Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
L
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
L
So here's the deal, I got a hold of a 292 that had been built up as a drag motor. I thought it would be a great fit for my 63 Chevy pickup and have been working on making it a bit more civilized for street use. I've replaced the cam with a Clifford unit, I installed a stock oil pan and pickup instead of a modified high capacity version, and now I've come to the real problem at the heart of the engine.

The engine came with cast domed pistons that use a Dykes top ring and a funky 1/8th inch bottom ring. while I was able to machine most of the dome off of the pistons, I have had a heck of a time finding rings. The engine came reconditioned but the guy that did it put stock rings in which will not work. I could get a custom set made for a couple of hundred dollars but it would be overkill for my application (a hot street motor).

So here is my question; I have a bore that is now very near 4 inches, does anyone know of any pistons used in other engines that will work in the 292? For that matter does any one know of a place that sells stock 292 pistons .080 thousandths over? The biggest I can find is .060.

I'd like to think that there is a cheaper alternative than spending a couple hundred on custom rings for beat up old pistons. any thoughts?

63 daily driver
56 should be done any year now
1000 Post Club
Online Content
1000 Post Club
well a couple hunderd for rings isn't that bad,when you think about a set of custom piston will run you at the very Least 500 bucks Plus the rings.
1 question I have is How thick is the top/dome area of the Piston now?? Was the piston a solid dome? or what they called a Hollow dome?( where from the under side it looked dished)

Larry/Twisted6
[oooooo] smile
Adding CFM adds boost smile
shocked God doesn't like ugly.
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
.080 over is also getting the cylinder walls thin for street use. what is wrong with the existing rings? tom

Inliner Member 1716
65 Chevelle Wagon and 41 Hudson Pickup
Information and parts www.12bolt.com

E
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
E
E-bay
Item number: 150121471375
292 CHEVY GMC Truck Straight 6 Pistons Set 080

J
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
J
Dear Lost;

The 292s were "de-tuned" at GM as a 'SMOG' maneuver (compression lowered) back then; as were many other Mfg. engines. There were 'replacements' for a while, but not now.

You really should get a forged set (flat top) like Larry mentioned. The ones on e-bay are cast and dished.

See what they say at Ross.

Good luck. \:\)

PS: Make sure the block face hasn't been 'cut off' before you order anything.

John M., I.I. #3370

"There are no shortcuts to any place worth going". -Anon
B
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
B
You might consider having the block sleeved to a std available size. Might turn out to be a better street motor.

Been there, Done that, Hope to live long enough to do it again.
Big Bill
I.I.# 4698

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 314 guests, and 51 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available