Print Thread
Rate Thread
D
dew101 Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
D
has anyone run one of these ? they shure look good. how bad are the ford 94's to tune ?

it shure would take your common inline and make it look like a beast under the hood ?

i dont know how to do a link but heres the ebay number 260198485502

tg
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Hey Dew101 . . .

It certainly is a beaut!

gmc 302 248 270 chevy 235 261 Harper intake holley 94\'s

But it seems to me it would be way more carbs then would be needed for the street. The other challenge this type of 'trip' is that each carb is dedicated to an intake port - so each carb needs a choke, idle circuit and power valve; and they need to be synchronized. Most 'log style' trips are setup with the center carb as a primary and the outside carbs as secondaries on a progressive linkage.

The piece is likely to fetch a very hefty price as they are rare (and this one is complete with linkage). The carbs alone are worth over $400. And no doubt would be an eye popper under the hood.

The Holley 94 replaced the Stromberg 97 as Ford original equipment in the 40's. The junk yards were full of both so lots of hot rods sported them.

Oh, I almost forgot. Here's a link to procedure for tuning/synching dual 94's:
Holley 94\'s and a Vacuum Distributor
ignore the fact the mill underneath is a flathead ;-)

Happy hunting.

regards,
stock49

[Linked Image from 49fastback.com]
Contributor
Contributor
There was a similar Harper setup on ebay last summer. Here is a link to the thread discussing that Harper discussion and some comments about its use. I still have mine, and I'm planning on using it in my next retirement project.

Some experts will tell you that the Harper arrangement does not make the best use of the available carburetors since, as stock49 observed, each carb only supplies one pair of ports. As the forward (1 and 2) and aft (5 and 6) cylinders do not fire at 360 degree intervals, the airflow pulses through the carbs supplying those cylinders are unbalanced.

Other experts (e.g., Smith and Morrison's Scientific Design of Exhaust and Intake Systems) claim that the use of three nearly-isolated carbs, like the Harper, performs quite well on an inline sis (page 187 in Chapter 9 of my paperback copy. I've never seen any dyno or road tests that sort through these questions.

Hoyt, Inliner #922
D
dew101 Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
D
thats the problem i am having is i cant find anyone that has run a harper intake or has know of someone that has run one.
yes i agree on a small 216 chevy or a gmc 228 it may be to much.
but i am gathering parts to build a 302 stroker. i now have a ported head with bigger valves. i am going to have the crank welded up to increase the stroke .250 which in trun will be a full .500 increase in stroke with a boar increase of .060 which will give me that 350 cubic inche range.
for which a intake set up like this may very well work ??
there seems to be two camps one says it a good intake, the other says it wont work.
so i only wish i knew ????????
thanks

tg
R
Contributor
Contributor
R
I am using a homemade setup similar to this and it works very well on a mild 302 GMC. I used Weber 32/36 mm progressive 2 barrels. I made it from 3 90 degree mild steel tubing bends split horizontally and shifted to form the 2 to 1 taper. The 3 tubes are connected by 1 inch rubber hose to provide some balance a idle. It idles and accelerates well and gets 17 mpg on trips in overdrive pushing a 3400 lb 40 Chevy coupe.

FranK Hainey
Contributor
Contributor
dew101,

Maybe I was a little obtuse. A detailed reading of the link in my post above will indicate that I ran a Harper on a couple of 261s when I was a youth - for eight years (1958-1966). It worked great, and I plan on using it again. My mother could even drive the car when she had to. I'm currently using five Strombergs on my 278 - two 97s as primaries, with chokes and working idle jets, and three 48s as secondaries.

Hoyt, Inliner #922

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 378 guests, and 44 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil, uncle dave, trustedmedications20
6,787 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available