Print Thread
Rate Thread
#27330 11/13/06 03:45 PM
O
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
O
Hi all! I'm new to this particular forum and am searching for info and results for possibly adding fuel injection to the 261 stroker I'm building.
First of all, I'm not an auto mechanic by trade. For me, it's not what I know, but who I know. I have moderate skills, but I rely on help and info from those who really know. My neighbor is a master mechanic and highly skilled motor builder. He is helping me build my motor. I also have a cousin who lives nearby that can fabricate or build ANYTHING. He is the one who just got me going on this as he just converted one of his old MG's to F.I. using salvaged parts and the Megasquirt system. He thinks I can do the same (cheaply) by using equipment from a 4.3 V-6. I was planning on using an Edelbrock 2X1 on 2 NOS Rochesters I've been saving.
So...has anyone done this? I've done a search on this topic but couldn't find anything definative or anything I could really understand. Any info in simple terms will be greatly appreciated.

62 Chevy C-10 Fleetside LB 235 4spd w/O.D.
J
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
J
Dear Bert;

The 'Cadillac' 261 is a high torque low RPM engine (5000 or less) which it gets from It's longer stroke etc.

Not being a mechanic, you should stick with your plan for the 2 Rochesters etc.

When this guy in Canada gets his EFI system going; then things could change.

Good luck. \:\)

John M., I.I. #3370

"There are no shortcuts to any place worth going". -Anon
O
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
O
John, thanks for your input. Most likely I will stick to my original plan. However, I still would like to gain a more complete understanding on what is involved. My cousin sez it's easy.(at least, for him) He has also volunteered to build an intake or modify one of mine. Others have said it's less complicated than running carbs once it's complete. I think it would be cool to have something unique and different. So keep it coming. Thanks again.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
old bert, efi has been standard on almost every car on the road for 20 years. the only reason that you should not, is because you do not have the gumpsion to do it. your car will start better, behave better ect. it will take tuning on your part to make it perfect, same as a carb. many parts can be had at the yards for cheap. have your friend help you. tom

Inliner Member 1716
65 Chevelle Wagon and 41 Hudson Pickup
Information and parts www.12bolt.com

J
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
J
That's simply not the case.

It is offered/used on many of the 'newer autos' but most cars/trucks in use today, still use carbs.

Holly and Clifford that MFG 'aftermarket systems' charge a bundle for them and it takes special training/experience to 'really' get the benefits. The 'newer vehicles' require special test equipment, which only the dealer has the money for/acess to.

Those with the experience love them because; they are simpler in many ways and produce higher power or better mileage/less polution when working properly etc. \:\)

For the novice or those on a 'low budget' carbs are still, the best/cheapest way to go.

Mr. Lowe owns/operates a 400+/- horsepower 300 CID engine, which is something very few can do with success. With his many years of doing this it seems simple and for HIM, it is.

John M., I.I. #3370

O
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
O
Hey Tom, Thanks for the encouragement. I'm actually a bit paranoid to go this route or even dual carbs and here's why. Right now, I'm running the original, stock, single bbl rochester B. It has never been rebuilt and has 58k original miles. It starts faster and easier than any other car I've ever owned. And all 15 or 20 of those with the exception of 1 - were fuel injected and relatively new. The carb only leaked when I installed it without the insulator gaskets and while working on the linkage after installing dual exhaust. Even after sitting in the garage for a couple of weeks, I can pull the choke, pump the pedal once, turn the key and the truck starts. Pretty much instantly without cranking the starter. It's one of the things I LOVE about my truck. After being skeptical for years, I recently installed HEI and did see some noticable improvement in low idle quality and throttle response. It also runs better cold, which is only a factor for a couple of minutes. I heat my intake with water. But starting is still the same - I don't think I can improve that! The benfits I'm looking for is simply the cool and different factor. Better gas mileage would be a plus.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
thanks john, i have seen the older easy to use holley 2 bbl projections go relatively cheap at times on ebay. the older ones use a standalone cpu system that is programed with i believe 2 potentiometers. very easy to hook up. on a side note, john, i cannot think of any modern cars (last 15-20 years) that used a carb. tom

Inliner Member 1716
65 Chevelle Wagon and 41 Hudson Pickup
Information and parts www.12bolt.com

E
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
E
 Quote:
Originally posted by Old Bert:
He is the one who just got me going on this as he just converted one of his old MG's to F.I. using salvaged parts and the Megasquirt system. He thinks I can do the same (cheaply) by using equipment from a 4.3 V-6. I
Bert,

Your master mechanic buddy has got it right, the 4.3 TBI part are real easy to come by and the megasquirt system is a good system particularly that he has already got on running so good help is near by. All the EFI parts can be had at the wreckers less the megasquirt box locally for $100 including the wiring harness.

Marc

51 GMC 4.2 turbo
Can't solved today's problems using the same technology/thinking that created them
J
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
J
Bert;

Well; For a $100 you can't go wrong, so give it a try & let us know how well you get it to work.

You can always ask (Tom & Marc)for help to make it happen.

Happy trails. \:\)

John M., I.I. #3370

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 533 guests, and 35 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
castironphil, uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony
6,785 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available