Rate Thread
#31901 02/20/03 08:44 PM
D
DevilZ Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
D
I have 1976 Datsun 280Z with a mildly moddified 2.8L inline six. I plan to build a bored and stroked 3.1L Nissan inline six. Am I welcome on this website or is this a strictly American Car website? Thanks for any input, I'm just curious.

------------------

K
Contributor
Contributor
K
I dunno, this may be a sorta gray area for some folks here. While I have to admit to having a Volvo inline six in my daily driver, it ain't what I would call a project vehicle.

I've heard rumours about an Inliner officer who has had one of these "rising sun" vettes in their garage. And, I can confirm that an Inliner from Texas showed up in Denver in 2001 with a Nissan inline six in a vintage ('39?) Chevy sedan.

Anyone else? Kinky6.

D
DevilZ Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
D
 Quote:
Originally posted by Kinky6:
I dunno, this may be a sorta gray area for some folks here. While I have to admit to having a Volvo inline six in my daily driver, it ain't what I would call a project vehicle.

I've heard rumours about an Inliner officer who has had one of these "rising sun" vettes in their garage. And, I can confirm that an Inliner from Texas showed up in Denver in 2001 with a Nissan inline six in a vintage ('39?) Chevy sedan.

Anyone else? Kinky6.
You have any pics of that? I'd like to see that!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hey, an Inline Motor qualifies as an Inliner to me!
Welcome aboard.
One of my buddies in the early 70's had a 240Z and man, they were quick. I have a buddy now that races a heavily modified 240Z and keeps up with the 930's. It would shut down most cars on the street today and especially the 302 powered one he has as a sleeper. I once owned a 710 coupe that I Swapped the 1800 for 2000 OHC/5-speed, lowered it 4", and customized the body. It had dual webers on it and I even split the manifold. On a 4 cylinder? It kinda sounded like 2 Yamaha 650's. So as you can see, any inline qualifies as an true Inliner.

RapRap
1940 Chevy Coupe

[This message has been edited by raprap (edited 02-21-2003).]

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
PS-I owned and built this "Wild Thing" when I lived in California and used it as my daily driver for over 10 years! Yes, I got a lot of weird looks even in California. Don't laugh too much. It moved pretty good down the highway and it got 30MPG!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
OK since Kinky6 has blown my cover, I'll admit to having an early 1970 Z - bought new in Oct 1969, all original, down to the wheel covers & skinny tires - The 2400 OHC motor with twin SUs, 150 Hp and a curb weight under 2400 lbs means this is still a fast, good-handling car, well-suited to trolling for rice but I don't do that much anymore. Damn Acuras are getting pretty quick!

J
Contributor
Contributor
J
A couple of weeks ago, I was coming up I-95 near Cocoa, Fl.. A new Corvette and an older Z car with a turbo decal on the rockers (looked to be O.E.M.) slowed behind me (lots of traffic too!) and light 'em off. The Z looked to be holding it's own. They did this twice, then moved around me in traffic, slowed down(I was down to around 35-40 mph behind them)and took off again. Vette only pulled about a fender on the Z. The Z only had 1 tailpipe so I assumed it was a stocker. Either way, It was a runner.
Jim

Jim - #2130
D
DevilZ Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
D
 Quote:
Originally posted by Kinky6:

Anyone else? Kinky6.
You would'nt have a photo of that or know where I could find a pic of Datsun L series in an old hot-rod would you?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I received this note from Mike Yoder of Kansas Kustoms. Mike thanks for the report on your project and we hope to see some progress photos before long! Sounds like a fun project.

Jack ,
Enjoyed the discussion on the b-board about the jap-inliners. My latest project will make it to a convention if we're back to Denver in a couple of years but it may raise some eyebrows. I'm building this
little hot-rod fenderless 35 Ford pick-up. Chopped top, stretched body, short bed, long hood but with fairly traditional running gear (old !) Its got a dropped axle @ the front with drum brakes, leaf spring, drilled axle & wishbones. The rear is a 36 ford housing, modified for ford 9" pickup axles and open
drive line. Wheels are 35 ford 16"-big tires on the back, little ones on the front. The frame is sorta 32 ford, tig welded from laser cut flat plates, every thing is powder coated (A guy who runs a powder coat shop saw the project and wanted to "sponsor" me).

Its got a S10 5-speed with v-6 bell housing hooked up to a Olds Quad-4. the quad looks sorta like an Offie once you get all the junk of of it( and turn it North-South-the way God intended engines to run). I'm also using the stock fuel inj. and am designing indvidual butterflies and stacks for it.

I get tired of the same old thing in the street rod world, so my concept was something on a traditional theme, different body style, reasonable performance (180 hp stock) and hi MPG (my kids live on the west coast). I really find the Model B FORD bangers interesting but I needed a motor
that I could replace for $500 or less.

So far I've got the complete rolling chassis-the body should come together this year. So far the only photos I've got are of the frame in the jig. (if any one is interested in CAD design-laser cut stuff, I will share the info).

This may be something of interest to post on the site later.

OK, back to my comments-is it an Inliner? Not in the traditional sense, but at least I've got em ALL_IN_A_ROW!

I wanted to respond on the b-board but its too frustrating for me to work the deal-I'm cyber-illiterate.

If any of this rambling may be of interest to others, feel free to pass it on.

Later, Mike Yoder

[This message has been edited by Jack (edited 02-28-2003).]

P
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
P
I started on a V8Z and found this site http://www.hybridz.org/phpBB2/index.php
They cater to all Z cars and even have a few good general engine swapping tips like the Taurus 2 speed electric fan.

G
Contributor
Contributor
G
Mike Yoder wrote;
"...It's got a S10 5-speed with v-6 bell housing hooked up to a Olds Quad-4. the quad looks sorta like an Offie once you get all the junk of of it( and turn it North-South-the way God intended engines to run). I'm also using the stock fuel inj. and am designing indvidual butterflies and stacks for it...."

Mike, you may want to look at this website regarding aftermarket Quad 4 engine components http://www.quad4rods.com John Ehrlich has all sorts of adapters, bellhousings, side-draft manifolds, a distributor conversion, etc.

John is also making similar components for the new all-aluminum dohc Ford Duratec and the Ford Zetec. Both are inline four cylinders. The Duratec is a Cosworth-inspired design that was intended for Formula 1 and only weighs about 200 pounds.

That friend of yours that owns the powdercoat shop...does his name happen to be Bontrager?

Greetings from Chapman, Kansas!
Best regards,
Gerry Dedonis

PS...For the record, I view any engine with inline cylinders an "Inliner". The question might be what about rotary engines? Their rotors are inline too. ;>)

[This message has been edited by Gerry (edited 03-01-2003).]

B
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
B
great to see someone using a differant powerplant in a rod,chev and ford v's are so boring!!hey all you rodders use your imagination!!steve

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
my2cents imports are bad enough Lets not even start on rotorys.I may stand be hind a import far behind but at least they still sound have way decent. Rotorys Forget it.
100% USA here & Chevy }[oooooo]

------------------
NovaMan/Twisted6/Larry

Larry/Twisted6
[oooooo] smile
Adding CFM adds boost smile
shocked God doesn't like ugly.
B
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
B
I personal see no problem with foreign inlines. The Australian's have some extremely cool motors and performance parts. While I do not necessarily go for the Tuners, the mods and performance of some of the Supras and Nissan Skylines are unbelievable. I also seem to remember a Jag powered roadster and Fiat Abarth in the Twelve Port News.

There are probably a group of Inliners that think any motor newer than 62 should not be allowed, yet they put up with us "modern" motors......

Inliner #1916
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Just so I'm not miss understood I'm all for just about any inline I just don't like rotorys Sure they run great numbers just cant stand the sound of them. I'd rather listen to Jr. dragsters all day. And I am very impressed by alot of the import L6 and as for HP I think they have always been way ahead of us Especialy in head design. So I would Welcome all of them to the club.
}[oooooo]

------------------
NovaMan/Twisted6/Larry

Larry/Twisted6
[oooooo] smile
Adding CFM adds boost smile
shocked God doesn't like ugly.
I
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
I
Joe,
The Texas fella refered to is Don (Red) Taylor (raggedred2@yahoo.com) up here in the DFW area. He has a Nissan powered (700R4) 39 Chevy 2 door with Jag 4 wheel independent suspension and home brewed 3x2 TBI. That's pretty cool but, his DAILY DRIVER is a Nissan 6 powered 1917 Dodge roadster body on a Chevy Luv truck frame. This rig has home brewed 6 port electronic fuel injection using Kawasaki MC throtle bodies on a Weber intake.

Steve Wyatt
1936 Ford highboy PU 300/C4 Ford 6
1957 Ford F-100 300/AOD Ford 6
This is one inline engine junkie that bleeds Ford blue.
D
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
D
Well it does say International so it'll have to mean cars as well as people \:\) . The best foreign car I ever owned was a 1970 DATSUN 240Z with a lot of Bob Sharp and Pete Brock replacements.I ran a close ratio 5 speed,4:11 limited slip, modified Mikunis,full on suspension, body stuff.Man that car ran. I had great fun time trialing at places like Summit Point,WV and Lime Rock,CT. I had more money then sense too.L.O.L.
My heart sunk when they became Nissans although owning a big Z today wouldn't be too shabby!

Drew
Mid-Atlantic Chapter
S
Newcomer
Newcomer
S
Being a newcomer to this forum I would like to post something of interest.
My car in the caribean (aruba)is a 1970 nissanZ with a 292inline 6.This thing has a powerglide with trans lock which we drive on the street.
Best time so far in the quarter was 13.60 with the differential hanging out of his mount.
We drive steet legal category on street radials.
we've blown doors of many 300 z and camaro's .Love it because a lot of people believe six in a row won't go.
We'll be back next year since I live in holland.Keep up with this inliners heaven.
Will keep you guys informed

D
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
D
Now that's an interesting match ! \:D

Drew
Mid-Atlantic Chapter
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
Would be great to see how you fitted a 292 Inline under the hood of a Nissan Z car. Do you have any pics available?

Ontario Inliners
1965 Chevelle
1940 Chev
1965 Chev Pick-up
1970 MGB Roadster

S
Newcomer
Newcomer
S
Hi guys :
A 292 inline chevy will fit withou any problems in the engine bay.Actually the Z body has a bulge that with a little modification (air scoop )will fit fine a go almost unnoticed.
Sorry I haven't posted specs:
292inline bored 0.60 over with stock modified rods
3 webers 48mm carbs,crank lightened, polished,balanced ,clifford dual pattern mechanical 302/310.Head lump port ,ported polished.small chamber 194 cubic inch.
Compression 11.8:1
Car runs on the street with a mixture of aviation gas(yes we can still get it from friends at the airport),unleaded high octane +lead additives and open headers.
As you understand it only sees light in the late the evenings.Nobody messes with this thing on the street over there
Will try to make photo's since i'm leaving for vacation tommorrow.Hope we can have some racing since the season of street legal starts in february.Plans for future are Modify diff mount and ad a nissan 4.08 gears with double traction.
And yes i know its strange to see that two brothers of the caribean have fun with a inline six
Everybody a fine and healthy new year.
Your truly Sixology

B
Contributor
Contributor
B
i have thought of a jag 6 in an trackroadster. would look like a miller. the quad 4 would be a nice one too or one out of a miata bouth would look like a miller or offy if cleaned up and the markings removed.

G
Contributor
Contributor
G
 Quote:
Originally posted by bob308:
i have thought of a jag 6 in an trackroadster. would look like a miller. the quad 4 would be a nice one too or one out of a miata bouth would look like a miller or offy if cleaned up and the markings removed.
John Ehrlich of http://www.quad4rods.com makes some neat conversions (carbureted, stand alone ignition, rear and mid-engine drivelines, etc.) for Rods and Roadster enthusiasts who want to use a lightweight inline Ford engine such as the 245 pound dohc Zetec or the 200 pound all-aluminum dohc Duratec.

John's love has always been the GM Quad 4. This past year he set a land speed record with a Quad 4-powered roadster at Bonneville.

Regards,
Gerry Dedonis
Kansas Racing Products Inc.
http://www.kansasracingproducts.com

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 224 guests, and 44 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil, uncle dave, trustedmedications20
6,787 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available