#27829 01/01/07 11:48 PM
E
efi-diy Offline OP
1000 Post Club
OP Offline
1000 Post Club
E
Folks,

I'm investigating various ignition options for the vortec 4200 and so far it appears that the ford EDIS-6 system is most likely going to be the easiest to install. Megasquirt supports EDIS already so its mainly a mechanical fabrication issue.

I'll post progress as I get parts ready to be made.

51 GMC 4.2 turbo
Can't solved today's problems using the same technology/thinking that created them
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
Why not just have Wait4me tune your PCM? he can get rid of all the TB-specific crap, so you can drop it in.

JEFF
68 Firebird 4.2 Trailblazer engine
G
GH Offline
Contributor
Contributor
G
efi-diy, I'm going to use the EDIS off of a Ford also on a 302 GMC using Megasquirt. Going to buy an ATI Super damper and attach the EDIS wheel on the damper. Supposed to be the hot setup?? Cya

E
efi-diy Offline OP
1000 Post Club
OP Offline
1000 Post Club
E
I have the bracket and timing wheel drawings to mount the EDIS crank trigger system onto the Vortec almost completed and ready to go to the nachine shop.

If anyone else is interested we could do a mini-group buy to help with the set up charges.

I can email pdf's of the setup to anyone thats interested.

51 GMC 4.2 turbo
Can't solved today's problems using the same technology/thinking that created them
M
Newcomer
Newcomer
M
I would be interested in this information. Also, a while back you were looking for others interested in altered oil pans. Are you still collecting names for that?

E
efi-diy Offline OP
1000 Post Club
OP Offline
1000 Post Club
E
 Quote:
Originally posted by markitect:
I would be interested in this information. Also, a while back you were looking for others interested in altered oil pans. Are you still collecting names for that?
OK As soon as I can get my other computer running and recover the files I'll post a message.. **** hackers.

If we could get 5 or 10 people who need an oil pan then it will be easier to swallow. Yes I'm taking names.

51 GMC 4.2 turbo
S
Contributor
Contributor
S
Sorry about the question, but I've never seen a 4200 Vortec engine. What is the problem with it? Isn't similar to the FORD EDIS system?

250 and 261
H
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
H
Hi EFI-DIY,

I am also planning on building a 4200 for my '53 truck. I have a low mile 02 motor coming from a friend soon. At what stage are you on your ignition and injection. have you made your brackets/mounts for your EDIS system? I would interested in seeing your design and possably going in with you with your machine shop if its reasonable. I do most of my own machining but if you already have one made and they can just duplicate, no sense in re-inventing the wheel right? I plan on turbocharging as well, but not at this stage. I think I will pull the head to do a little porting and cleanup, maybe open the chambers up a bit to lower the CR. Feel free to email me.

Hans

E
efi-diy Offline OP
1000 Post Club
OP Offline
1000 Post Club
E
Huffin53,

The drawings are done and at the machine shop.... speaking of which I need to call and find out if the parts are anywhere near ready. If not I could add to the qty. if you want to split the cost of the machining. Last I talked to them he was getting ready to do the cnc programming.

Let me know.

Marc

51 GMC 4.2 turbo
S
Contributor
Contributor
S
Sorry for asking this, but the edis cannot be fixed in those 2 1/2" holes in the spark plugs side? It'd be easier, fast and still be next to the Sparks.

250 and 261
C
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
C
Why don't you use an Electromitve System? I'm sure they have something that would work w/ very little modifications.

http://www.directignition.com/index.html

Ken

Ken Carlson
Owner/Machinist
www.CustomDesignPerformance.com
E
efi-diy Offline OP
1000 Post Club
OP Offline
1000 Post Club
E
 Quote:
Originally posted by CDPKen:
Why don't you use an Electromitve System? I'm sure they have something that would work w/ very little modifications.

http://www.directignition.com/index.html

Ken
Ken,

Yes this will work, just cost more $. I can get a complete EDIS-6 system from the local u-pull it wreckers for $30. If I ever need parts I can goto any parts store and get them.

Its very unlikely that the machined parts would ever fail.

51 GMC 4.2 turbo
H
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
H
efi-diy,
Hans

H
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
H
hmmm, dissapearing text...again, If you have a chance to email me the specifics on you design I would love to go over the details with you.
sales@rodncycle.com thanks, hans

E
efi-diy Offline OP
1000 Post Club
OP Offline
1000 Post Club
E
 Quote:
Originally posted by walt 1940:
efi,
When will MegaSquirt have a new version that will take the place of the EDIS module?
Walt,

I think some time later this year.

check this link

http://msefi.com/viewtopic.php?t=24765

51 GMC 4.2 turbo
E
efi-diy Offline OP
1000 Post Club
OP Offline
1000 Post Club
E
 Quote:
Originally posted by huffin53:
hmmm, dissapearing text...again, If you have a chance to email me the specifics on you design I would love to go over the details with you.
sales@rodncycle.com thanks, hans
Huffin,

the computer this files are on is badly infected and I don't want to spread it to any of the inliners.

Marc

51 GMC 4.2 turbo
E
efi-diy Offline OP
1000 Post Club
OP Offline
1000 Post Club
E
I posted a pix of the trigger wheel in the classified performance parts for sale section if anyone is interested in taking a peak.

Ideally I'd like to get 3 others who are interested and wouldn't mind sharing the CNC programming charge.

I also have the pickup bracket and standoffs ready to go.

51 GMC 4.2 turbo
E
efi-diy Offline OP
1000 Post Club
OP Offline
1000 Post Club
E
I have the quotes back from the machine shop for the EDIS trigger parts. More than I expected...

If we can get 5 people + myself it will be $300 per set....

51 GMC 4.2 turbo
E
efi-diy Offline OP
1000 Post Club
OP Offline
1000 Post Club
E
I made a mockup of the pickup bracket from MDFB and mounted it on the motor to make sure there is no clearence issues with the drive belt - http://img88.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscf0170jm5.jpg

Although its hard to tell in the pix, the pickup runs in radial slots to allow the base timing to be set.

Too bad I don't have a lathe to make a wood mockup of the trigger wheel..

51 GMC 4.2 turbo
M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
Looks like that will work.
But can you just fab an (L) bracket on one side of the damper & attach to the two bolts?

Maybe there is something I cannot see from that pic?

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
E
efi-diy Offline OP
1000 Post Club
OP Offline
1000 Post Club
E
MBHD,

The top angles on the bracket are at specific angles in relation to the "0" postion on the sensor. They were designed to allow easy alignment of the trigger wheel and sensor during install. So we need both sides and having 4 bolts ensures good stability. Take a look at the timing wheel 3D pix. I posted in the for sale section and you will see the timing marks.

EFI

51 GMC 4.2 turbo

Moderated by  efi-diy, stock49 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 336 guests, and 40 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB
6,784 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available