Print Thread
Rate Thread
#30395 08/15/05 12:23 PM
L
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
L
The starter on my '67 Camaro 250 headed south, so I went to my trusty local auto parts store to pick up a re-man unit. After I got the starter home, I noticed it was a V8 replacement unit with the stud on the front of the motor housing for the V8 mounting bracket. I took the starter back with a printed picture from my Chevy shop manual showing the threaded hole in the motor housing for the L6 mounting bracket. Much to my dismay, all 4 parts stores I visited showed that the V8 and L6 starter replacement part numbers were the same. I assume someone else here has run into the same problem. Any suggestions on how to get the correct starter?

Thanks,

Dan

J
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
J
Dear Dan;

As I recall the V8 & 6 cyl starters are the same and I'm not sure what yout question is.

If the stud is in the way, simply use a long (starter bolt) etc.

They made two types from GM. Low/high torque, with the higher ones going on the 'biger' V-8s & they all had the same 'nose piece' except for Pontiac and perhaps Buick.

Perhaps the NOVAMAN can help???

John M., I.I. #3370

"There are no shortcuts to any place worth going". -Anon
M
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
M
There are 2 starters for your engine and the small block V8 of similar years. One is for the 153 tooth flywheel and one is for the 168 tooth flywheel. Tech specs will indicate a variation in starter rpm and ampereage draw from different starter part numbers but for the Inline you can use almost any of them with sucess as long as it meshes with your flywheel.

As far as the support bracket being off the front cover or off the top of the case, you are correct.
I have run both the Inline and V8 engines without the support bracket with no problems. The shop manuals and others will tell you the starter will break its aluminum nose if you don't install the support bracket. I've never had that happen - yet - and have had them on an engine for 60,000 miles and more with no problem.

So I would say if you can't find the starter with the threaded hole on the top of the case, don't panic. You'd be surprised just how many are out there without the bracket. I bet if the parts guy took the time to open all his Chevy starter boxes he'd find one with a hole in the case for the bracket, even though his parts listing only shows one part number for both the Inline and the V engines.

Mike G #4355
J
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
J
The support bracket was used on the 'big block' V-8s from the factory & commercial vehicles.

Mike is correct in that most don't use it etc.

John M., I.I. #3370

"There are no shortcuts to any place worth going". -Anon
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
All the starters are the same They just came with different nose cones. The extra long screw that holds the case together is no big deal.It was mainly for v8 blocks that had the bracket your speaking of. Pay it no mind you can still use it.Some of the brackets were also Mounted at the ends even in the mid area of the cases again no big deal like mike said. I Built reman starters & alt. for 3 yrs.

Larry/Twisted6
[oooooo] smile
Adding CFM adds boost smile
shocked God doesn't like ugly.
E
Contributor
Contributor
E
A sharp rebuilder would have drilled the hole and tapped it in all his rebuilds.Have you ever noticed Chevy water pumps that have both bolt patterns on the pulley/fan hub.That way one pump covers several aplications,thus opening up more room on the parts shelf for other stuff.I would disassemble the starter and drill and tap the hole if you are concerned about it.
EvilDr235

L
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
L
Thanks guys,

I think I'll just mount the re-man unit and rebuild my original sometime down the road.

Dan

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 450 guests, and 46 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB
6,784 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available