Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
P
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
P
How about a huffed 165hp OMC boat motor in a 1981 Chevy El Camino....on Propane. Nah... no one would want to see that...

But if you are sick like me you might just want to know anyway. :-)
www.geocities.com/grand_admrl_thrawn

Major Contributor
Major Contributor
Nice install. Good to be different. Just curious, any trouble mounting the motor and trans in that body style of car? Which trans did you use? I was going to install a 250/700R4 in our '81 Malibu Wagon but thought I would have trouble with lengths on the rad. Yours looks like it went in pretty easy. Guess I shouldn't have listenend to the family but gone ahead and done it. Make a real nice daily driver.

Ontario Inliners
1965 Chevelle
1940 Chev
1965 Chev Pick-up
1970 MGB Roadster

P
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
P
 Quote:
Originally posted by GMDad:
any trouble mounting the motor and trans in that body style of car?

Trans bolts right up.. found a 1975 1/2 ton in a salvage yard with all the brackets and motor mounts, HEI distributor... the fit is a little tight between the hood and the front of the motor.

Which trans did you use?
I am using the stock th350

Guess I shouldn't have listenend to the family but gone ahead and done it.
I had my temperture taken several times during the build. So I know how that goes.... just remember they said it couldn't be done...

J
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
J
Dear Phule;

I think you did a great job and should be proud as hell!

Those W/O vision are blind to the truth.

I've often thought about using Propane for a Hot Rod. Now that I know it 'can be done', perhaps I'll do something about it.

Thanks for the info.

John M., #3370...

John M., I.I. #3370

"There are no shortcuts to any place worth going". -Anon
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
cool install. how is the turbo attached to the motor? are you using a boat, car manifold or a custom header. tom

Inliner Member 1716
65 Chevelle Wagon and 41 Hudson Pickup
Information and parts www.12bolt.com

R
Contributor
Contributor
R
don't know how anyone could refer to neat work like that as ugly!

inliner # 3850
P
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
P
Thanks for the nice words... should anyone need ot know about a lpg conversion, let me know. I have extensively researched the subject.
The exhaust is run through a stock automotive manifold then into a "U" made of stainless "milker-pipe"....Freebie :-)
As to the cosmetics of it all, I am not going to delude myself about any awards with this one, but it's good enough for a driver.

T
Contributor
Contributor
T
ive got a couple of questions for you?
would you reccomend that size mixer if i were going to use a 250 with a larger cam and high boost, 15lbs+, or should i go with the Impco 425(the reason i ask is because i already have a 425 from a previous car)?
also, what size tank do you use and what kind of distance are you going before a refill?
where did you get your tank?
finally, was there any special tuning you had to do with it being blow-thru?
thank you.

P
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
P
A 425 would be fine.... it actually flows 460-500 cfm naturally aspirated. I used the CA100 on recommendation from an expert. also I didn't have to build a carb box. :-) Remember that turboed cars don't like a whole bunch of overlap in the cam. From what I've been told, a cam doesn't make as much difference on forced-induction car as it would N/A. Same with headwork. I am running the "stock" cam in my El Camino, but that was already an RV cam on account of it was a boat motor.
Tank size is 42.5 gallons effective size, I "liberated" that from a truck I already had.
As far as tuning goes, so far I just adjusted the idle, then set the power all the way rich, the started backing it down lean. I still have some work to do with the timing. It's a little slow of the bottom, I want to see if I can get some more go off the line.

T
Contributor
Contributor
T
thank you for your help..you mentioned not having a carb box, is that something i would have to use if i were to use the 425? also, would a propane setup work well in a draw thru setup or would having a gas flow through the turbo be a bad idea?

P
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
P
I don't think you would, I was reffering to constructing the ductwork into the carb....a carb hat. At 15 psi I don't think you would want to draw-thru, too much temp increase, but at 7-8 psi it can be done, I have seen several setups like that.
The regulator ("E" impco) I am using is rated for 360 hp, so if you need more than that you are goning to have to double them up.

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 368 guests, and 43 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
castironphil, uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony
6,785 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available