Print Thread
Rate Thread
S
searth Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
S
Is there a accurate way to reset the timing mark? I put the distributor firing trigger on the number one location and painted the mark but then when I strobe it, it is way below the timing mark. it is constant though and about 1.5 inches below 0 on the pulley marker. And if I try and adjust it to where the white mark that I put on the pulley would be at 6 degrees it is way off with a very rough idle.
Can i take out the number one plug and bump the engine till one is at the top and then take out the the distributor and line up the rotor so that is points at the number one spark pug wire. then set the file mark on the balancer with a file mark and paint it. wouldnt that set 0 tdc? Or should I just do it by feel?

63 Inline 230 ci 6 Nova
B
Contributor
Contributor
B
What type of timing light do you have? Also, make sure if the light has an advance knob, that it's set to zero. Been there, done that. It's also possible that the outer ring on the balancer has slipped. Pull the #1 plug, rotate the engine over till it's at TDC COMPRESSION. Now, check to see where your timing mark on the balancer is. If it's off, then make a new mark on the balancer, and set timing from there. Should be around 6-10 degrees advanced. Hope this helps. John

'68 C-10 - 250 with Edelbrock 600cfm 4 barrel, Offy intake, Hedman headers and true duals, HEI, MSD 6A box, relocated gas tank
Soon to have: T-5 tranny
P
Contributor
Contributor
P
The way to find the accurate "Top dead" center with the engine assembled would be as follows:
1.Remove all spark plugs and disconnect the battery to avoid accidental use of the starter --Use a old spark plug with the center(porclien) removed and a bolt approx. 1' long welded to the end of it. Install it in the no. 1 spark plug hole.This will temporarly stop the motor before the piston reaches "Top Dead" center. Do not use the starter!!!
2. Turn the motor clock-wise BY HAND till it stops on the temp. plug in no.1 hole. Now make a temporary mark on the balancer at your "zero" on the timing tab(if you don't have a timing tab make a pointer)
3. Turn the motor back counterclock-wise by hand until it stops again. Now make another temporary mark at the "zero" or the pointer.
4.Measure the distance between the marks(in other words the distance the balancer did not rotate) and divide that by 2 and mark that point on the balancer permanetly as that is the actual "TOP DEAD" center.
5. BE SURE TO REMOVE THE DUMMY SPARK PLUG!!
maybe this will help--Paul

BAN LOW PERFORFMANCE DRIVERS.....
NOT HIGH PERFORMANCE CARS!!
S
searth Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
S
Thanks for your help everyone.

63 Inline 230 ci 6 Nova

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 420 guests, and 30 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SSG Pohlman, castironphil, uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101
6,786 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available