Print Thread
Rate Thread
C
Cabbie Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
C
I want to improve my 235 ingnition system. I have a chance to buy a used duel point mallory for $175. Now I am looking at a pertronix point eliminator. I can get pertronix for half as much and it claims to be 4x as much power to the coil as points. I dont know how much a HEI system would be, but I think the most bang for the buck is to run the pertronix, and a high performance coil. Another andvantage of the piont eliminator, if I am stuck on the side of the road, a set of points will go right back in with no mods. I have read the old posts about HEI vs Duel Points, but I want to throw the Points eliminators in to the mix.

What do you guys think?

G
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
G
pertronix is HEI.

I prefer the factory HEI because its cheaper and easier to replace than a pertronix unit, should it fail. But I haven't heard of any real problems with using the pertronix setup.

Appearance is another issue...

I.I. #3174
P
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
P
I bought a "mini" HEI for my 235 from Tom Langdon over at Stovebolt. The mini HEI has about the same dimensions as the stock unit. Here is the address:

http://www.stoveboltengineco.com/acartpro/product.asp?productid=123

The whole thing installed in about 15 minutes, fired right up, and runs 1000% better than the points did. THe best thing is that the mini is based on a Chevy S-10 distributor and parts can be found anywhere.

A few years ago, I installed a Pertronix on a Jeep that I had. I liked it, but I think that I would stick with the mini HEI

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
i would also recomend the hei. tom

Inliner Member 1716
65 Chevelle Wagon and 41 Hudson Pickup
Information and parts www.12bolt.com

C
Cabbie Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
C
Would the Mini HEI hookup to a high performance coil?

J
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
J
Dear Dan;

The Mallory (dual point) is a good unit but the benifits are mostly above 4,000 RPM for 'Hot Rod' type engines of the 50s.

An HEI provides 40kv from cranking speed all the way up, which is why their so popular.

Not my "cup of tea" but many swear buy them.

Just 'eliminating' the points won't get you anything, so save your money.

Good luck. \:\)

John M., I.I. #3370

"There are no shortcuts to any place worth going". -Anon
P
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
P
As for the high performance coil; what is your application? I would say that unless you are racing, what is the point of a hi/po coil? The coil that comes with the mini HEI (I opted for the optional remote round coil)puts out 40K volts, and should be good for all applications other than racing.

In the end, I have gone all three ways; points, Pertronix, and HEI. I prefer the HEI.

C
Cabbie Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
C
I have a pretty pepped up 235. I just am looking to get the most out of what I have. I think I am going to get the mini HEI. I am also going to go with the optional round coil. In the picture it shows a different style clamp to hold in the dist. Does it come with that clamp?

C
Cabbie Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
C
I have a patricks f294 cam, in a 54 block. According to stovebolt site I would need to get a steel gear. Is that true? What gear does it come with?

J
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
J
Dear Dan;

Ask Patrick's if the steel gear is needed, as he would know if It's a steel cam or not.

I don't know what Tom sells, but they may come with a cast iron gear. Most do, because most cams are iron.

Mallory sells a bronze gear for that as well.

Good luck. \:\)

John M., I.I. #3370

"There are no shortcuts to any place worth going". -Anon
P
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
P
My mini HEI from Langdons came exactly as pictured for my 1962 235 and has an iron gear. I would recommend Tom Langdon to anyone. He has been around these things for a long time, and when you call his number, you actually talk to Tom.

The main reason I went with the mini HEI is so I did not have to adjust points, and the HEI parts are available prety much anywhere.

E
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
E
"Just 'eliminating' the points won't get you anything, so save your money."

Not quite true, a point eliminator kit (pertronix etc.) will eliminate the perioical need to replace the points and most of the conversion kits do switch the primary side of the coil off faster than points resulting in a faster and slighty high coil output.

If anyone is curious grab an electronics textbook and look up inductance and di/dt.

51 GMC 4.2 turbo
Can't solved today's problems using the same technology/thinking that created them

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 358 guests, and 49 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SSG Pohlman, castironphil, uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101
6,786 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available