phaser performs more quickly and efficiently than the spline-piston phaser. Because it generates less friction, in turns the camshaft faster—in some conditions, as when the engine is warm and operating at low rpm, nearly four times faster. This improved response time will be transparent to the driver, but it improves the Vortec 4200’s overall efficiency and reduces compromises when balancing performance, drivability, fuel efficiency and emissions reduction. More precise control gives engineers more options in calibrating the cam phaser to maximize its benefits.

RETURNLESS FUEL INJECTION
All Vortec 4200s are equipped with a new "returnless" fuel injection system that eliminates fuel return lines between the engine and the gasoline tank. The new fuel system is also known as a demand system.

Before model year 2005, the Vortec 4200’s Sequential Fuel Injection (SFI) used a return line to manage fuel pressure by bleeding off excess fuel at the fuel rail and returning the excess to the fuel tank. The new system eliminates the return lines and moves the fuel-pressure regulator from the fuel rail on the engine to the fuel tank. But because the returnless system delivers only the amount of fuel needed by the injectors, and returns no fuel to the fuel tank, it eliminates heat transfer from the engine to the fuel tank. This reduces the amount of vapor generated in the tank, and captured by the evaporative emissions control system, or Onboard Refueling Vapor Recovery (ORVR).

In concert with improved intake manifold and throttle body gaskets (below), returnless fuel injection allows the Vortec 4200 to meet near-zero evaporative emissions standards mandated by the Environmental Protection Agency and California Air Resources Board for implementation in 2007.

IMPROVED COMPRESSION RINGS
The Vortec 4200's second piston ring has been redesigned. This new, improved Napier-type compression ring increases in thickness from 1.2 to 1.5 mm, and it has a step in its edge. The new compression ring is more durable and ensures consistent performance over the engine's life. It also improves oil consumption at higher mileage.

IMPROVED INTAKE MANIFOLD AND THROTTLE BODY GASKETS
The Vortec 4200 has new intake manifold sealing gaskets manufactured from a fluorocarbon material.. They are common with those used on the Vortec 3500 and Vortec 2800 inline engine, increasing assembly plant efficiency.

IMPROVED ORVR PURGE VALVE
Improvements to the Vortec 4200’s evaporative emissions system (ORVR) include a new purge valve. The purge valve empties the collection canister into the engine’s intake stream. The new valve also operates more quietly.

VENTED STARTER SOLENOID
The Vortec 4200 is fitted with a new vented starter solenoid. The solenoid case has a micromesh-covered vent that protects the solenoid from debris particles but prevents moisture buildup. When the engine is warm, any moisture on the solenoid evaporates through the vent.

IMPROVED THROTTLE MAPPING
The Vortec 4200’s Electronic Throttle Control (ETC) system is programmed with a new throttle progression intended to deliver more immediate engine response at part throttle.

The Vortec 4200 was one of the first truck engines with electronic “drive-by-wire” throttle. There is no mechanical link between the accelerator pedal and the throttle. A potentiometer at the pedal measures pedal angle and sends a signal to the Powertrain Control Module (PCM); the PCM – via the Throttle Actuator Control (TAC) module – then directs an electric motor to open the throttle at the appropriate rate and angle. Besides the accelerator pedal’s angle, the PCM measures other data, including the transmission’s shift patterns and traction at the drive wheels, in determining how far to open the throttle.

The refinements in the throttle mapping focus on part-throttle application. At full throttle the Vortec 4200’s performance does not change. Yet at part throttle, the response is more immediate to the driver. With a 25-percent application of the gas pedal, for example, the throttle might open 10 percent farther than it did with the previous map, and the vehicle will accelerate more quickly.

NVH ENHANCEMENTS
The Vortec 4200 gets several subtle improvements that make one of the smoothest, quietest six-cylinder truck engines in production even quieter. These include a new, denser insulating pad on the engine side of the dashboard and thicker downpipe that reduces the transmission of exhaust noise. The stainless steel down pipe connects the exhaust manifold with the catalytic converter.

GF-4 ENGINE OIL
All Vortec 4200s will be shipped to the customers with new engine oil that reduces engine deposits, extends oil change intervals, improves fuel economy and improves the life of emissions control systems. GM Powertrain has taken a leading role in developing and introducing the new oil, designated GF-4 (for “Gasoline Fueled, Standard 4’’) by the American Petroleum Institute.

This new oil improves fuel economy by lowering engine friction. It uses an ash-free anti-oxidant that prolongs the life of the emissions control system and it also resists oil breakdown caused by high-temperature oxidation. 5W30 oil is recommended for low friction and good cold-weather starts.

OVERVIEW
Start with a fundamentally sound design philosophy; add the best technology available, exclusive durability-enhancing features and a segment-leading balance of performance and efficiency. Then start re-examining everything immediately after a successful launch.

Rave reviews in virtually every automotive media outlet, and awards, including three consecutive appearances on Ward's Auto World's 10 Best Engines list and a key role in earning the GMC Envoy Motor Trend ‘s 2002 SUV of the Year.

The Vortec 4200 4.2L I6 (LL8) was introduced in the 2002 GM mid-size SUVs, including the Chevrolet Trailblazer and GMC Envoy, and was the first inline six-cylinder engine in GM Powertrain’s lineup in nearly 20 years. While the industry largely had turned away from the inline six, GM recognized that, given careful design and development, the inherent advantages of inline six-cylinder architecture were perfect for the new millennium. Yet with the technical sophistication of premium passenger car engines and the power of competitors’ V8s, the Vortec 4200 is no ordinary line six. Its flexible architecture builds the foundation for a range of inline engines, maximizing the return on corporate investment while exceeding customers’ performance expectations.

An exceptionally light, rigid engine block and cylinder head combination, cast with the GM's patented lost foam process, provide the foundation for the Vortec 4200’s success. All-aluminum construction means less weight than conventional cast-iron truck engines, and less weight means improved fuel economy. The bottom end of the engine derives strength through many features, starting with a bearing beam, or ladder, that connects the seven main bearing caps to further stiffen the engine’s structure. The oil pan bolts to the transmission bell housing as well as the engine block, eliminating points of vibration and making the complete engine more like a single casting. The oil pan also gives “pan-axle” all-wheel-drive capability to trucks equipped with the Vortec 4200. A passage cast through the width of the oil pan allows a drive axle to pass through it rather than under it, allowing the engine to be placed lower in the vehicle for a more compact package that improves the vehicle’s handling dynamics and gives designers greater styling flexibility.

The Vortec 4200's feature list reads like those for premium luxury/performance car engines: dual-overhead cam cylinder head, four valves per cylinder, roller-follower valve actuation and exhaust-cam phasing; a 10:1 compression ratio that delivers the seemingly incompatible benefits of high compression and regular-grade fuel; Electronic Throttle Control (ETC); direct accessory mounting.

Moreover, the Vortec 4200 development team hasn’t rested on its laurels. During the three years since the engine’s launch, virtually every system and technology, from emissions control to engine management to sealing, has been examined and refined. In 2003, the Vortec 4200 was fitted with polymer coated pistons that reduce engine noise and enhance durability. The oil-pump was refined to limit noise; and the cam-chain tensioner was improved for quieter operation. For model year 2004, the Vortec 4200 was introduced in the all-new Buick Rainier and Isuzu Ascender. For ’05 it powers Saab’s first sport-utility vehicle.

Vehicle platform teams recognize the Vortec 4200’s strengths, yet its design advantages and premium features mean little if the finished product doesn’t deliver what customers demand. Customers demand low maintenance, and with Vortec 4200, oil changes are the only scheduled maintenance during the first 100,000 miles of operation, and even those are as stress-free as possible. GM’s Oil Life System (GMOLS) advises an oil change when it’s actually needed, based on real-world vehicle operation, rather than a predetermined mileage interval. The oil filter is easily accessible from underneath Vortec 4200-equipped vehicles and is mounted pointing straight down, reducing the potential for spilling oil during removal.

Most of all, customers demand performance, and the Vortec 4200 delivers more peak horsepower and comparable torque (275 hp, 275 lb-ft) to competitors’ larger-displacement V-8s and

Brien.
NEW YORK
milnersXcoupe
eagle registry #501
eagle kammback series50
#24380 09/11/05 05:55 PM
M
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
M
VORTEC 4200 4.2L I-6 (LL8)
2006 model year summary
• Increased horsepower and torque outputs
• Higher 10.3:1 compression ratio
• Improved air flow
• Mass air flow sensor
• Improved A.I.R. system
• Improved ignition coils
• Piston rod squirters
Full descriptions of new or changed features
Increased horsepower and torque
The Vortec 4200, already noted for providing peak power and torque emulating that of
competitors’ larger-displacement V-8s, delivers 16 more horsepower for 2006. Its new
rating is 291 hp and 277 lb.-ft. of torque. The power increase resulted from a higher
compression ratio and improved engine breathing. GM Powertrain’s participation in the
new SAE test certification procedure provides more accurate readings of in-vehicle
performance by using more exact measures of exhaust backpressure and also
accounting for loads put on the engine by the accessory drive.
Increased compression ratio
The Vortec 4200’s compression ratio increased to 10.3:1 as a result of changes to its
piston profile, which lowered the volume in the combustion chamber. Even with its higher
compression ratio, the engine continues to maximize fuel economy by allowing
customers to use regular or unleaded fuel.
Improved air flow
Improved performance also results from increased airflow into and through the engine. A
larger (38.7 mm) intake valve and larger (33.5 mm) exhaust valve allow more air to flow through, and the camshaft also provides more lift to allow the valves to stay open longer.
Mass air flow sensor
A mass air flow system helps reduce emissions, allowing the Vortec 4200 to meet
California LEV II emissions requirements while also improving its fuel economy.
The mass air flow (MAF) sensor (replacing a previous speed density fuel control system)
more accurately measures air flow into the engine, eliminating variability in a number of
conditions including changes in altitude and temperature, and allows more precise fuel
and spark response.
The MAF is lightweight and has a modular design, using an integrated intake air
temperature sensor. The electronics, located in the center of the sensor’s flow tube, are
air cooled by the intake air. The output calibration is precisely programmed into the
module.
A.I.R. system
The Air Injection Reaction (A.I.R) System, which pumps air into the port of each cylinder
head, has also been upgraded to assist in reducing emissions. During the casting
process, the A.I.R. port is now cast right into the cylinder head for improved air flow.
Ignition coils
The ignition system uses more compact coils, which also provide better reliability/
durability and make better use of its energy. Their more compact size saves an entire
coil’s worth of weight. Enhanced durability has been proven from the coils’ use in other
Gen III engines.
Piston rod oil squirters
The piston, inside the cylinder bore of the engine block, transfers energy through the
connecting rod to the crankshaft. For improved durability and quietness the piston rod is
now drilled with a tiny (less than 1/8th mm) hole, which allows oil to be sprayed on the
cylinder wall, providing a cushioning layer on the sides of the piston which rides on the
film of oil.
The oil is originally pumped into the crankshaft, whose journals have cross-drilled holes.
As the crankshaft rotates, pumping oil through the journals, the oil is fed from the
journals through the piston rod bearing into the piston rod itself. Its open orifice then
allows the oil to be sprayed into the cylinder wall.
Overview
The award-winning Vortec 4200 4.2L I6 (LL8), which won rave reviews in virtually every
automotive media outlet when introduced in 2002 and awards, including three
consecutive appearances on Ward's Auto World's 10 Best Engines list, has continually
been refined to optimize value and performance.
During the five years since the engine’s launch, virtually every system and technology,
from emissions control to engine management to sealing, has been examined and
refined. In 2003, the Vortec 4200 was fitted with polymer-coated pistons that reduce
engine noise and enhance durability. The oil pump was refined to limit noise; and the
cam-chain tensioner was improved for quieter operation. For model year 2004, the
Vortec 4200 was introduced in the all-new Buick Rainier and Isuzu Ascender. In ’05 its
variable valve timing, or cam phasing, system was equipped with a new state-of-the-art
vane phaser. Along with previous GM midsize SUVs, ’05 also saw the Vortec 4200
introduced in the Saab’s first 9-7X SUV.
The Vortec 4200 originally debuted as the first inline six-cylinder engine in GM
Powertrain’s lineup in nearly 20 years. While the industry largely had turned away from
the inline six, GM recognized that, given careful design and development, the inherent
advantages of inline six-cylinder architecture were perfect for the new millennium. With
the technical sophistication of premium passenger car engines and the power of
competitors’ V-8s, the Vortec 4200 is no ordinary inline six. Its flexible architecture
provides the foundation for a range of inline engines, maximizing the return on corporate
investment while exceeding customers’ performance expectations.
An exceptionally light, rigid engine block and cylinder head combination, cast with the
GM's patented lost foam process, provide the foundation for the Vortec 4200’s success.
All-aluminum construction means less weight than conventional cast-iron truck engines,
and less weight means improved fuel economy. The bottom end of the engine derives strength through many features, starting with a bearing beam, or ladder, that connects
the seven main bearing caps to further stiffen the engine’s structure. The oil pan bolts to
the transmission bell housing as well as the engine block, eliminating points of vibration
and making the complete engine more like a single casting. The oil pan also gives “panaxle”
all-wheel drive capability to trucks equipped with the Vortec 4200. A passage cast
through the width of the oil pan allows a drive axle to pass through it rather than under it,
allowing the engine to be placed lower in the vehicle for a more compact package that
improves the vehicle’s handling dynamics and gives designers greater styling flexibility.
The Vortec 4200's feature list reads like those for premium luxury/performance car
engines: dual-overhead cam cylinder head, four valves per cylinder, roller-follower valve
actuation and exhaust-cam phasing; a 10.3:1 compression ratio that delivers the
seemingly incompatible benefits of high compression and regular-grade fuel; Electronic
Throttle Control (ETC); and direct accessory mounting.
Vehicle platform teams recognize the Vortec 4200’s strengths, yet its design advantages
and premium features mean little if the finished product doesn’t deliver what customers
demand, like low maintenance. With Vortec 4200, oil changes are the only scheduled
maintenance during the first 100,000 miles of operation, and even those are as stressfree
as possible. GM’s Oil Life System (GMOLS) advises an oil change when it’s actually
needed, based on real-world vehicle operation, rather than a predetermined mileage
interval. The oil filter is easily accessible from underneath Vortec 4200-equipped
vehicles and is mounted pointing straight down, reducing the potential for spilling oil
during removal.
Most of all, customers demand performance and economy. Along with delivering even
more peak horsepower and torque comparable to competitors’ larger-displacement V-8s,
the Vortec 4200 also has higher EPA mileage ratings (based on published figures
available in March 2005).
The Vortec 4200 is produced in Flint, Michigan.

Brien.
NEW YORK
milnersXcoupe
eagle registry #501
eagle kammback series50
#24381 09/16/05 05:17 PM
A
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
A
I don't think there is any question the 4.2 is a great motor. The problem as stated at the beginning of this string is how to get it to run. Hemiman seens to have found out a way but we have to wait until the magazine comes out. I have a problem with that in that I am in Canada and the magazine is'nt available here. Oh well,patience.............

#24382 09/18/05 07:22 PM
T
Newcomer
Newcomer
T
There is a Nova wagon using the Atlas 4200 that pushes 950hp @ 15 psi (80mm turbo). It runs low 9's - high 8's. The engine is controlled using BigStuff3.

#24383 09/18/05 08:06 PM
M
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
M

Brien.
NEW YORK
milnersXcoupe
eagle registry #501
eagle kammback series50
#24384 09/30/05 02:39 PM
A
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
A
Atlas is what GM calls the family of engines which includes the 4200 as used in Trailblazers and the 4 and 5 cylinder versions used in the Colorado/Canyon twins.

#24385 09/30/05 11:21 PM
M
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
M

Brien.
NEW YORK
milnersXcoupe
eagle registry #501
eagle kammback series50
#24386 10/11/05 07:07 PM
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
Any updates? I'm really interested in this swap... Any feedback is welcome & hoped for!

How about a source list?

JEFF
68 Firebird 4.2 Trailblazer engine
#24387 10/12/05 04:01 AM
T
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
T
What is the bore center spacing of the 4200? Is this dimension similar to any other GM motor(other than the 3.5 or the 2.8) ?

#24388 10/12/05 05:38 PM
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
103mm according to the GM tech paper. Sounds a bit shorter than most Gen I, II and III engines.

JEFF
#24389 10/14/05 10:07 PM
L
LHP Offline
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
L
 Quote:
Originally posted by Greg55_99:
Well Hemiman, I can't help you much on the NV4500. All I know is from this article about the swap:

http://www.off-road.com/jeep/reviews/yj1-nv45001.htm

Looks like you may have to ask that question on a Jeep forum. However, I should point out that you'll need an input shaft as close to 8" long as you can. That's to work with the Colorado bell and adapter plate together. I found some info here:

http://www.high-impact.net/transmission_and_gear/nv4500.htm

As for the bolt pattern matching the 60 degree GM one... let's put that myth to rest.

On the left, Canyon bell. On the right, 60 degree 2.2L S10 bell. Close, but no cigar...

Greg

I called all over north america looking for a bellhousing for the 4200 so as to bolt up a manual trans to the engine,(no luck) any one on the forum have one for sale from the 4 or 5 cylinder engines please email me.

#24390 10/15/05 02:01 AM
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
LHP-
I'm attempting to communicate with a Powertrain guy right now on the same subject; My biggest concern is how 'adaptable' the 2.8/3.5 bell will be. I'd like to hang a 5spd (TKO) or 6 spd (T56). Maybe I'll have to see what else shares the same pattern as the MA5 (the 'new' Aisin 5spd used in the Solstice and I believe the Colorado and Canyons).

The search continues.

For anyone interested in this, Westers Garage says he can reflash the 2002-2003 PCMs, and should be able to do the 2004+ soon.

JEFF
#24391 10/18/05 02:24 PM
A
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
A
westers garage can flash program the computer to give you better milage, remove rev limiter better performance etc, but he still is not doing the ecm to run stand alone. I talked to him this morning and he said he hopes to be able to offer a stand alone system by the end of the year. This would allow rodders to do an engine swap.The big problem seems to be the passlock system controls the injectors. Solve this problem and we may be off and running.

#24392 10/18/05 11:00 PM
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
Agreed- he can't yet make them stand alone, but there are a few people who have worked around it. I'm going to run a Gen VII DFI on mine. I'm going to take a crack at controlling the exhaust cam with the DFI's VTEC controller- we'll see.

JEFF
#24393 10/19/05 11:23 AM
A
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
A
We have a company here that tells me their ecm will run the engine, no problem. Pricy but no problem. The reason I want to go with the stock GM ecm is the car will be my wifes daily summer driver and I want reliability above all. I do not want to take the car on the road and have a computer problem I can't fix and neither can anyone else that dosen't have a laptop with whatever program is needed to check out the aftermarket ecm. Have you looked carefully at the 4.2? What do you plan to put it in?

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  efi-diy, stock49 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 322 guests, and 33 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available