Print Thread
Rate Thread
#30851 03/03/07 09:45 PM
V
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
V
So I want to convert my 49 plymouth over to 12 volt and still use my stock generator. So I do as the tech tips here at inliners.org say and take my generator down to a very reputable electric motor shop to get my field coils swapped out.

The guys there tell me to just get a 12 volt voltage regulator and not change the field coils. They explain to me that the generator already cranks out a ton of amperage and that only changing the regulator should be fine.

Does this sound right?

Please note: I am hell-bent on keeping a generator and cannot be convinced otherwise...

Thanks in advance.

J
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
J
You can't, sorry. \:\(

A 6V generator can't put out enough voltage to run a 12V system. You need to change both Gen., Reg. and the battery to 12V.

You may need/want to stay + ground too.

This can get quite involved, so get some professional help/advice BEFORE you start.

Good luck. \:\)

John M., I.I. #3370

"There are no shortcuts to any place worth going". -Anon
V
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
V
In theory a "6 volt" generator can produce an infinite amount of voltage. The question is what rpm do I have to be at to produce the 14 volts required to manetain my new 12 volt system?

Well, we know it is rated for atleast 7.3 volts and 45 amps at 2,000 rpm based on the voltage reg. ratings. I would need atleast another 6.8 volts to get to 14.

These guys may be right. Only one way to find out...

I'll report back with my findings.

J
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
J
A 6V generator W/O a load will put out around 11.5 volts and a 12V one 19 +/-.

Don't waste your time. Many tried this in the 50s attempting to charge an 8V (marine) battery. The potential just isn't there. \:\(

Simply get a gen/reg from a 55+ Plymoth 6 and someone with techical experience to assist you. There's a lot more there than just the charging voltage to consider.

Good luck. \:\)

John M., I.I. #3370

V
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
V
I have converted over three other vehicles before this one. It really isn't all that challenging, especially since I had to completely rewire them anyway. Two of them were even positive ground.

However, for these I slapped on Delco alternators with internal regulators. With my Plymouth, this is the first time I ever cared about the appearance of my mill.

We'll see what happens.

D
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
D
Von,

Here's something that may help you.............

It was fairly common to convert 6 volt cars to use an 8 volt system, back in the '50s. First, you'll need an 8 volt battery. Western Auto used to sell a special regulator for this conversion, but I could usually adjust most regulators so they'd put out about 9-9.4 volts.

(I saw an 8 volt battery at Tractor Supply Company a while back, so 8 volt batteries are apparently still being made)

I've probably converted 20 grove tractors, some MOPARS, Fords, and a few others, from 6 to 8 volt systems; they really spin and start a lot better. You don't have to touch the starters.

The lights will burn brighter....and bulbs may not last quite as long, and the instruments on the dash may be off, just a little. But, if the wiring is in good shape I've never had a problem.

Lord, let me live long enough to do all the projects I have planned!
D
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
D
P.S.

Most of the old voltage regulators had 3 coils with points; one adjusts voltage out-put, there's a cut-out relay and also a current limiter. The voltage regulating points only needs to be adjusted.....to increase voltage sufficiently to charge an 8 volt battery.

9 to 9.4 volts will do it, if I remember correctly. Any Motors Manual, or factory shop manual will show how to adjust the voltage regulator.

Hope this helps.

J
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
J
Dear Dennis;

Yes, that's how it was done.

However; the generator 'burns up' fairly soon, taking ALL the acessories and lights with it.

Tractors/marine engines of that era, didn't run at highway speeds/long periods and had few lights/acessories.

Running @ 9V +/- creates so much (extra) heat is why it can't work on automobiles etc.

Happy trails. \:\)

John M., I.I. #3370

D
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
D
Yes, that's a better way, these days. In a junk yard, I saw a 12V generator on a Massey Harris combine with a MOPAR industrial engine. Probably could have bought it for $10. I have to remember it ain't still 1957!

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 153 guests, and 43 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB
6,784 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available