Rate Thread
#31420 01/31/06 10:26 PM
S
step67 Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
S
I was wondering if anyone has had any exsperience with a hard lockable Tonneau cover ?
Am thinking of putting one on my 67 Short step, want to be able to lock stuff up & keep it dry in the winter also.
Any info pros-con, models/types etc appreciated

Thanks Dale

#31421 02/01/06 10:44 AM
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
Dale,

About 5 years ago, I bought my first pickup truck.
It was a Dodge Dakota and I've been very happy with it. I've always thought that a hard Tonneau looked great and provided security. All of the folks I know that have trucks,ususally put a cap on them. It looks a little bulky and the rear vision is practically gone. I was told that if you have to haul something big, you'll regret taking the cover off and on.

After 5 years, I've hauled dirt, mulch, engines, jukeboxes, large screen TV's, refrigerators, stoves, you name it. I've never removed the cover but I have unbolted the gas struts and raised the cover to use my engine hoist to load and unload motors.

I say go with the hard Tonneau. The look great, lock very well and are as secure as any car trunk, give you great rear visibility, and better gas mileage that an open pickup.

RapRap
1940 ChoppedChevyCoupe

Loud Pipes Saves Lives!
#31422 02/01/06 12:13 PM
S
step67 Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
S
Thanks chopped 40
I appreciate the feed back, am glad to here from someone who has one. Is there any negative or some special feature that I should look for, am planning on getting one that can be easily removed & lockable
Then put slide bolts & possably cables on the inside of the tailgate. to get rid of the chains not sure on the cables yet.

#31423 02/01/06 03:16 PM
B
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
B
The only real negative on the hard tonneaus is they are heavy and you will need help to remove it. I have had occasions, such as hauling a 292 and needing to keep it up right, which required taking it off the truck.

My trucks have been wide boxes so there was no permanent modifications needed to install. With the narrow, single metal bed, I am not sure how it would mount.

Inliner #1916
#31424 02/01/06 04:05 PM
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
They mount & dismount very easy with the under the rail slide fastners. No drilling required. I agree, that you will need another person to take the top off if needed. The top is not too heavy but is awkward due to their size. Mine is fitted for the 6 1/2" bed on my Dakota.

Bruce,

I too hauled a few 292's in a cradle and you can bungy cord the tonneau down. Be sure to place a piece of foam between the motor and the inside of the cover. They say never to drive with a Tonneau in the lifted position, but if it's not too high(over the roof of your cab) then you should be ok.
No wild driving or drag racing with it in the up position and be sure to secure it on both sides and the back.(3-way) That way it won't torque and bounce.
If you're just going around town, it should be no problem. If your planning to drive on the freeway for an extended time period, I'd remove the top.

RapRap
1940 ChoppedChevyCoupe

PS- I just thought of something. Check out www.stylinconcepts.com They have quite few different types of hard covers including a neat sectioned roll back type. That way you would never have to take the top off.

Loud Pipes Saves Lives!
#31425 02/01/06 09:02 PM
S
step67 Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
S
Thanks Bruce & Chop 40, for the info will check styleconcepts.com
Bruce I'm not sure how they attach to a step side either, would think it bolts on edge of bed top side behind rail tubes ?? But I will find out.
Thanks guys

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 420 guests, and 30 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SSG Pohlman, castironphil, uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101
6,786 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available