Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#30564 04/17/06 09:48 PM
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Hello everyone, I have a dilemma and need anyone's assistance. I put a 168 tooth flexplate on my engine and need to know the part number or year and model of a vehicle to get the right 2 bolt starter. My original flexplate was a 153 tooth, hence the old starter will not fit unless I change back to the old flexplate. It would be a lot easier to just change the starter. PLEASE HELP!! Is there even a starter out there or am I forced to change the flexplate??

ps. I had an aftermarket mini starter and of course it is toast. I thought I'd try it since it had two sets of bolt holes for both flexplates. Well it lasted 4 months.

J
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
J
Dear Ted;

How/why did the 'mini-starter' fail??

John M., I.I. #3370

"There are no shortcuts to any place worth going". -Anon
M
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
M
I don't have a part number handy but maybe this will help you. The 153 tooth starters have both bolts in a straight line. The 168 tooth jobs have the 2 mounting bolts staggered. You have 2 solutions to work from. First find a used starter with the staggered bolt pattern and just swap the aluminum nose onto yours. Second is to find a friendly parts man at the auto store and ask him to let you see a few rebuilt Chevy V8 starters. Take one home with the staggered mounting bolt holes. Don't worry about the different amp or speed ratings if they get mentioned by the parts man. The inline 6 will work fine on any V8 or 90 degree V6 starter that will bolt up to the block.

As far as make and model I am pretty sure the last of the rear wheel drive Monte Carlos ( 1984-1987 ) used the 200-4 overdrive tranny.

Mike G #4355
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Hello Fellas.
John,
I really don't know exactly what happened but when I turned the key it cranked then stopped, and then nothing. Got down underneath to get a closer look and everything looked right. I double checked the wiring everything was tight. Then I took it out and I can smell a burnt odor from the solenoid.

Mike G,
thanks for the info. I actually found out what application the flywheel was (75 Nova, 250) and matched the starter. I had to drill a hole to match the starter pattern (offset). It starts like a dream now. Within time I'll find the straight hole pattern starter or just get my mini checked out. I really liked the mini (looked nice and started fine, till now).

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 364 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available