Print Thread
Rate Thread
#30672 10/13/06 10:06 PM
B
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
B
Hi guys, After 6 yrs. off the road,and just over a year of teardown/re-assembly done, I'm FINALLY almost ready to put my '69 Chev C-20 back to use as a daily driver. Originally down for a bad flywheel, I decided to do some other work as well.....took off front clip to allow for better access to engine bay...did some cleaning up while under there.After installing new flywheel,clutch & 4 spd. tranny, I have everything bolted up & ready to go,minus the front clip.
Really hate to post such basic issues here,did search but not much help. Here's the problem(s): Engine spins like crazy when I turn the key but no indication that it even WANTS to fire.....not even a cough or hiccup out of the motor.I should mention that I drained the old stale gas from the tank before all this. Looked down the carb barrel while manually working throttle...don't see any gas squirting in there."No biggie",I think,"it hasn't run in 6 yrs. I'll figure that out later.".On to ignition....pull #1 plug it's clean...check for spark...not getting any spark. My question is: Is it possible/likely that BOTH the fuel pump & coil could be bad ???? just my initial thought. Also,and I don't know if this has anything to do with it....on right side of motor there is a "gang" of wires wrapped in electrical tape. They branch off in different directions, some going to the starter....one runs along top of head ...appears it should run toward front of engine but not 100% sure. This mystery wire has a plastic clip on the end to connect to something, but what??? The clip looks similar to a connector for hot wire to a horn, however, upon closer examination the metal part that connects to whatever it is it goes to is on the corner of the plastic,making an "L" shape,sorta.Crummy description but what do you expect from an amatuer? Anyone want to take a gander what this goes to?...is this the source of my "no spark" issue? Your expertise is appreciated.

Frank
-------------
'69 Chevy C-20
292 4 spd. OD Offy intake Edelbrock 500cfm long tube headers 4:56 rears
#30673 10/14/06 12:14 AM
M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
Need to check for power @ the coil.When key is turned on.
Coils usually do not go bad by sitting not being used.
Fuel pump or system is clogged probably.
You won't get a cough or sputter if you have no fuel or spark.

12 port SDS EFI
#30674 10/14/06 01:19 PM
J
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
J
A squirt of 'starting fluid' in the carb (while cranking) will tell ya which it is, if you do the electrical Hank says first.

Good luck. \:\)

John M., I.I. #3370

"There are no shortcuts to any place worth going". -Anon
#30675 10/14/06 06:40 PM
D
Contributor
Contributor
D
You can also try a coulple of sharp taps (on the carb) with the back of a screwdriver right by the fuel inlet to drop the float (it may be stuck). Also use a test light and make sure you have power to the coil DURING cranking.

#30676 10/15/06 06:16 PM
B
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
B
Thanks for the feedback guys, unfortunately, I had to go to work after I posted Q's so I didn't have time to look at it again till this morning. I put a test light to the coil like Hank suggested,it's got voltage there.Also had already cleaned up the contacts on the points & had shot some starting fluid too.If I can drag my son away from his computer he can crank it over while I do another voltage check. Walt,thanks for the info on checking for fuel flow...pulled the sending unit ...looks OK,pulled the line off the fuel pump...plenty of gas there...I think the carb might be all gummed up.Will let ya know once it runs.Thanks again.

Frank
-------------
'69 Chevy C-20
#30677 10/16/06 09:35 AM
A
Contributor
Contributor
A
Just in case you haven't checked, make sure your distributor is in correctly. It's very easy to get them 180 degrees off. Good luck.

#30678 10/16/06 10:15 AM
J
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
J
Dear Frank;

You may have 'multiple issues' there & need someone to assist on location.

The BB can only do 'so much' W/O observing etc.

Perhaps you know someone who has automotive knowledge that can help out by doing the required tests.

Good luck. \:\)

John M., I.I. #3370

"There are no shortcuts to any place worth going". -Anon
#30679 10/16/06 02:29 PM
B
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
B
Guys, Thanks for all the great info,you don't know how much of a help you all have been to me.I really appreciate it, and yes,I realize the BB can only "do so much W/O observing." Again, I hated to post such basic issues as this,usually it's the bigger,meatier problems that baffle me...I'm confident now that I will be able to resolve this eventually. My main problem is not having adequate time off to get to what needs doing....anyone who knows someone in the trucking industry can understand how demanding a life it is....matter of fact I have to wrap things up shortly and get to the highway til next Saturday morn. God bless,
\:\) \:\) \:\)

Frank
-------------
'69 Chevy C-20
#30680 10/16/06 06:46 PM
D
Contributor
Contributor
D
I have been a Truck tech. for 12 yrs. and while the mechanics and the drivers don't always see eye to eye, we do agree that driving is rough work with VERY rough hours. Stay safe out there.

Dan

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 321 guests, and 36 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available