Print Thread
Rate Thread
#35381 10/01/05 09:41 AM
I
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
I
I visit this site daily, now that I coughed up the bucks to join. \:\)

Seems this section just sits, kinda like watching paint dry. Thank goodness for the bowtie excitement in the other sections.

Can't say I've started a "corny" thread before but what they hey, time to live a little. \:\)

Thought I would spice it up a little and ask, whos into the old ford inline?

In what way have you modified the ford inline?

What have you modified and wished you hadn't to the ford inline? What would you have done differently?

Whats your current project(s)?

What were some of your old projects?

What vehicle is the ford inline going into?

I won't waste too much space here, I have a late model (relatively speaking) truck with an efi, looking to add a cam shortly, yeah, exciting stuff :rolleyes: . All previous inlines have been stock up to this point and the bent 8 stories don't apply. \:\)

D
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
D
My present ride isn't Ford powered, it's a Model A with a 4-banger Mercruiser/4-speed, but I like Ford inlines and have had several since '56. I've had flathead sixes, several 200 and 250 integral- head engines in '60s era Mustangs and vans, and a very nice '67 240 pickup.

One of the most rewarding cars I ever had was a '65 Mustang with a 200 six in it. Hot Rod Magazine did a build up on one and I followed their recommendations with the three single barrel carbs on an Offy adapter, Isky cam, headers and some porting. A buddy's '64 1/2 260 V8 Mustang couldn't catch me, until we got close to 100 mph! I could easily beat him in the quarter mile, though. The power and acceleration that little engine put out was amazing!

Lord, let me live long enough to do all the projects I have planned!
T
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
T
i am working on a 226 flathead six for a model A roadster pickup. sort-of o 40s era hot rod. with a little rat rod in it! anyone have anything for one of these????? how is that mercruiser working dennis? i thought about one of those.got any pics?

I
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
I
Interesting stuff fellas.

Good luck with your projects

B
Newcomer
Newcomer
B
I've got a 77 F100... well, you can read about it in my signature, I suppose.

Anyway, I finally made the leap to this site today, after hearing about it numerous times from fordsix.com, and I met a great guy named Brad in the parking lot of the auto parts store today as I was installing my new PS pump, who came up and commented on my carburetor. We then got to BS'ing about Ford sixes, and he encouraged me to check this out, so I'm here.

77 F100, 300 I6, 3-speed manual, Clifford Intake, Road Demon 525, Dual outlet manifolds with single 2.5" x 24" glasspack
K
Newcomer
Newcomer
K

As you can see, I'm in the process on a 55 tudor customline.
It has a 223 that i've installed an alternator,pertronix ignitor,and am also in process of installing an Offy 2-1bbl. manifold w/ 2 1904 holleys on it.
Thays me in the back w/ a spray mask on, and my dog Lucy to the right.

I
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
I
Looks good keefer55, what color do you plan on painting the car?

S
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
S
I've got a '50 F2 pickup with 226 flattie. Only mod is Holley/Weber carb, otherwise stock, tho am hoping to do the split exhaust sometime soon. truck is reasonably original unrestored.

I
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
I
Subbass32

Do you have any pictures, sounds like an interesting truck?

Good luck with your project

A
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
A
Amodel25

I have a 226 flattie in a '51 Ford car (presently shown on the Inliner's home page at Tim Berry's picnic). Have a Nicson 2 x 1 intake with square bowl Holley singles, 3/4 grind flathead cam by Nielsen Cams, home made split manifold, Crane electronic ignition. I just scored a Knudsen aluminum head but its not on the car yet. The car runs good and sounds good.

S
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
S
Amodel25,

How did you do your split manifold? Do you have any pics? What is the rest of your exhaust setup?

Thanks!!

Nick

A
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
A
I used a car manifold and the outlet sawed from a truck manifold. Cut as close to the manifold body as possible. The truck outlet fit the contour of the car manifold real nice. I used a divider plate in the center that blacked about 90%(this was info from an old time hotrodder, everyone has their own opinion about percent division for the best sound). I do not have any pics right now but I will try to post some in the next few days.

A
Newcomer
Newcomer
A
i have a '42 tudor, the g series flattie and all the rest of the running gear, is headed for a rat rod that dad(63),myself(43) and my son(5) are going to build. we are currently searching for hi-po goodies for the flh, any help would be greatly appreciated.

I
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
I
I have two Ford six (300ci) powered projects.
My 1957 Ford F100 PU has an Offie DP 4bbl intake, EFI headers w/Flowmasters, a AOD tranny, and 370 gears. I have been kicking around the idea of rather than using a 390 Holley, just defeating the DP function with a spread-bore adapter, and using a quadrajet carb.

My second 300 Ford powered project is a "Highboy" 36 Ford stakebed ratrod. It will be running a Clfford 2X2 intake, modified EFI headers, and a C4 trans.

Steve Wyatt
1936 Ford highboy PU 300/C4 Ford 6
1957 Ford F-100 300/AOD Ford 6
This is one inline engine junkie that bleeds Ford blue.
F
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
F
I race a vintage dirt track car.My car is a 31 model A sedan with a 300 six for power.I raced these old cars back in the 60's. After 40 years
racing is finally fun again.
Andy

dirt is for racing, asphalt is for getting there
I
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
I
Ya'll have any pictures? \:\)

C
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
C
I dunno if I can be called a Ford enthusiast, but here's my current project:

I got this in September and have had a few interruptions in getting to work on it...finishing a house-type project, tryin to get my 85 Monte Carlo finished up to the point where I could drive it out of the garage (I didn't make it) and an unscheduled stay in the hospital...which REALLY threw a wrench in the works.

But I'm back puttering on it as much as my oxygen line leash allows me to. I'm hoping to accomplish some small/medium stuff during the winter and then address the motor/running gear in the spring.

For the moment, I'm gonna keep the "banger" motor in it. All I know is that I was told, "it turns over" when I bought it. Who knows what shape it's in.

If I need to rebuild it, I'm wondering about doing a full pressure motor with insert bearings, rather than retaining the splash-oiled, babbit bearing setup. I'd really like to end up with a high-compression head and a pair of Strombergs, along with some other goodies on it. I'd hate to tear the bottom end up with too high a compression ratio on the top end. (6.3 is about the maximum that I've found recommended for babbit motors...and I'd like to run 7.0 or better if possible.)

So...any ideas (other than replacing it with a 300 incher?) Eventually it'll migrate to a flatty V8, but I wanna play with the 4-cylinder motor for a while.

M
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
M
1980. Built a 1/4 mile dirt oval track racer using a '68 Mustang body on a shortened and narrowed '66 Gallaxy chassis. Every one else was running the 250 Chev engine with the siamesed intake ports. I chose the 12 port 240 Ford engine. In '81 the rules allowed any V-8 up to 360 cubes to run with cam and valve size restrictions. 6 cylinder engines were unrestricted. In went the stainless 1.94 / 1.6 valves with attendant port mods, 302 .030 forged pistons, CompCams #F60-280B-8 cam & kit, 3into1 headers and a dual short ram intake manifold running a pair of 290cfm Holley 2bbls. 7200rpm going into turns 1 and 3. Ran heads up, wheel to wheel with the V-8 boys. Later that season , put that set-up on a flattop 389 Pontiac pistoned 300, lots more jump off turns 2 and 4. Changed the rear gear to bring peak RPM down on the long stroke engine, just let the torque do the work. Built another 300 at .040 to install 340 Dodge pistons - had to remove .040 off piston heads to establish correct deck. Stock cam, stock head. Installed into '65 Ford pickup. Too much compression even for 92 octane at operating temp., and recurved distributor. Needed some 108 octane boost to sort it out.
Another 300 buildup uses forged 390 V8 pistons at .050 overbore, 1.94/1.60 valve combo jiggled by a Crane #M-282-C cam. Experimenting with a 6 position side entry cooling system with a 6 exit to try to equalize cylinder and head temps ala Indy race engines. The stock water pump will not be able to ever again overcool #1 cylinder. Have not heard this one run. Slated for a an open wheel hot rod of some description. Carberation? Probably similar to the stock car engine except with twin Holley/Webers from 2300 Pinto engines. The progressive feature of these carbs should help this become a streetable driver. Any thoughts in 240/300 Ford country?

n/a
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Hi. I've been around here since dirt was new and many of you Ford bluebloods probably have seen my hot rods on the racing section. If not, here is a synopsis:

(2)'23T drag cars - 300 powered

'30 pickup roadster - 300 powered

'33 Willys street hot rod - 300 powered

'48 Anglia street rod - 240 powered

1940's era Indy style big car under construction - Duesenberg faux inline 8 DOHC

Plus some other V8 powered junk - '30 tub - 5.0 HO; '46 Pickup - 460 old skool tow vehicle

Also see www.fordsix.com if you like ford sixes.

Peace.

FORD 300 inline six - THE BEST KEPT SECRET IN DRAG RACING!
T
Newcomer
Newcomer
T
New guy here, I got my son an 82 F100 stepside. 300,3 on the tree, no A/C, no radio.

WOrkin out a few bugs but it runs strong.

82 F100
N
Contributor
Contributor
N
I had a 82' F100 with a 300 sold it. now working on a 78' pinto full tube chassis car putting in a 300/c4 combo in it.

Az Chapter Head
Club Merchandise Coordinator

34' Ford Cabriolet Ford 300 & C-4 under Construction
R
Newcomer
Newcomer
R
Well I'm new here, I have a 1947 Ford Pick-up with a flathead 6.....the "G". Once I get alittle more money I'm gonna rebuid the motor... and rat rod it, 50's style...
[img]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/129/403103377_43d2ec8971.jpg?v=0[/img]

D
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
D
Welcome.That Ford looks too nice to be RatRodded, but,hey,it's your truck.

Drew
Mid-Atlantic Chapter
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
RedSkin,
Cool truck. I'm working on a '46 (same) truck - also 50's style - to pull my race cars. 3" chop, 460 V8, 9" posi, smoothie box and running boards, reworked grille panel, two-tone paint,etc. Hope to have it done next spring. Good luck.

FORD 300 inline six - THE BEST KEPT SECRET IN DRAG RACING!
E
edl Offline
Newcomer
Newcomer
E
1962 falcon,170 w/ a fordomatic, hadn't been started in over a year and a half.Changed the oil,fully charged battery,drop of gas started right up last Thursday. Friday and Saturday made two round trips to N.E. Falcon Regionals, Worcester to Sturbridge at 50 mph w/o a problem

Edward Lindberg

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (41 Coupe), 381 guests, and 42 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available