Rate Thread
#31941 03/30/03 08:33 PM
D
Ducky Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
D
Why an in-line? I started this in the Engines Forum, and would like to see some more discussion here. If we're really honest, it is a lot easier to go fast with a V-8. Some of the engines I've had in the past: 348 Chevy, 3x2 carbs; 394 Olds, Isky roller, 2x4AFB carbs, 'hydro' trans; 327 365hp Corvette, 427 400hp Corvette.

So why is there a 1949 Chevy Coupe sitting in my garage, 216 with 2x1 (soon to be 3X1) carbs, Fentons, mild cam, stock drive train..this to be replaced this winter (I hope!) with a 235/Saginaw 4sp and open driveline?

Why not stuff a small block Chevy in the thing??

Something different is my big motivation. Like some of the folks here, I remember the 'old days'; Buicks in Fords, Oldsmobiles in Chevys, Cadillacs in Fords, Chryslers (with 6-71 superchargers) in Willys Coupes, and tranmission/driveline combinations too numerous to mention.

So why not, let's say, a Buick nail-head in the '49 Chev (I always liked the 'look' of that engine)? Could you imagine FINDING one, then actually finding speed parts, not to mention getting a trans adapter (no, I'm not going to use a Dyanaflow)? I think you can see where I'm going with this. For some lucky reason there are enough of us interested in the old Chev 6 to keep the Stovebolt alive (and I know there are other engines represented here)

A modified 6 was a viable engine on the street until late 1954 when the Chevy V-8 arrived. It even survived for a while for those with a limited budget, not being able to afford a new car, and having to build their own. That was me, sitting in high school in the late '50s imagining my mom's 1951 Chevy 2door with dual exhausts, dual carbs, and me in the drivers seat!!

So here I am, still crawling around under a car, doing most of my own work, just for the fun of it. My Chev will never be a show car, but will give me hours of fun just working on it. I've got it to the point where I'm doing some minor body work - it only has 60,000 miles on it and has been stored in my barn for the last 18 years - but is running and licensed. I get the most fun from showing it to guys my age; when I open the hood (recently louvered!) they just laugh and say "I haven't seen one of those since..".

The neatest 6 combination I ever saw was a Jaguar XK 120 engine with a 4sp in a '48 Chevy Coupe; now there is a combination that would be something to see today!

So how about the rest of you? Why the inline?

I did NOT break the tank(s)!
#31942 03/30/03 11:51 PM
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
I got into the L6 mainly Because i got bored with doing the vthing & the Same O Same O. And on top of that my 64 SS chevy2/Nova came with a L6 and a power glide.Which has now been replaced with a 4speed along time ago.And I also like the idea of seeing just how far i can go or fast i can go with one of these L6s. But I think the best thing is seeing the look on peoples Face when I come driving into a show with my 12 pack (3x4s) intune. And now i think I'll have even more fun with it when i get this new motor finished. And maybe one of these years I'll get back to finishing the body & what nots LOL I have owned many chevy2s/Novas From 62-70 two of them being SS cars first SS one was a BB 396 punched to a 427.My other SS which is this one (my 64) came with a L6 And it being the first L6 I ever built not being in stock trim. And I built it 17 years ago So yeah thats why I'm building a new/fresh one. And I'm going to tweek everthing just a little bigger. lol little bigger cam little more comp. lump ports just to name a few LOL.

Well hope this helps in why I do it.}[oooooo]
And besides I like being different LOL

Ps Not Same O Same O boring stuff and Looks from everyone. the vthing is like a butt Everybody has one. LOL But who has a nice high out put L6 with a 12 to go LOL sorry I gota luv it. and Ya know i do and smileing the whole 1/4 mile ) }[oooooo]

------------------
NovaMan/Twisted6/Larry

Larry/Twisted6
[oooooo] smile
Adding CFM adds boost smile
shocked God doesn't like ugly.
#31943 03/31/03 12:15 AM
O
Contributor
Contributor
O
Never gave it much thought till one day my brother suggested we put something together for 6 cyl drag racing, something to do upon retirement. Then it clicked. I remembered the Chevy fastback we co-owned in high school. Then thought back to the pioneers of early dry lakes modifieds,the NHRA gasser wars,Kay Sissels beautiful roadster battling the Ford sixes. Also the sound and simplicity and the look, and the challenge. Probably not one reason, but all of the above. At amost age 60 I tore down my first engine several months ago to use to set up the car. What a blast.And it just keeps getting better.

Jerry....I.I.# 3540
'27 T Nostalgia roadster
#31944 03/31/03 12:09 PM
D
Ducky Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
D
 Quote:
Originally posted by Twisted6:
But I think the best thing is seeing the look on peoples Face when I come driving into a show with my 12 pack (3x4s) intune.

three (3) four-barrel carbs?!!! YIKES!

Can you post a picture? I'd like to see that. What size carbs?

[This message has been edited by Ducky (edited 03-31-2003).]

I did NOT break the tank(s)!
#31945 03/31/03 01:52 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Twisted 6 is not so twisted!
Doing something that other people are not doing is what makes your car/truck stand out. Yea, it costs more, parts aren't as available, looks funny, but when you get wide grins when your hood is opened, it's all worth it!

I've been a "Modifier" my whole life. I cannot leave anything stock. V-8's really give you plenty-o-power but when done correctly, so does a inline. As I look back in my car history, I was a closet inliner my whole life and never new it! Check my list;

1958 Impala (1st car hand me down)283-270hp
2x4 intake, headers, cam
1962 Olds Jetfire 215-215hp Turbocharged
1962 Austin Healy 3000 MII Inline 6
3x1 Solex's
1962 VW Dune Buggy 1400cc-40hp
1960 Dodge Seneca 225-slant six left Stock
(hand me down #2)
1967 Olds Cutlass 250-185hp 4 bbl & split
header
1970 Olds Ralleye 350 350-370hp FAST!
1974 Datsun 710 2000cc-180hp twin webers &
split header
1991 Voyager Van Company car v-6 200hp!
1993 GranAm GT 2300 Quad4 210 hp chip,header
1940 Buick Special/320 Roadmaster motor/
compound carbs Nice sound!
1940 Chevy Coupe 216-100hp dual W-1's,
Fentons, now 292-300hp, 3x2's, split
Headers Hot Setup!

So as you can see, I've had my share of inlines and have always modified them someway to give it it's individual character.
Get INLINE. Gee, my teachers used to yell that at me all the time!

RapRap
1940 Chevy Coupe

#31946 03/31/03 04:50 PM
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
http://www.memorylaners.homestead.com/3x4intake.html here is that link for those who have not seen it. The carbs are 450 holleys stock out of the box. and at 90% throtle The carbs will run dry because a 3/8 fuel can not feed them enough fuel. As i now start on my new motor. I will be adding a 1/2in. while the motor is out of my way . And because of the lack of fuel line size AT 90% throtle and at the end of 1/4 run the plugs look as if i just took them out of the box. But you can tell they where run only because of the Blue tips Not a good sign LOL but hey at least I didn't end up with any wholes LOL
anyway I'm haveing fun LOL }[oooooo]

------------------
NovaMan/Twisted6/Larry

[This message has been edited by Twisted6 (edited 03-31-2003).]

Larry/Twisted6
[oooooo] smile
#31947 03/31/03 07:44 PM
K
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
K
I've gone to the local car cruises and shows forever and most everybody runs a small block with a four-barrel. I was one of them, but I really did not enjoy working on those knuckle-buster V-8's. When I was 15 years old I knew every hot rod in town. One guy in a'57 Chevy BA 2-dr hardtop had a sound all his own. I loved listening to that car as it went through the gears and down the street with a sound all it's own. 235 with two aces, manual tranny with hurst shifter and glasspack muffler. It took me three decades but now I am the six-cylinder guy in town. No more V-8's for me. The inline six is so easy to work on and will go forever. My '77 Chevelle 250 has almost 250,000 on her and is now my winter rat. The head has never been off the motor and the engine and automatic transmission have never been separated or rebuilt. It has never leaked motor oil or tranny fluid from the seals. I have replaced the valve cover gasket I think twice. My current ride is a '74 Chevelle Coupe I brought back cross-country from Tucson Arizona. Factory swivel buckets, tilt wheel, floor shift, sport mirrors and ice cold A/C. I could not wait to yank the original 400 knuckle buster small block and drop in a 250 with 700r4 tranny, even though it did take me three years to find the A/C brackets for the 250.!! I have affectionately named her "Project 74". I knew people were talking about me and they would ask me the same question - why on earth are you driving around in that 6 cylinder '74 Chevelle when you have a '66 Corvette Roadster and a '72 Corvette Coupe in your garage? My answer - Because I Can.!! I have since sold both Corvettes. My next project is a 250 (or maybe a 235 like in the '53 - '55 Vettes) into a '62 Corvette. The '55 235 Corvette is a scarce bird since the new 283 small block was optional that year and the dealer's jumped on it. The early 55's had sixes but before long the assembly line workers were dropping mostly 283's into them. Add the fact that there were only 700 '55 Corvettes produced - mainly because of Ford's new '55 V8 Thunderbird which sold many thousands and had GM scrambling to re-design the Corvette for '56, and you don't see many original '55 235 Corvettes around. Sorry I rambled on so long but I do love my Inline Sixes'.
Ken

Ken

#31948 03/31/03 11:15 PM
B
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
B
main reason for loving inlines is because they are different.people say rods are different-are you kidding!most are kit cars running the same v engines that you buy on the shelf(or in a crate)you can have the fastest chev v8 un the world and nobody cares!(not at a rod run with 100's of cars 90+%of which are v8 powered).but seeing an inline really stirs the blood and best of all they are all different.as far as going fast it's only a matter of money!!

#31949 04/01/03 02:59 AM
S
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
S
As soon as I got my beater 74 Chevy stepside pick-up, with the sick six and lunched 3 speed, everyone just assumed I would throw the traditional 350 in it.

After checking the engine out I found it only needed a new head and a trans. I figured it would be easier and cheaper to fix the six and replace the trans.

I needed the truck for a parts chaser for my 69 Riviera GS and other projects so a stout engine wasn't on my list.

Much to my surprise I found this small 250 engine to be a real runner. I put a mild cam in and a 3X1 manifold with dual exhaust. I came across a rebuilt Saginaw 4 speed for 250 bucks and threw this all together for less than the cost of a rebuilt 350.

Hmmmmmm.... I wonder if a 292 would fit in the Buick

8's are great, but a 6 is sweet...
#31950 04/01/03 02:48 PM
P
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
P
After reading the posts everyday I think I might be one of the younger Inliners...

If so, why don't I get a V8 to drop in my '69 Camaro? Why not get a Crate V8 that will have more get-up-n-go than my old 250? Why not follow the crowd? Or get a "Tuner" car with go-faster-stripes and a big wing on a front wheel drive car? (A Wing on a front wheel drive car? DUMB!)

Simple really...

I'm different. I never follow the crowd. I like to shock people. Plus I'm keeping the car as it was purchased, with a few mods and options thrown in...

I've read the posts about getting rid of the Slush Boxes... I'm keeping my Powerglide too! Those things are bullet proof if you build them right. But why keep the old 250 with over 100k before the rebuild and 50k after the rebuild with lots of beat-run time on it? Well...

I rebuilt the 250 because it was cheaper than finding a 350 V8 in a boneyard and rebuilding it and not knowing who's it was, what it went through, and what problems it might give in the future. Plus my Dad talked me into keeping the 250 with tails of how L6's served him for years before V8's came out and took over.

There was 40 years between my Dad and me. He's gone now... He told me of how they hand built our family cabin in the northwoods of Wisconsin and hauled everything up with his old car, a big trailer, and an old L6 that just wouldn't quit. He told me of running the poor thing dry of oil and wondering why it was running sluggish until he pulled in for gas and checked the dipstick. A few quarts and they were back doing 70+mph up to the cabin, trailer in tow. No speed limits on HWY 51 back then...

My Mother drove me downtown to register me for school one year and threw the belt. (Back in '88) Here we are, downtown with no extra money (parents didn't believe in credit cards), and steam pouring out of the hood. She called the Shop and they told her to let it cool and drive it for a bit then let it cool again or pull over if the ENGINE light comes on. We registered me, went and fired the car up, and drove 30 minutes to the Shop. The guys were suprised that we didn't seize the motor or blow a hose. She told them that the ENGINE light never came on so she kept driving. They let it cool (It was red hot) and put on a new belt. Oil was fine, gold and smelled ok, so they didn't think we burned a bearing, and we went home.

That old L6 served me well for seven years until I blew the brake lines. I new that to save the car it HAD to be parked and restored from the ground up and it would take time. Its backed into the garage and I'm hoping to start by yanking the motor and tranny this summer then stripping the body and whatever else I can get done before winter.

I hope in a few years the garage will give birth to my resto'ed Camaro with a PHAT250Six between the fenders. Old Sixes never die... They just get modded!

------------------
(O)2(O)5(O)0(O)S(O)I(O)X
PHAT250Six
Git in! Sit Down! Shut Up! Hang On!
And when in doubt... STICK YER FOOT IN IT!

[This message has been edited by PHAT250Six (edited 04-01-2003).]

(O)2(O)5(O)0(O)S(O)I(O)X
PHAT250Six
250 L6 in a '69 Camaro
#31951 04/01/03 03:26 PM
B
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
B
Why an Inline? It started with a stupid comment I made to Walt Skoczylas and Dave Watkins that the only way I would do a six would be in a Chevy II. Next thing I know, I am a member of Inliners International, Dave finds a great 66 Chevy II in Portland and Bruce Murray is building me a motor. Now ~ 8 years later that car is gone and I have a 63 Chevy II drag car.

Why still an Inline? Because a 12 second six either amazes or pisses people off!!

Inliner #1916
#31952 04/01/03 09:16 PM
K
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
K
PHAT, which car is the one that dropped the belt? When I was about fourteen years old I watched a guy in a '54 Chevy Sedan with the original Inline Six try his best to blow the motor. It was on a farm and he had what he referred to as a "lot" out back where he had sort of a "dirt track". He was sick of the '54 "lot car" and with no oil in the motor tried his darndest to blow that six but he couldn't. I couldn't believe it as everyone was cheering him on and I watched in horror. I was rooting for the six, all the way. My parents never had a car so I could not understand why someone would intentionally try to destroy one. After the guy gave up trying to make that six come apart I tried to buy that '54 as a surprise for my parents but it didn't work out. I think the asking price was $5 !!! I got my first car - '57 Chevy Bel-air 2 dr Hardtop with 283 and powerglide when I turned sixteen and a few years later brought my Dad, now age 52, down to the DMV, got his permit, took him out driving, got his license and went with him and got his first car - a 4-door Chrysler Hardtop. It was role reversal! The Chrysler surrendered after about a year or two and from then on I had him hooked on Chevy's. That '57 with the 283 I bought for myself is long gone but I remember doing my darndest to find one with a six but couldn't. I had to settle for a V-8 ! Not too many '57 Bel-Air 2 dr hardtops with the 235 !!
Ken

#31953 04/01/03 10:03 PM
K
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
K
In almost four decades of drag racing one of the most memorable cars I ever saw was an Altered with a Ford Straight Six - - - - and the owner/driver - - - - a girl !!!! Car ran in the high twelves's all day long.
Twisted6 - VERY NICE PICS !! - - and you're pretty good with that camera.!! Ken

#31954 04/01/03 10:05 PM
K
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
K
p.s. Your new six would look great in the 12 Port.!
Ken

#31955 04/01/03 10:27 PM
J
Contributor
Contributor
J
Ken, that's a great story about trying to blow up a 6. I've got a Goodwrench 292 (hencho en Mexico) that was installed in a drycleaners truck, one of those slab-sided P10 vans. They brought it in with a knock in the middle of the motor, assuming it had a bad crank or rod bearing (120,000+ miles). One of the other wrenches in the shop got the job, and we ordered another crate motor. When all of the parts arrived, he told everybody "watch this!" and proceeded to use a 8 ft long 2x4 to mash the throttle down (in park) while he stood out of line with anything that might come out the side. That engine wound up to about 6 grand and sat there huming like a sewing machine! A huge cloud of black crud shot out of the exhaust and then cleared up. Everybody was hollering and rooting for the engine to blow except me. So after about a minute or 2 of this full-throttle stuff, the guy gets pissed and lets it idle... voila! no knock. It was carbon buildup on a piston top. We put in the new motor, and I got a spare engine that I ended up using for about 4 years. That block is now stripped and going back into the truck soon with a Deppe head and turbos. Yeah 292's!

------------------
David
newbie #4153

David
newbie #4153
#31956 04/02/03 12:54 AM
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Well thanks Ken B. Well the car/Motor has been very good to me for the last 17yrs thats when i built that motor was 17yrs ago. and Time for a new build. That motor still runs at 30 psi at idel and around 60 psi on the top end. The car has been mentioned a few times in the 12 port. But Yes the New motor may very well end up in the 12 port once i finish the Lump port tech for the 12 port Because some of the pictures for the tech well becomeing from a cut up head and The head that will end up on the new motor.
I should be done with both in a few Mos. so keep a eye out for it.

Again Thanks To every one here who has voiced there imputs about my web site and Postings here. I also have a small artical that should be coming up in a issue of the 12 port Which is a little bit about myself and how I came about becomming a inliner Full Time. But anyway so for the long windedness. But I'm just glad to help. And you all know That I tell it straight up and Pull no punchs And I surely don't deal No BS And I do my best to keep all inline on and off the board.
Tc= take care have fun }[oooooo]

------------------
NovaMan/Twisted6/Larry

Larry/Twisted6
[oooooo] smile
#31957 04/02/03 04:19 AM
P
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
P
Ken B: It was the '69 Camaro of course! I forgot what made it worse was that it hit over 100 degrees in Milwaukee that day. I think it was in '86 now that I think of it 'cuz I was 16 at the time and I didn't start driving until 18... Pop wouldn't let me get a license until I could pay for it and keep up with insurance! *grumbles*

just a six: wOOt! wOOt! GO 292! My wife wants a '70 Chevelle with a 454 in it. I'm going to try and talk her into a L6 "Big Block" 292 if I can find a shell that just needs an engine. Wish me luck...

Twisted6: Nice site, nice pics, good job! I just got a digital camera and plan to document the whole experience of restoring my Camaro with lots of before and after pics and .AVI movies of the car at different stages of running. Camera shoots 30 second movies and has sound too! Best thing since sliced bread...

Anyone else got a story to share? Pull up a seat and read me a tall tail before bed time...

zzzzzzz!

------------------
(O)2(O)5(O)0(O)S(O)I(O)X
PHAT250Six
250 L6 in a '69 Camaro

(O)2(O)5(O)0(O)S(O)I(O)X
PHAT250Six
250 L6 in a '69 Camaro
#31958 04/02/03 11:40 AM
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
I race a six because I got laid off from my job. My SBC drag car had been breaking parts regularly and I knew I couldn't afford to race it while being unemployed. I bought a cherry '64 Falcon drag car, sold the race engine for what I paid for the car, and built up a budget 240. Beat some 'vettes and Mustangs. Bulletproof too. Way cool.

Sold the V8 roadster shortly thereafter.

FORD 300 inline six - THE BEST KEPT SECRET IN DRAG RACING!
#31959 04/02/03 12:45 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hey PHAT-

I saw your Profile and it places you in Milwaukee. Where in Milwaukee are you? I live in Menomonee Falls. Give me a call so we can hook up and meet. Great story of the "run-dry" motor. We did the same in High school. The motor smoked like burning tires. When the smoked cleared, some guy jumped in and drove it away!

Twisted- Nice intake, dude. When do we see a quad tunnel ram?

RapRap
1940 Chevy Coupe

#31960 04/02/03 05:23 PM
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
I'm remakeing that same intake to handle a turbo.(making it a little thicker) But tops can be swapped from a 3x4 to a Quad (2x4) When i finish that intake I'll get some pictures put up. }[oooooo]
All in fun.

------------------
NovaMan/Twisted6/Larry

Larry/Twisted6
[oooooo] smile
#31961 04/03/03 03:43 PM
K
Contributor
Contributor
K
Well, my '39 Chevy came with the old 216" in it, and I wanted to replace it with an antique looking six with the displacement of a small V8, so I went with a GMC 302".

The '66 Mustang fastback that I bought recently came with a little 200", so I'm going to heat it up some, instead of going to a 5.0-hum like everybody else. Shelby GT 350 clones are cool & all, but they've been, like, done already, ya know? Just for fun, I'll hang a sign in the back window:

"Ever have a little six in an old Mustang?"

Later, Kinky6.

#31962 04/05/03 04:41 AM
K
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
K
Everybody, GREAT STORIES. I've read each one at least four or five times. You guys would be a blast at a BBQ !!! And the Racetrack !!!
Twisted6 - can't wait to see you in the 12 Port.
PHAT250Six - please keep us posted.
justasix - what is a Deppe head?
Kinky6 - have you ever seen the movie THE HOLLYWOOD KNIGHTS? Six in a Mustang.
Goodnight,
Ken

#31963 04/06/03 05:32 AM
P
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
P
Awww com'on!

There has to be more stories out there!

Keep 'em comin'!

Anyone?

(O)2(O)5(O)0(O)S(O)I(O)X
PHAT250Six

[This message has been edited by PHAT250Six (edited 04-06-2003).]

(O)2(O)5(O)0(O)S(O)I(O)X
PHAT250Six
250 L6 in a '69 Camaro
#31964 04/07/03 02:26 AM
C
Contributor
Contributor
C
Here's another story. When I was about 10 years old I use to play at my uncles farm in a 37 chevy sedan. Non running of course. At about 15 years old I asked him to give the 37 to me. He said I could have it if I could get it running. It had a stripped fiber cam gear. I didn't know a thing about engines but by the time I got that gear changed I had learned quite a bit and got a car. Drove it a little then found girls, got married, had kids and the car sat for a number of years. When I finally got back to the car I knew the 216 was to tired and had a cracked head so i started looking for a 235. A friends brother had one in South Dakota that he thought was a good engine from a one ton truck. Paid $100.00 and got it back to Illinois. Found out it was a 261. Finally got the car on the road with the 261 and stock 3 speed, closed drive shaft with 373 gears. That was thirteen years ago. I'm now 52 years old. The car has since got a T5, 3.73 open drive shaft, two Holley 94's on a Edmunds manifold, homemade split exhaust with 2" stainless steel pipes scrounged form a food plant, steel wheels and baby moons. Lots of junk yard and swap meet parts. With all that history how could I be driving a V8.

Gael

Kinky6,,If your going to rebuild that 200 Ford send me an email I might have some stuff you can use, Chevyman1937@aol.com

------------------

Gael
37 chevy sedan, 261,t5
57 pickup
58 burb
#31965 04/07/03 03:42 AM
P
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
P
SOooooo....?

Are these going to be used in an issue of 12 Port News?

Good filler...

------------------
(O)2(O)5(O)0(O)S(O)I(O)X
PHAT250Six
250 L6 in a '69 Camaro

[This message has been edited by PHAT250Six (edited 04-06-2003).]

(O)2(O)5(O)0(O)S(O)I(O)X
PHAT250Six
250 L6 in a '69 Camaro
#31966 04/07/03 05:26 AM
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
How did I get into inlines? I guess I've been "inspired" by my uncle (& grandfather). My grandfather thought that the little sixes that for made in the '60s (144/170/200/250) were some of the best that ford had ever come out with. My uncle used to race with my grandmothers '62 falcon tudor. He put a tri-carbed 200 & a 4 spd in. He liked to race against big block V8s as he knew that he could always beet them off the line. He does say though, that after they got past about 90mph he was toast! I guess I like to do things a little differently as well. Seems like everytime I go to a car show, there's rows & rows of SBC & SBFs & thats it. Seems as though the only thing that is different about the cars is the paint. Not only that, but I love being able to work on my engine without having to take it out of the car! Take care,
Edwin
'63 & '65 red tudors
'84 F150 4x4
ps. stopped in Charolette saturday & saw the inliners display. nice to meet you guys, though I don't know how coherent I was after driving across the country!

'63 170 3spd red tudor
'65 200 auto red tudor
'84 F150 300 4x4
#31967 04/07/03 06:57 AM
K
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
K
I can add a bit to my '54 lot car story which took place in 1963 when I was about fourteen. Later that same summmer I saw a '56 Dodge four-door sedan with V-8 and if my memory is right bush button drive for sale about a half mile from my house. My parents never had a car and I figured I was the only kid in the whole school who's parents did not drive. It got worse as I realized many families had two or even three vehicles and we didn't even have one. I made a deal for the Dodge. I paid $30 for it and the guy agreed to deliver it to my house. I waited all day for my Dad to come home to see his 'surprise' parked in front of the house. He let me down gently as he explained that he appreciated what I had done but was not interested in being a car owner. He phoned the guy who sold me the car, explained what happened, and the car went back and I got the $30 back which I put back into the bank. I had a paper-route and was saving for the 1957 Chevy Bel-Air 2-door hardtop I had longed for. I even had purchased some accessories for it ahead of time. I had taken a bus into the City (Syracuse NY) months before my sixteenth birthday and picked up a driver's manual and an application for the permit. I memorized every word in that manual and the week I turned sixteen I was back on the bus to Syracuse with money in hand heading for the DMV. I got a perfect score on the written test and left the DMV that day with my permit. I will never forget it. Then reality set in. I had no one to take me out driving. No older brothers or sisters. I had plenty of relatives but they were all in Boston. A guy I knew from school had his license and just got his first car, a '56 Ford V-8 (292 I think) two-door sedan. I hardly knew him. By this time I'd had my permit for almost a year and hadn't driven once. One day the guy in the '56 Ford, Lee, stopped by my house. I remember him asking me why I hadn't told him about my permit and my dilemma. I explained that after watching my parents bumming rides from people all my life I just couldn't bring myself to impose on somebody. He walked me out to his car, handed me the keys, and said "let's go". My parents were happy for me. Then they laid it on me. A friend of their's was a car salesman and had convinced them a used Volvo he had on his lot would be the perfect first car for me. And he would be stopping over to take me for a test ride the next day. I was horrified but said nothing. My parents knew absolutely nothing about cars but they meant well and were of course trying to do the right thing. I spent the next 24 hours trying to figure out how to get out of the test ride but couldn't. I had taken me two or three years to save $800 from my paper route for that '57 and now I had to give it to a guy for a car I did not want. I waited on the front porch the next afternoon and sure enough I saw it coming down the street, a RED Volvo Sedan. OH NO !! I took my first step into manhood that day as my instincts must have taken over. He pulled up to the house and opened the passenger door for me. I got in and after the introductions just calmly told him the truth. I had my heart set on that '57 and the test ride was really just a waste of his time and money. He took me for a ride anyway and insisted I drive it just for fun. I never heard from him after that. By now I was seventeen and about ready to make my road test appointment. I was a senior in high school and taking Transportation Shop. We called it "T Shop". I was working part time after school at a Texaco Station for $1.25 an hour. Regular gas was 29 cents a gallon and high test 32 cents. There was plenty of room beind the school and any student who had a car could bring it up to the school and work on it during class. One of the guys had a '52 Chevy. We pulled, rebuilt and reinstalled the inline six. Then just after school started in September I found my '57. It was aqua with a white top and aqua interior. 54,000 miles. 283 and powerglide. $750. I could not find a '57 Bel-Air two-door hardtop with a 235. The car was in Syracuse and my Dad paid to have it towed the fifteen miles or so to the high school. I would get to work on my car during school hours! We cleaned it, serviced it, tuned it and painted it black. Then I took my road test in Lee's Ford. I remember he had put tape over the gear indicator window for the automatic transmission so I would have to learn by memory. Now that I had my license I needed insurance and got my first lesson in finances. I borrowed the $255 dollars I needed for insurance from the bank and when I got the payment book quickly realized repaying the bank $27 a month for 12 months = $324 payback. The best part of this whole story is suddenly, my parents, who never had a car, could not get through one day without having me running errands or taking them somewhere or picking them up! It was a great feeling not having them bumming rides anymore! And of course I was anxious and willing to do the driving. I also took my younger brother out driving and he got his license. Then I took my Dad, at age 52, down to the DMV to get his permit and license and his first car. My Mom did not want a license. Everyone in town had Crager's on their cars but I loved the Mickey Thompson 5-spoke Challenger wheels with the three prong spinners that look like knock-offs and put a set on the '57. They were $27 each at the local speed shop. I would keep this car forever. I kept it spotless. One day I noticed a small bubble above the side trim above the rear wheel. I figured the paint was lifting and poked it to see what would happen. My finger went right through the fender. I could not understand why. I thought if you kept the car clean it would never rust and last forever. Then someone told me it was rusting through from behind. Another day I will never forget. The Central New York Winter and the salt they drop onto the roads was eating my car. I was crushed. The '57 got me through college but by then she was badly rusted. I bought a '66 Corvette Roadster, 45,000 miles, 327/300 horse four-speed for $2000 and rented a garage to store the '57. I did not want to part with it but eventually gave her to a guy from out of town who said he might try to save her but if not could use it for parts. I said goodbye to the car I loved so much. Another day I will never forget. I had to put the Corvette away for the winters and have a second car. The only part of that '57 I saved were the Mickey Thompson wheels even though they also were ruined by the winter weather. Maybe you remember them. The spokes are aluminum and rivited to a chrome plated steel rim. The spokes are fine but the chrome lifts off the rim as it gradually rusts. The rivets are "twist rivets" and impossible to remove. After waiting for 30 years for someone to reproduce these wheels Radir Wheels in New Jersey did. The Radir's are one-piece aluminum and I have them on my '74 Chevelle. I get a lot of compliments on them.
In my high school shop class my friend had a '51 Plymouth with the flathead six and three on the tree manual tranny. The two of us did a four wheel brake job on her. When we finished he told me I could take the first drive to test the new brakes and he would watch. There was a big hill behind the school and I took her around the parking lot then down the hill and back up to the parking lot. My shop teacher, Mr. Cook, one of the greatest guys you could ever meet and my favorite teacher, was waiting for me and standing next to my friend. He had one question: "Ken, do you really think taking a car down a steep hill is the best way to test a fresh brake job?" I had to think fast and answered "I've got a lot of confidence in my work." He suggested I think before ever doing something like that again, then grinned and my friend laughed. That was 38 years ago. Incredibly last summer I spotted him at a car cruise. He remembered me. He didn't remember the brake job story but he told me a good one. He asked me if I ever heard about what two guys in my class, Jim and Buzzy, did to him. I said no. We were the last class of day. One afternoon as the class ended he was putting the tools away in the tool 'closet' after the students filed out of the shop. Suddenly the closet door slammed shut behind him and somehow locked. He was trapped in the closet and even with a closet full of tools could not get out. He was in there for quite a few hours before finally the janitor heard him pounding on the door. He was not happy and he did catch the guys who did it - Jim and Buzzy.
My friend Lee and I both have our own families now of course and now our kids are driving. Every once in a while I remind them if it wasn't for your Dad I might have never gotten my license! Goodnight,
Ken

#31968 04/07/03 09:00 PM
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
Lots of good reading here. Like to read about other guys introductions to Inlines. Mine was kinda inherited as my dad use to race a '39 Chev coupe with a 270"GMC in it at the local oval tracks. He also towed with a '39 Chev coupe that was powered with a "Jimmy" because you never know when you would need extra parts. I remember the story of the race car that needed a rad one nite to make it to the feature. Many a night he would be flat towing the car home and somebody had to try and beat him him thru the light. I don't ever remember getting beat but I am sure there must have been someone at one time. My brother like to do the Sat. evening "drags" out at some desolate strip of highway with all the local hot rodders. His ride was a '54 Chev 2 dr sedan with a 261 bored .090" over, larger valves, cam, headers and 2 carb intake along with the old 4 speed Hydro trans from the pickup trucks. Man, when that thing shifted with your foot in it, you were back against the seat. Biggest fun with it was when the racing was done and he had beat up on a couple of 300HP 327 4 spd Impalas and 390 cu in Galaxie's, he would lift the hood to show them what they had been beat by. My '40 Chev street rod started out with a stock 250" Inline with a Saginaw 4 spd and it worked great until we started towing a 30' house trailer and I thought I needed a V8. Sadly it is still in the '40 but will be changed. In the meantime, the '54 Bel Air HTP custom that I bought has the correct motor(250 with the 4 spd, headers and a 4bbl) and my pickup truck has the 292 with 5 spd and my oval race car has a 250 Inline in it. Heck, even the wife's pride and joy has an Inline (1972 MGB Roadster). My son thinks a little different, we will have to work on him some more.
It's like the other guys were saying, it is real nice to be different and get away from the "belly-button" motors.

------------------
Ontario Inliners

1940 Chev Sedan
1954 Chev Custom
1965 Chev Pick-up

Ontario Inliners
1965 Chevelle
1940 Chev
1965 Chev Pick-up
1970 MGB Roadster

#31969 04/07/03 09:29 PM
J
Contributor
Contributor
J
KenB,

You asked what a Deppe head is. There's a guy named Joe Deppe in Indiana that sells roundy-round 4-bangers to compete with the Fontana circle track engines and such. He also has aluminum heads and blocks for Chevy L6's. My understanding, and this may or may not be correct, is they are either copies or updates on the Duggan engine. I found him about a year ago, way before I found this website and FANTASTIC organization.

I ordered a head from him some time back for my next-generation 292, but haven't recieved it yet. The photographs he sent of the parts have the ports appearing to be about as big as a modern big-block prostock head. Except it's 12-port, all on the same side (driver's), with the intakes pointed 45 degrees up and the exhausts pointed in the normal horizontal direction. If it ever comes, I'll be a happy man!

------------------
David
newbie #4153

David
newbie #4153
#31970 04/11/03 11:34 PM
C
Contributor
Contributor
C
My older brother got me into L6's when he bought a jeep with a 4 cylinder. He switched to a L6 and the rest is history!

The best thing about it was the "thought you had a V8" deal. Happened to me bro all the time. I remember thinking..."that's cool how V8 junkies think it's an 8." I wanted the same deal and to make me bro proud.

Now I'm talkin with V8 folks and it's pretty cool.

Went to the track yesterday for the first time. Scroll down to the bottom. It took me about 4 minutes with DSL.

Enjoy the show and the music...LOL...and that's the reason why I dig L6's...

Ctown www.fungusworks.com/TheShow/html/engine.html

#31971 04/14/03 12:39 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
As you may have noticed, we are having some problems with this message board and the site in general. Please bear with us as we get these problems sorted out. We are working with our ISP to reaolve everything and hope to be "Up to Speed" again soon.

#31972 04/15/03 02:52 AM
Contributor
Contributor
I got my first inliner when I was 14, in 1981. It was a '53 Chevy 3100 pickup with a stock 235 and 4 speed. I drove the truck through high school and college with the stock setup (48 mph wide open), and it never broke down in that 12 years. When I got out of college, I got street rod fever and, replaced the 6 with a mild 350, TH350, mustang II suspension, etc. I still have the truck, and drive it daily. But, I really miss the character of the truck, that is now gone, it just isn't the same ol diehard friend that I bought with lawn mowing money 22 years ago. And, now I have two kids that won't fit in the ol truck for a family rod run. So, I started looking for a new family cruiser. When I came across a barn fresh '50 plymouth special deluxe four door, I passed it up thinking it was two stodgy, the kind of car a granny might drive, and underpowered with a flathead six 218. But it kept nagging at the back of my mind until I finally went and drove it, just for grins. Its been 2 1/2 years since I bought the '50 ply now, and I'm putting it together on weekends and lunch hours when I can. The flathead looked more like a 50 year old furnace than an engine when I first looked at it. I've rebuilt it, collected a bunch of speed parts for it, and have changed it from a 218 to a 230. The engine is almost finished, and is just about ready to drop back in the car. I can't wait to hear it purr, and am hoping it will bring back some of those early memories of my truck. Also, I'm a bit of a rival with my brother, who is a GM trained mechanic, and a dyed in the wool 350 type. If it isn't a blown 350, it isn't worthy in his mind. He fully expected me to deep six the six, and get out the sawzall to make a 350 fit. Needless to say, I've endurred loads of grief for keeping it, let alone rebuilding it. But, it is going to be damn cool, IMHO, and more so than any mail order rod seen by the dozens at every show. I could have done the blown 350 for less $, but it wouldn't have been nearly as satisfying or fun.

Have a look at my project if your interested, at:

http://home.rmci.net/blueskies/plymouth.html

Pete

------------------
Check out the restoration of my '50 Plymouth here:
http://home.rmci.net/blueskies/plymouth.html

[This message has been edited by blueskies (edited 04-14-2003).]

[This message has been edited by blueskies (edited 04-14-2003).]

#31973 04/15/03 12:47 PM
P
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
P
WAY COOL WEBSITE!

I think I'm gettin' inspired...

Oh yeah... Tell yer Brother Thhhpppptthhh!

350's are like buttholes, everybody's got one and most stink...

------------------
(O)2(O)5(O)0(O)S(O)I(O)X
PHAT250Six
250 L6 in a '69 Camaro

[This message has been edited by PHAT250Six (edited 04-15-2003).]

(O)2(O)5(O)0(O)S(O)I(O)X
PHAT250Six
250 L6 in a '69 Camaro
#31974 04/18/03 04:06 AM
K
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
K
blueskies, your website is fantastic. I have a few questions. 1 Did you measure the rod side clearance on the crank? 2 Did you measure the crank end play? 3 What kind of rings came in the kit - iron or chrome moly?
4 Did the machine shop who did your block recommend any special break-in procedures? 5 Are there any special break-in instructions for your reground cam? 6 What weight oil are you going to use for break-in? 7 Have you considered using Synthetic Motor Oil once she's broken in?
A couple of years ago HORSEPOWER TV did a Ford Flathead V-8 build-up with the help of a flathead specialty shop. I taped the episode and over the next few days will try to find it and give you their name and info. They really know flatheads and may be helpful to you.
That aluminum head on your 230 is a piece of art.
Good luck with the disc brakes.
Ken

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 192 guests, and 47 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available