Print Thread
Rate Thread
#28802 06/23/07 03:54 PM
L
Major Contributor
OP Offline
Major Contributor
L
Several years ago, perhaps more, the subject cam was recommended. There weren't any spec.s on it, but several thought it was a good mild cam. I purchased one and finally got around to installing it. It didn't come with a cam card and couldn't locate the spec.s from the Elgin part number that was on the box. I degreed it today, this is the first cam I've degreed, so if there is an error let me know please. I took all the measurements at .050. The cam was with in a degree of the markings on the damper. The measurements a .050 lift are intake, 140 degrees on the rise, 345 degrees on the descent, max lift .265 (.4558 with 1.72 rockers). The exhaust at .050 is 5 degrees rise, and 200 degrees on descent, max lift .255 (.4386 with 1.72 rockers).

Larry

Ignorance can be fixed Stupidity is forever
D
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
D
It sounds like an intake duration of 345-140=205 degrees and
exhaust duration of 200-5=195 degrees (or is it 200+5=205 degrees??)

205/195 would be rare, kinda like a turbo cam with less exhaust than intake duration
205/205 would make more sense, a little hotter than the stock 292 cam which is about 188/188 at .050" I think.

What is the relation between your degrees and TDC? That is, is 0=360=TDC degrees?
Is 180=BDC?
(It doesnt sound like it but what then is the relation?)

When you measure lobe lift with a micrometer do you get the same numbers?

I just cant find this cam either in JC Whitney or other - what year did you buy it from Whitney?

D
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
D
One more thought, are you sure you didnt mix up intake & exhaust?
If you did that would mean it's really
195/205 in/ex duration

That would also make your "degrees" jive with TDC and I'd then get a 110 LSA with the cam ground/installed 7.5 degrees advanced.

From the lift though I still cant figure the exact cam but it would be a great street/RV cam even for a stock converter, 3.08 gear, etc.

R
Contributor
Contributor
R
I found this cam on the online NAPA page. I believe this is the stock or real close to the stock 188/188 cam.
NAPA part number

They use to sell this 194/204 cam that I believe may be the same cam Whitney had. I scanned this from a printout I had fortunately saved..

Item#: CEP2291876
Price: $119.00
tax and shipping not included
Disclaimer: The stated price may vary from the in store price and may change at anytime.
usually ships within 3-5 days.
Attributes:
Advertised Duration (Exhaust):270 Deg Advertised Duration (Intake):260 Deg
Cam Lift (Exhaust):.280"
Cam Lift (Intake):.26S"
Cam Timing at.O5O" lobe lift (Exhaust Close):13 Deg BTC
Cam Timing at .050" lobe lift (Exhaust Open):37 Deg BBC
Carn Timing at J)5O" lobe lift (Intake Close):22 Deg ABC
Cam Timing at .050" lobe lift (Intake Open):8 DegATC
Degrees Overlap:45 Deg
Duration at .050" lobe lift (Exhaust):204 Deg Duration at .050" lobe lift (lntake):194 Deg lobe Centerline (Exhaust):11S Deg
lobe Centerline (Intake):1O5 Deg
Valve lash (Exhaust):Hyd.
Valve lash (Intake):Hyd.
Valve lift (Exhaust):.490"
Valve Lift (Intake):.464"

I agree with DeuceCoupe that your rise and descent notation is a little hard to interpret.
When I dropped the engine with this cam back in my '67 3/4 GMC, I changed the 4.56 gears for 3.54 and it seemed to wake up and pull harder. Pulls strongest from 1500 to 2800.

'67 GMC 3/4 292 4spd
L
Major Contributor
OP Offline
Major Contributor
L
Deuce you're right on I mixed up int and exh. I put a stop in #1 and checked the marking on the damper, it was within a degree or two. I put zero on the degree wheel at TDC. The degree wheel I used will be replaced next time. The degree wheel is less than the damper diameter. The lifters haven't been pumped up yet, so I tightened the rockers down snug no slop. I didn't think to measure the lobes before I put it in.

This going in a 63 3/4 ton with 4.10 posi and a A833 tranny. I'll probably pull this cam after the engine is broke in and I have a "feel" for how it performs. I'm going to clean up the HEI this afternoon and hopefully have the motor ready to put in tomorrow.

Larry

D
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
D
cam break in,
you're probably up on this already but new oil wiping out a lot of new cams these days,
Use lots of break-in cam lube (GMEOS or Crane are my fav's) and a zinc oil like Rotella-T etc

I always spin the distrib first to get oil pressure up, that helps pump up the lifters too somewhat

I bet it's the cam RichardJ identified, PAW sells this grind too now.

L
Major Contributor
OP Offline
Major Contributor
L
I've got a couple of gallons of Delo.

I used Lubriplate on the cam in a bent 8 a couple of years ago didn't have any problem, till the head cracked after 10k.

I've got a screw driver blade with a 1/2 drive I'll put on my air ratchet. I'll put a mechanical oil gauge in place of the sender and see what it comes up to.

RichardJ's cam has more lift and I haven't tried to decipher the rest of his numbers. I haven't even looked at my number that close yet.

The HEI looked better than I expected, except the Bozo that installed the module didn't put any white (I forget what you call it) grease under it.
I need another vac adv. The one that is in is only 15 degrees, I want 23-26.
Larry

R
Contributor
Contributor
R
You'll do a lot better with one that has about 8-10 degrees advance. You would have a hard time getting it to run decent and not ping itself to death, even if you could find one like 23-26.
An air ratchet might be a tad overkill. A small battery powered drill is more than enough. Pulling the engine over by hand while you run the pump is always a good idea.

'67 GMC 3/4 292 4spd

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 119 guests, and 37 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB
6,784 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available