Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
C
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
C
Does anyone know what the color codes are?

I know white is brake switch. But that's alls I know.

purple
pink/light red
dark blue
light blue
yellow
green/brown(I'm guessing it's green.)
white

Thanks y'all.

C T O W N

J
Contributor
Contributor
J
If you'll give me a day or so, I think I still have a diagram at home from when I changed out my steering column.

Offhand I can't remember which one is which, and I always access the Inliners site from work.

------------------
David
newbie #4153

David
newbie #4153
C
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
C
Deal!

Gracias hometown.

J
Contributor
Contributor
J
Here's the list of what my '63 has in it:

purple is (output) to the right rear T/S - brake light

pink is (output) to left rear T/S - brake light

dark blue is (output) to right front T/S

light blue is (output) to left front T/S

yellow is (input) from the T/S flasher in the fuseblock

green/brown is the (grounding) line from the horn relay to the contacts in the steering wheel. It changes colors at the connector plug, brown being the column side.

white is the (input) line from the brake light switch.

I've already put a later model GM column and switch into my truck, so if you need the color codes to match with, give a holler.

------------------
David
newbie #4153

David
newbie #4153
C
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
C
Gracias JaS!

I'm wondering which wire is for the light bulb for the shift indicator? Or is it spliced onto one of the 7 wires?

Nonetheless, Thanks again David.

Ricardo

J
Contributor
Contributor
J
The shift indicator light, if equipped, will run off the brown wire that powers taillights and dash illumination. I don't remember ever seeing an original 60 to 66 column with a light on an automatic shifter pointer. They might be out there for all I know, and maybe GMC put one on thier trucks.

------------------
David
newbie #4153

David
newbie #4153
C
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
C
On Chevytalk.org, there's this fella who mentioned that the 63 C10 didn't come with a neutral safety switch...

The engine I put in there is not original. I just found out recently that the rear end isn't original, from a later C10. Now you mentioned the shift indicator light is not OG...

I guess I can start calling it my Rod...I did officially race it sooo...LOL!

If I can manage a steering column swap in the future expect a horn hometown!

Gracias again for the ayuda.

Ctown

Thanks again hometown.

Ctown

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
above you show the colors of the harness clips . Is there any chance you would be able to tell me if there was another set of colors ? I just rewired my 64 chevy stepside with new wiring I had gotten from a friend .
is there a different color code for GMC ?
my new harness is out of a 64 suburban .
thanks !

J
Contributor
Contributor
J
Hello,

To be honest, there just aren't a whole lot of GMC's out there, so I haven't had much opportunity to look them over closely. I really don't know if they had different colors, but since they always had a little "better" product, it's certainly feasible. GMC had a tendency to use new products before the Chevy truck division even heard about it. BTW, I did see your other post and went here to direct you to it.

What you are probably going to have to do is start off with the colors listed above as a guide, and use a jumper wire to confirm what goes where in your application. There isn't anything that can get hurt by your putting power in any of the harness wires, but of course use a fused jumper regardless.

If your turn signals aren't working, there are several things that might be wrong.
1. the brake light bulbs are not connected right. That means they could be either not getting power, OR THE GROUND SIDE ISN'T CONNECTED. I had to run a jumper on my pickup to connect the bed to the frame, due to poor electrical contact on the frame mounts. If the brake lights work, then the ground is OK.
2. the T/S switch is bad
3. the flasher is junk. Your harness wire that comes from the flasher should be hot all the time with the ignition on.
4. the fuse feeding the flasher is bad. Always check barrel fuses by using a test light at the side clips in the fuse block, NOT by touching it to the fuse. Corrosion on the clips keeps electricity from coming out of the fuse and into the harness. Make sure and test this while the T/S switch is engaged, so there is a load across the fuse.

Give it a try and get back if you still need some help.

------------------
David
newbie #4153

David
newbie #4153
C
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
C
Check out this hometown's site.

He's devoted to GMC's.
www.6066gmctrucks.org/

CT

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (stock49), 336 guests, and 34 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB
6,784 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available