#29745 02/14/08 03:05 AM
E
efi-diy Offline OP
1000 Post Club
OP Offline
1000 Post Club
E
While suffering withdrawal I hung my hat on stovebolt
.com. Well the question came up about a CARB intake for this engine.

So make a long story short if we get enough people this will happen.

http://www.stovebolt.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/371294#Post371294

http://www.stovebolt.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/374731/fpart/5

Needed 40 souls to buck up - got 1 need 39 more to make it happen. I'm working a dual 2 barrel intake design. I have a line a pattern maker so once the funding is good we'll get the patterns made, then off to the foundry.

Marc

51 GMC 4.2 turbo
Can't solved today's problems using the same technology/thinking that created them
E
efi-diy Offline OP
1000 Post Club
OP Offline
1000 Post Club
E
Holley 2 bbl - does anyone here have a holley 2 bbl hanging in their shop? I'm looking for the baseplate measurements including the bolt pattern.

51 GMC 4.2 turbo
Can't solved today's problems using the same technology/thinking that created them
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
Marc-

I can get a bunch of these cast, at a decent cost. The company that I'm working with to do an ITB intake has done two already.

I think it's time for a full line of parts for these engines- I keep getting emails for various stuff. If only I was retired from the military by now!!! (in a few short years...)

JEFF

JEFF
68 Firebird 4.2 Trailblazer engine
E
efi-diy Offline OP
1000 Post Club
OP Offline
1000 Post Club
E
Jeff,

I can get billet cam blanks now - bleeding expensive by the time the cams are ready to put in - but we're no longer stuck without cores.

51 GMC 4.2 turbo
E
efi-diy Offline OP
1000 Post Club
OP Offline
1000 Post Club
E
Jeff,

I'd like to talk to them about casting, mind shooting me a web page to look at?

51 GMC 4.2 turbo
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
efi-diy

I have some 500 cfm carbs How would you like a gasket instead? I'm sure i have a few of those as well. But It maybe be faster to just go to any
Parts house and pick you up one or two.

Larry/Twisted6
[oooooo] smile
Adding CFM adds boost smile
shocked God doesn't like ugly.
E
efi-diy Offline OP
1000 Post Club
OP Offline
1000 Post Club
E
 Quote:
Originally posted by Twisted6 I.I #3220:
efi-diy

I have some 500 cfm carbs How would you like a gasket instead? I'm sure i have a few of those as well. But It maybe be faster to just go to any
Parts house and pick you up one or two.
Larry,

The more accurate the better, mind breaking out the calipers and doing a measurement off the carb itself?

51 GMC 4.2 turbo
Contributor
Contributor
You might want to make them like Clifford does, with a flat plate that bolts to the top of the manifold. Then you can use the same base casting and offer multiple carb base options. In fact, maybe you could just use Clifford's base.

1950 Chevy pickup with '62 261, 4 speed.
E
efi-diy Offline OP
1000 Post Club
OP Offline
1000 Post Club
E
Good idea. A flat plate is easy enough for folks to make at home with just a saw and drill press. Especially if they get a paper pattern to layout the holes.

51 GMC 4.2 turbo
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
When i had my 350/500 cfm holley Bell crank/carb spacers made I just gave my laser buddy a Gasket
That way I knew there would not be any issues with the Butterflys because teh gasket bore is bigger then the carb itself.

Larry/Twisted6
[oooooo] smile
E
efi-diy Offline OP
1000 Post Club
OP Offline
1000 Post Club
E
Larry,

No one around here carries much carb stuff anymore.... so if you don't mind could you please do a sketch for me.

thanks

Marc

51 GMC 4.2 turbo
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
efi-diy
I sent you a privite message I can scan Or even Mail you a gasket.

Larry/Twisted6
[oooooo] smile
E
efi-diy Offline OP
1000 Post Club
OP Offline
1000 Post Club
E

update

The balance tube location is preliminary and could be moved/resized.

Design feedback welcomed.

51 GMC 4.2 turbo
K
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
K
Sorry for mentioning it, but I find it somewhat ironic that the resident EFI hotshot is also working on a carb manifold. That said, I'd be more inclined to go with a single 4-barrel or three DCOEs.

Edit: that sounded snide, didn't it? After following the links it's clear that DIY is once more leading the way in developing this underappreciated engine.

M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
Carbs are a thing of the past,esp with that engine,needs EFI,or if you are not going w/efi @ least three side draft Webers.
Two cents thrown.

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
The nice part about doing a 4bbl intake is that it will allow MANY EFI kits to be run on the engine- thus increasing the hmmmmmmmmm factor.

Another bonus- the injectors are in the head, so you don't need to fab up injector bosses in the intake.

Marc- info coming your way, BTW... it's no big secret!

MBHD- re: EFI...exactly! why go backwards? The injectors are already pointing right at the intake valves. Hell- even Robert Yates called for the end to carbs in NASCAR!

JEFF
68 Firebird 4.2 Trailblazer engine
M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
I would rather run a single throttle body or oval over a 4 barrel throttle body,keep it simple.
OHCFbird,,,
I did not say to run Webers,it looked like he is designing 4 bbl carb intakes.
Read my previous post.

Quote" DIY is once more leading the way in developing this underappreciated engine. "

Self racing already has been developing this engine for quite some time. He had a built turbocharged 4.2 in a 66 Nova wagon that made 1000 HP & ran in the 8's

12 port SDS EFI
E
efi-diy Offline OP
1000 Post Club
OP Offline
1000 Post Club
E
 Quote:
Originally posted by kreb:
Sorry for mentioning it, but I find it somewhat ironic that the resident EFI hotshot is also working on a carb manifold. That said, I'd be more inclined to go with a single 4-barrel or three DCOEs.

Edit: that sounded snide, didn't it? After following the links it's clear that DIY is once more leading the way in developing this underappreciated engine.
Hmmmm well - thanks but Glen Self has been working this for a while - just limited demand and only fabricated parts. This isn't for myself as I have other plans. I had 2 thoughts in mind when I went to the dual 2 barrel carb. approach:

1) try and keep the runners as equal as possible - yes #3 & #4 are shorter - hard to keep the intake compact so it will fit the confines of an AD truck and keep the runners exactly the same length.

2) Keep the core pattern as simple as possible. With one simple pattern both the front and rear sections core sections can be made. The flange would be a seperate pattern. The balance tube if it stays the same could be a fabricated 1 1/2 tube (I hear the hardware store calling....). The cores would be assembled in the cast box to form the complete core ready to pour.

Sure a triple dual side draft manifold is easy but is it practical? Maybe some folks could chime in here. And I'm not sure it'll fit in an AD truck without firewall mod's ( remember where this thread started)... If someone can provide an accurate sketch of the DCOE base plate this is an evenings work to come up with the design.

If folks wanted to run a single 4bbl carb, by keeping the carb flanges removable then a upside down U connection could be bolted onto the existing plenum's.

51 GMC 4.2 turbo
K
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
K
The Self's results speak for themselves, but as far as I can tell, they aren't actively participating on forums and sharing their knowledge. I don't mean that as a criticism. Their knowledge is hard-earned no doubt, and they are under no obligation to help out a bunch of cheapskates like us!

E
efi-diy Offline OP
1000 Post Club
OP Offline
1000 Post Club
E
The root cause of no affordable parts is not so much the lack of interest in motor but lack of commitment. A follow rodder sent me a sketch of the holley 2bbl flange and I have essentially completed the 2bbl design.

So to turn it into a part folks need to step up to the bar. I've done my part, but I don't have the $$$ to go get pattern made and the parts cast on my own, so it will have to be a community effort. Got a swap meet coming up... go dig that part out you put on the shelf 20 years ago and never will use... $300 is like 2-4 tanks of gas depending where you live and what you drive.

By efi_diy at 2008-02-18

51 GMC 4.2 turbo
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
efi diy
Sorry I didn't get that photo to you but i am glad somebody did.I got tied up and didn't have time to dig one out for you. But It is looking good.

Larry/Twisted6
[oooooo] smile
C
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
C
I'll take one, that's 38 more you'll need.

'49 Chevy 1/2 ton, '56 235, 848 head, Fentons, x-pipe, 1-2bbl H-W.
E
efi-diy Offline OP
1000 Post Club
OP Offline
1000 Post Club
E
 Quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo:
I'll take one, that's 38 more you'll need.
Folks talk to your fellow rodders and see if we can get enough interest to make this happen..

51 GMC 4.2 turbo
A
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
A
What the Heck... Still haven't gotten the Injectors to work yet. Sign me up.

If it's not broken, Break it
C
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
C
FWIW, Jack Halton, dearly departed past president if alive would be all over this and would have been on the list for one or two IMHO. I recall hearing him talk about this engine and it's possibilities while it was in the design stages at an Inliners meet in PA circa '99 or so.

'49 Chevy 1/2 ton, '56 235, 848 head, Fentons, x-pipe, 1-2bbl H-W.
E
efi-diy Offline OP
1000 Post Club
OP Offline
1000 Post Club
E
37 more to go....

51 GMC 4.2 turbo
T
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
T
Guys, I know we are all individualists and want to prove how smart we are or we wouldn't be playing with this stuff, but please. I put 1000 miles on one of these motors this summer with a t-56 trans behind it. Great torque, acceleration anytime, 30-32 mpg and not the least bit fussy. If you want to do a manifold, do one that does not stick up in the air and mount the throttle body on top of the motor. Drive one of these first before you try to "update" it with 100 year old technology!

Contributor
Contributor
Well since we are here talking about this engine I might as well jump on in. Trout Two, this new manifold has come about by EFI-DIY because he was trying to help others who do not see this new fangled EFI as a gift from GOD. They have worked with carb's and are very comfortable with that technology. I'm a hair shy of 50 and have work in both areas but I would not down the guy's who, after all have carried the torch of HotRodding for us to get to were we are now. If they see merit in this engine but, don't want to mess with the newer technology of EFI then let's see how they can work with part of the new but also use the old. It would be a great start for even the adventurous to use two 1bbl TBI units as a stepping stone to Mulit-Port EFI.

E
efi-diy Offline OP
1000 Post Club
OP Offline
1000 Post Club
E
With over 1500 viewer at stovebolt.com the numbers are not coming together to make this happen. So its not looking good right now.

51 GMC 4.2 turbo

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 300 guests, and 38 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available